Nook Charger Issue

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Oliver

Default Nook Charger Issue

The NOOK charger adapter is the same as the new universal cell phone chargers. Each fit each other. BE CAREFUL of two things...1. Using a cell phone charger on the nook will cause the charger wire to overheat and smoke...will be in the new one day for a house fire! 2. Using the Nook charger for a cell phone...fried my husband's blackberry...he lost all of his data.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: Nook Charger Issue

I've used my Env3's charger on my NOOK before, it didn't overheat. I did only use the cable and not the adapter though. Just as an added note. :3

Mr. Darcy

The most important thing to check when using other adapters, for whatever gadget, is to check the output of the adapter. Most put out 5V, but it's the Amps you have to pay attention to. The nook wall adapter that comes with the nook (classic) lists 0.85A as the output. Too much or too little amps could damage whatever electronic gizmo you have charged to it.

Sorry to hear about your husband's phone..
    Currently reading: The Sworn by Gail Z. Martin

Mr. Darcy

On a related note, seeing this thread reminded me of the following caution in the NOOKcolor user manual:

"CAUTION: Only use the Barnes & Noble power adapter and custom microUSB cable supplied with your NOOKcolor. Other power adapters might damage your NOOKcolor and its battery. Do not use a power adapter and cable intended for other models of NOOK eReader. Use only a NOOKcolor power adapter and cable."

An inspection of my nook and NOOKcolor chargers revealed the difference:

nook charger output - 5.0V, 0.85A

NOOKcolor charger output - 5.0V, 1.9A

Quote Originally Posted by sueconlon
    The NOOK charger adapter is the same as the new universal cell phone chargers. Each fit each other. BE CAREFUL of two things...1. Using a cell phone charger on the nook will cause the charger wire to overheat and smoke...will be in the new one day for a house fire! 2. Using the Nook charger for a cell phone...fried my husband's blackberry...he lost all of his data.
    Use a Sharpie and carefully color in the recessed "nook" logo on the adapter. That way it will be easier to tell the 2 apart.

Tom Sawyer

On the other hand, my Droid X is totally compatible with the Nook Classic charger and I've used it successfully numerous times. I have to use the Nook's charger on the Nook because it seems like all of the other micro usb plugs are loose when I try to plug them into the Nook. (Even the actual Nook one is loose, but I can get it to stay in with care.)

Tiny Tim

Newbie to the Nook Color - just bought a few days ago and was wondering about my charger options!

I have chargers w/ mini-USB plugs for 3-4 other devices (e.g. Garmin GPS) and all seem to put out 5V - the amp may vary; plus, the plug does not seem to fit all of these devices.

My question is there an option (even a 3rd party provider) that would permit taking just one charger on the road that may be compatible w/ all of these devices? I'm about to retire and there is just so much one wants to pack regarding electronic equipment (and of course forgotten in hotel rooms) - thanks for any advice?

d'Artagnan

Quote Originally Posted by RadmanDave
    Newbie to the Nook Color - just bought a few days ago and was wondering about my charger options!

I have chargers w/ mini-USB plugs for 3-4 other devices (e.g. Garmin GPS) and all seem to put out 5V - the amp may vary; plus, the plug does not seem to fit all of these devices.

My question is there an option (even a 3rd party provider) that would permit taking just one charger on the road that may be compatible w/ all of these devices? I'm about to retire and there is just so much one wants to pack regarding electronic equipment (and of course forgotten in hotel rooms) - thanks for any advice?
    http://www.amazon.com/Think-Outside-...7920500&sr=8-8
    I picked up one of these a while back - have used it for both my Kindles, my Sony reader, and (I believe) my Nook, as well as my iPod and iPhone. You need different tips for different devices - lots easier to carry for travel than all those different charging cords. Mine came with a little pouch to carry everything in.
    em
    Kindling since August 2008, Kindle Fire, K$79; Nook Color w/N2A card; iPad 1

Tiny Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Meemo
    http://www.amazon.com/Think-Outside-...7920500&sr=8-8
    I picked up one of these a while back - have used it for both my Kindles, my Sony reader, and (I believe) my Nook, as well as my iPod and iPhone. You need different tips for different devices - lots easier to carry for travel than all those different charging cords. Mine came with a little pouch to carry everything in.
    Thanks Meemo for the advice above - I like those iGo products - would be wonderful to have just one charger w/ multiple options for all the devices that one seems to WANT to carry on the road in traveling - a real pain!

Tom Sawyer

Default To Padawan or anyone with this info

Where is the output info posted? I have cell phone chargers that "fit" my N1E but in the very beginning, when I did charge with the cell phone charger, shortly thereafter, my NOOK would not talk to my Laptop. It only worked when I replaced the Nook cord.

I am afraid to use a cell charger now, although I would LOVE to use the car cell charger on the Nook, if I could verify its output.

Thanks!