Nook color apps and update...versus tablet



+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Oliver
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1

    Default Nook color apps and update...versus tablet

    I am hoping someone here can help this teckNO challenged person. I have been looking to get a relatively inexpensive tablet that I can use for my B&N on the road as well as be able to transfer a file when client needs and play angry birds when sitting and waiting for clients. I have the regular Nook 3G and my girlfriend has the Nook Color. she did the upgrade today and thought she would be able to tell me "told you so" about getting the NookColor to do it all....but she couldnt get the angry birds app to work. She thought everything she read on the upgrade would have allowed this.

    Anyone have any idea? I am basically leaning toward the Samsung because at least the price is under 375 bucks...and does all three, allows me to use my ring central to send files, lets me play angry birds and I can use the B&N on that also as I use it on my samsung galaxy phone. I just can't see well enough to use the phone for everything like that.

    Would love any input on this....NookColor versus tablet....

    or if anyone also knows of a good tablet besides the Galaxy...will consider any and all information, as I said, I am a bit of a techno challenged person...

    w

  2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Mr. Darcy
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    49

    Default Re: Nook color apps and update...versus tablet

    I am not sure how much help I can be, but I will try.

    First, I assume any Android tablet will suit your needs. It should allow you to store and transfer files, play Angry Birds and serve as a eReader. The term "inexpensive tablet" limits you within that range to only a small number of tablets that I am aware of. While at BestBuy yesterday I saw, displayed as part of the eReader section, both the Pandigital and Cruz tablets. They both are Android tablets so they should allow you to store and transfer files, they should have access to the Android Market and so provide Kindle and Nook eReader apps and they should both play Angry Birds.

    Both are relatively inexpensive. The normal price of the Pandigital is about $150 and for the Cruz about $200. But since I do not have either I cannot speak to how well built they are, how fast or how well the eReaders behave. However they are both relatively light and I have been thinking about buying the Pandigital myself (the Nook Color I have is really my wife's and I was thinking it might be nice to have an eReader smaller than the iPad I am currently using). The Pandigital seems to be pretty light with a spec weight of only 12 oz. That is lighter than the Nook Color.

    Hope this is of some help.

    Update: Did some checking on the Pandigital and the reviews indicate that it runs a "skinned down" version of the Android OS which, I assume, means that not all Android functionality is available. Perhaps it will run Angry Birds, perhaps not. Don't know, but wanted to let you know about the uncertainty. Perhaps the Android Marketplace is available on it, perhaps not. Don't know. Also don't know how fast it is because the specs did not include the chip speed. I guess that is what happens when you look at a $150 touch-screen eReader.

  4. #3
    Benjamin Button ktrek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,097

    Default Re: Nook color apps and update...versus tablet

    Quote Originally Posted by miksons
    I guess that is what happens when you look at a $150 touch-screen eReader.
    If you can call TAP TAP TAP touchscreen capability. If you expect the Pandigital to respond and act in any way like the nook color you would be sorely dissapointed.

    Kevin
    NOW READING:

    STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

  5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Tom Sawyer
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    150

    Default Re: Nook color apps and update...versus tablet

    That is so true. Reviewers have eaten alive both the pandigital and the cruz. They have the screen type that is not very responsive. Not like the Nook Color or IPad. It boils down to you get what you pay for. Do research before you buy. Look specifically for reviews.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ktrek
    If you can call TAP TAP TAP touchscreen capability. If you expect the Pandigital to respond and act in any way like the nook color you would be sorely dissapointed.

    Kevin
    Author of 'It Waits' (free), 'Dragons Fire and the Brave Little Prince' (.99), 'Rashnar' (free), 'Krae' (.99)
    http://robertyelverton.info
    http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/RMY
    http://www.feedbooks.com/user/127425/profile

  7. #5
    Tiny Tim
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    15

    Default Re: Nook color apps and update...versus tablet

    Quote Originally Posted by miksons
    I am not sure how much help I can be, but I will try.

    First, I assume any Android tablet will suit your needs. It should allow you to store and transfer files, play Angry Birds and serve as a eReader. The term "inexpensive tablet" limits you within that range to only a small number of tablets that I am aware of. While at BestBuy yesterday I saw, displayed as part of the eReader section, both the Pandigital and Cruz tablets. They both are Android tablets so they should allow you to store and transfer files, they should have access to the Android Market and so provide Kindle and Nook eReader apps and they should both play Angry Birds.

