Apparently this is bad Nook luck day

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Apparently this is bad Nook luck day

My Nook USB cord is not working. I can charge it using my old Blackberry USB charger (which is handy for when I want to read in bed, because it's a lot longer, so yay), but it's a regular charger, not a USB-to-microUSB cable. My Nook charger is loose on the USB end when I plug it in to my Nook, and the Nook doesn't recognize it at all. No orange charge light, no icon on my computer, nothing. I'm peeved. I really wanted to sideload a new book I just downloaded on to the Nook, but now I'm going to have to go to the store and either buy a new one (over-priced) or get on my hands and knees and beg the sales associate to swap mine (which has a few Cricket teeth marks on the plastic covering from when I first got it and he found it dangling off the side of the table - lesson learned) with a new one.

So bummed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

d'Artagnan

Default Re: Apparently this is bad Nook luck day

Which end is the USB loose on, nook (micro) or charger (regular)? Hopefully the end that goes into the charger.
    You can sometimes repair the metal shield/frame of the regular USB plug using different sized flat head screw drivers.
    I was able to bring back from the dead my son's thumbdrive when the USB plug got badly mangled.
    Was able to bend it back to shape, enough to fit snug and work again.
    peace out...

The end that goes into the Nook.

Puck

Sorry to hear that and would try to go for a full exchange.
    As it may not just be the cable but actual connector in the nook.

As a result of their bad fitting design and force used. Some have been damaged over time.

d'Artagnan

Quote Originally Posted by sunshinejenn03
    The end that goes into the Nook.
    dang it.
    Is the micro-USB plug look bent/distorted/expanded or is it more the cable body got munched?
    I'm just curious if the disconnect is at USB contacts or back farther in cable.
    Actually the nook is touchy with power, wiggling might not show anything since even with a good connection it takes mine several seconds to light the little charge light. Instead of wiggling, try gently holding the loose plug snug in each of four different directions for 6 seconds or so just to see if you get a charge light (up/down/left/right). Even if this works it's probably better to get a cable exchange if you can.
    peace out...

Nah, the cable looks fine. When you stick the head of the micro end into the Nook, it's really loose. I know it's not the port, because the other micro-USB charger works fine on it. When I inspected the metal end, everything looked okay, and it was working a couple of days ago...
    I dunno. I'm just going to swing over there. Not like it's out of the way, but this is weird.

d'Artagnan

I would think they'd exchange it from what you describe.
    Good luck and let us know what happens!
    peace out...

Super Moderator

Whata bummer! It's weird that it just stopped working out of nowhere and there doesn't seem to be any physical damage to it. Hopefully they will exchange it for you!

Off-Topic.. Knick knack, I see you're reading American Gods! I LOOOOOVED that book, it's amazing! It made me a Gaiman fan for life I think! After you read that, there is a book of short stories called Fragile Things and their is a story featuring Shadow - shortly after we leave him in Amercan Gods I was so excited when I read that short story after reading Amercan Gods, it felt like I was catching up with a friend, unexpectedly!
    Currently reading:
    The Poisoned House - Michael Ford
    Book Challenge 2011 38 bks read of 60

12,724 Pages Read of 12,000

My Shelf Confessions

d'Artagnan

Extended-Off-Topic... I really am enjoying it! Gaiman is such a favorite of mine also. Geez, I feel so sorry for Shadow with all the things happening to him. Will the poor guy catch a break? I hope so.
    I have Fragile Things also but haven't started it. I'll have to hit that one next, thanks for the tip!
    peace out...

Puck

the charger for my NC fell apart the other morning, the part that goes into the NC. just fell apart. luckily i had another one. no more bad juju for the nooks, we need an exorcism for our readers
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cheap-e-Reads/163454373711210#
    http://cheapereads.blogspot.com/