Checking email on the Nook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Oliver

Default Checking email on the Nook

I am not computer savvy at all. For those of you who check your email on your Nook, how do you do it? Can anyone give me a step by step tutorial? Can you write an email to someone and send it? I have a tough time touching the correct letters. Does anyone else have that problem? For those of you with WiFi, what do you use it for other than shopping for new ebooks and BN.com? I would greatly appreciate any help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Thing 2

Default Re: Checking email on the Nook

i could go do it, i dont want to give you a long complicated way so are we talking in the web browser?
    [quote author=Klaatu link=topic=6826.msg72577#msg72577 date=1296793819]
    'Stay thirsty, my friends.' [/quote]

Tom Sawyer

Quote Originally Posted by mominwestlake
    I am not computer savvy at all. For those of you who check your email on your Nook, how do you do it? Can anyone give me a step by step tutorial? Can you write an email to someone and send it? I have a tough time touching the correct letters. Does anyone else have that problem? For those of you with WiFi, what do you use it for other than shopping for new ebooks and BN.com? I would greatly appreciate any help!
    I can't go into big detail as to how I did it (just hacked away), but it worked.

I did it the other day at home, just to try. It worked better than my in-store experience suggested. For an email, the touch screen is actually ok as they go - I've used worse. The browsing experience is sort of weird, but if you *really* needed to find something out, it's there. I did write and send an email from gmail.

If you have a hard time w/the keyboard, you could try a stylus substitute. The nook doesn't come w/one, but if you have a phone w/one or a Nitendo DS w/one, that would work. Could also try the eraser on a pencil or even the part of a plastic pen cap that is intended to clip the pen to paper might work - anything smaller than your fingertip that won't hurt the screen.

I don't expect to be using my nook to do a lot of web surfing.

Tom Sawyer

Just make sure you get what's called a capacitive stylus. You can't use the plastic-tipped kind, like for the Nintendo DS, you need one with a smooth, wide rubber tip. I got one on ebay for $4.
    Currently reading the entire Animorphs series

Mad Hatter

If you have a gmail account, you can use this URL on your Nook (m.gmail.com) to check it out.

Here's some info we were sharing about using the Nook web browser for 'mobile' sites:
    http://www.nookboards.com/forum/inde...18537#msg18537

Donna

Puck

Wish there was an actual e-mail client.

Mowgli

Wow, Nekowafer, I've tried everything (including the stylus from my eBookwise) and couldn't find anything that worked. I have a terrible time with the Nook keyboard.

However, when I searched for capacitive stylus on eBay, there were a million listed for phones. Will these work with my Nook? I really need something like that as I find everything difficult using my finger.

Mad Hatter

Somebody speak up if I am wrong...

There are different forms that capacitive stylus come in (pen vs 'stick' type).

Long/short, I believe regardless of form that they are the same thing - They allow the necessary contact (I know that there is a more technical explanation for how these work, but for this purpose of this thread I am not going to delve into that) on the screen.
    Donna

Puck

Capacitive is capacitive. It comes down to personal preference such as pen, want, thick, thin. etc...
    Reading Now: Hostile Intent
    Recently Finished: The Pawn

Tom Sawyer

As far as I know, any type of capacitive stylus should work. Of course there are different types.. mine has a rubber tip, there are some with foam tips, which I haven't tried. As far as I know, any kind that you can use with an ipod touch should work with the nook.

Here is the one I got. It's not perfect, and still requires some fidgeting, but once you get used to it, it should be easier.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_964wt_1139

You might want a bigger one for normal use, this one is pretty short.
    Currently reading the entire Animorphs series