Internet protection/anti virus protection for nook color

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Tiny Tim

Default Internet protection/anti virus protection for nook color

Is it necessary to download anti virus protection to protect your nook color while using the browser and visiting different sites? If so, which ones are compitable......McAfee,Norton''s?
    Thanks,
    Rene'

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mowgli

Default Re: Internet protection/anti virus protection for nook color

Some one fact check me, but, I haven't heard of any viruses for the android platform. There are some malware apps out there but if you are not rooting and loading a bunch of apps I wouldn't worry about it.
    'Eating solid food since 1957'

Tiny Tim

Thank you. I am not planning to root, just wanted to make sure my nc is prorected both externally and internally.

Here's a question. Since you have to register your Nook, it obviously stores your password and cc information (since that's how it knows to authorize it). How safe is your information on either Nook if, say, you connected to a public hotspot? Hackers can exploit anything and this question was posed to me today. I didn't have an answer.

As kmack says there are presently no known self-replicating computer-type viruses for Android (or iOS for that matter). Nor is there any anti-virus software available for Android, anyway, to my knowledge. There are apps that can steal information but your NC would have to be rooted to install them. So if you're not planning to root it you should be relatively safe.

As to the Jenn's public Wi Fi question, I also think one would be safe from transmitting any sensitive information since, as far as I know, a Nook does not constantly send the password and CC # to B&N even when buying new eBooks. The device is already registered so I would think it would not need to send data like that again. However if you are browsing other web sites then it is possible for someone to pick up on what you are sending across the Wi Fi network. So if you're worried about things like that just don't send sensitive information over public Wi Fi hotspots.

I checked McDonald's web site and it does not appear they are using even SSL encryption on their hotspots, so it is a good idea not to send any passwords at all over their Wi Fi networks.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Klaatu
    As kmack says there are presently no known self-replicating computer-type viruses for Android (or iOS for that matter). Nor is there any anti-virus software available for Android, anyway, to my knowledge. There are apps that can steal information but your NC would have to be rooted to install them. So if you're not planning to root it you should be relatively safe.

As to the Jenn's public Wi Fi question, I also think one would be safe from transmitting any sensitive information since, as far as I know, a Nook does not constantly send the password and CC # to B&N even when buying new eBooks. The device is already registered so I would think it would not need to send data like that again. However if you are browsing other web sites then it is possible for someone to pick up on what you are sending across the Wi Fi network. So if you're worried about things like that just don't send sensitive information over public Wi Fi hotspots.

I checked McDonald's web site and it does not appear they are using even SSL encryption on their hotspots, so it is a good idea not to send any passwords at all over their Wi Fi networks.

Regards,
    Michael
    But that's not what I mean. Your credit card information is stored in your Nook, in the digital architecture, somewhere, right? That's how it knows to authorize books you buy from B&N. Here's the question that was raised to me:
    Second, if the Nook asks me for a name and credit card number and the nook is not connected to a network, then the information must be stored in the book file or nook. There is no other way for the device to know I've entered the correct information. As an experiment I entered in a bogus name and credit card number which failed to activate the book. This indicates the nook is storing the information, be it on the nook itself (some "nook system" file) or in the book file. This also means were I ever to choose to activate the Wi-Fi function in a BandN store, it may be possible for a hacker to pull that information from the nook. It's not that farfetched and not that hard.
    So basically, the device just has to have the WiFi signal on. I guess the answer is to keep it off unless you're using it actively, but this is still pretty unsafe. My biggest concern here is identity theft, above all others. Hackers have already targeted cell phones in the past, so why not e-readers?

Ah, I see what you're asking now. As far as I know there is no way for someone to remotely log into a Nook OS and poke around in the file system. Plus I'm making an assumption that Nook OS does not store that information unencrypted. So even if someone were able to find where that information is stored and can get it off a Nook remotely they would not be able to easily read it. In my opinion this concern is not really that much of a danger. However actively sending data over an unencrypted network, such as a McDonald's Wi Fi hotspot, is really not a good idea.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

Tom Sawyer

Quote Originally Posted by sunshinejenn03
    But that's not what I mean. Your credit card information is stored in your Nook, in the digital architecture, somewhere, right? That's how it knows to authorize books you buy from B&N. Here's the question that was raised to me:So basically, the device just has to have the WiFi signal on. I guess the answer is to keep it off unless you're using it actively, but this is still pretty unsafe. My biggest concern here is identity theft, above all others. Hackers have already targeted cell phones in the past, so why not e-readers?
    I don't think that's the case, but don't quote me on this. It is more likely that your CC info is stored at B&N.com and is linked to the unique serial number of your nook.

Mr. Darcy

Quote Originally Posted by dbeman
    I don't think that's the case, but don't quote me on this. It is more likely that your CC info is stored at B&N.com and is linked to the unique serial number of your nook.
    I believe this is the case, as well. It's stored within B&N's actual servers, not your Nook. When you purchase something and it connects to the store, the B&N system goes: "Ah! This is Nook #457bx. Retrieve the data, server lacky!"
    Currently reading... The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown (Nook Color).

If that were truly the case, then you wouldn't be able to read books from B&N when you are not connected to Wifi or 3G. Correct? Let me just copy and paste the whole email:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding required credit card information

for the nook.

All publishers require that the eBooks they submit, including free

eBooks, are encrypted for each customer. Currently, the ?unlock? device

is the billing name and credit card number of the primary credit card on

your Barnes & Noble account.

Please note that for security reasons Barnes & Noble does not store your

card information in the NOOKbook or on your device.

Sincerely,

Michelle

Customer Service Representative

Barnes & Noble
    Response:
    Michelle,

Thank you for your response. I don't mean to be a pain but consider the following points.

First, the Vince Flynn books I have recently ordered are the first to ask for the information. I've ordered many other books and have not had to enter my name and credit card number. I download the books from BandN to my computer then copy the books to the nook. It's a form of back up for me.

Second, if the Nook asks me for a name and credit card number and the nook is not connected to a network, then the information must be stored in the book file or nook. There is no other way for the device to know I've entered the correct information. As an experiment I entered in a bogus name and credit card number which failed to activate the book. This indicates the nook is storing the information, be it on the nook itself (some "nook system" file) or in the book file. This also means were I ever to choose to activate the Wi-Fi function in a BandN store, it may possible for a hacker to pull that information from the nook. It's not that farfetched and not that hard.

I do not like not having a choice on where I enter my credit card number. I work in the IT field with loss prevention data for a medium size retailer and as you can imagine I take the protection of my information seriously.

I do like your product but if this is the way BandN has decided to proceed with rights management then I have some decisions to make.

The most obvious and simple solution for me would be to become a member of various libraries and "borrow" the books.

Thanks for your time.
    He sideloads everything. His Nook is unregistered, he purchases his books from B&N on the computer and then sideloads each book. WiFi is turned off. So if it were stored on their servers, why can't he sideload these books without being prompted for a password by a device that isn't even connected to the internet?