    Both are relatively inexpensive. The normal price of the Pandigital is about $150 and for the Cruz about $200. But since I do not have either I cannot speak to how well built they are, how fast or how well the eReaders behave. However they are both relatively light and I have been thinking about buying the Pandigital myself (the Nook Color I have is really my wife's and I was thinking it might be nice to have an eReader smaller than the iPad I am currently using). The Pandigital seems to be pretty light with a spec weight of only 12 oz. That is lighter than the Nook Color.

    Hope this is of some help.

    Update: Did some checking on the Pandigital and the reviews indicate that it runs a "skinned down" version of the Android OS which, I assume, means that not all Android functionality is available. Perhaps it will run Angry Birds, perhaps not. Don't know, but wanted to let you know about the uncertainty. Perhaps the Android Marketplace is available on it, perhaps not. Don't know. Also don't know how fast it is because the specs did not include the chip speed. I guess that is what happens when you look at a $150 touch-screen eReader.
    I have a White Pandigital Novel (WPDN) (picked up earlier this year for $60 on clearance at Kohl's). I flashed a custom firmware on it to enable it to function as a full Android tablet... Android Market, Amazon App Market, Google Experience apps. For $60 it makes an acceptable tablet for occasional use. The screen quality is tolerable for $60, but unacceptable for a device costing $150-170. Same goes for the build quality.

    I also have a nook color that has been autonootered. I prefer the optimization of the underly 2.1 Android OS to the newer custom firmwares out there that aren't as optimized for the nook color. I added Zeam as a launcher, and it works wonderfully.

    The $100 difference between a WPDN and nc is worth it IMO.

  8. #6
    Tiny Tim
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    18

    Default Re: Nook color apps and update...versus tablet

    Things you might consider include the Nook Color and Galaxy Tab (which you seem to be aware of) or the Dell Streak 7. The Dell Streak 7 is quite impressive except that the screen doesn't seem to have the resolution of the NC or Tab. This is based on reports in the tech news, I haven't seen the Streak 7 myself (nor do I want to, I do _NOT_ need to get another tablet!). If you do consider the Dell Streak 7, I'd make sure that you've seen what text looks like on the screen in the Nook app.

    The other option, if you don't need something right now, is to hold off and hope the numerous media reports of an Amazon Kindle tablet are true. You won't be able to read Nook Books on it, but (of course) it should be great for reading Amazon books.

  9. #7
    Mr. Darcy
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    42

    Default Re: Nook color apps and update...versus tablet

    Quote Originally Posted by cosmo
    I am hoping someone here can help this teckNO challenged person. I have been looking to get a relatively inexpensive tablet that I can use for my B&N on the road as well as be able to transfer a file when client needs and play angry birds when sitting and waiting for clients. I have the regular Nook 3G and my girlfriend has the Nook Color. she did the upgrade today and thought she would be able to tell me "told you so" about getting the NookColor to do it all....but she couldnt get the angry birds app to work. She thought everything she read on the upgrade would have allowed this.

    Anyone have any idea? I am basically leaning toward the Samsung because at least the price is under 375 bucks...and does all three, allows me to use my ring central to send files, lets me play angry birds and I can use the B&N on that also as I use it on my samsung galaxy phone. I just can't see well enough to use the phone for everything like that.

    Would love any input on this....NookColor versus tablet....

    or if anyone also knows of a good tablet besides the Galaxy...will consider any and all information, as I said, I am a bit of a techno challenged person...

    w
    I can't help you choose a tablet, but I can help with the Angry Birds issue. If your girlfriend has an SD card in her NC she has to take it out. Then Angry Birds will install without a problem. She can put the card back in afterwards.
    - Athena

    '...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.' ~Harry Dresden

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. NOOK Tablet software update
    By MikFinkel in forum nook Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-26-2012, 05:55 PM
  2. Nook Color Apps
    By musesinspire in forum nook Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-14-2012, 02:18 PM
  3. apps for Nook Color
    By rgb in forum nook color/tablet
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-13-2012, 03:19 PM
  4. Tablet vs. Color: Are there more Apps
    By XNook in forum App nook
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-17-2011, 08:48 PM
  5. Apps For Your Nook Color – Do More Than Just Read.
    By readerdock in forum nook Knacks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-22-2011, 10:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.0