Nook as a tablet?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mowgli

Default Nook as a tablet?

I'm thinking of purchasing the new Nook for hubby who loves to play poker and check email more than read lol. So I was wondering if the Nook functions well as a tablet? Since the ipad is double the price, I thought I would look into this first.
    Barbra Annino - OPAL FIRE
    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Opal-Fire/Barbra-Annino/e/2940012674456/?itm=1 -
    'This book had me laughing one minute and guessing the next. The end was truly surprising and unexpected!' -Melanie's Book Addiction

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Oliver

Default Re: Nook as a tablet?

Generally the Nook Color functions very well as a tablet, but it's first and foremost an E-book reader. Assuming he's not into hacking the Nook, it by default will play movies, music, surf the web, check e-mail, and run various apps (downloaded from the B&N app store). Is it an IPAD killer, not in my opinion, but for the money it is a very functional Android tablet.

Mowgli

Thanks!
    Barbra Annino - OPAL FIRE
    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Opal-Fire/Barbra-Annino/e/2940012674456/?itm=1 -
    'This book had me laughing one minute and guessing the next. The end was truly surprising and unexpected!' -Melanie's Book Addiction

Administrator

I think the only downside is that you can't get the 3G service on the nook color, so to do something like check email you'd have to be near a free wireless hotspot or at home if you have wireless. I believe you can buy 3G service with the iPad (I could be wrong on that). I would pay for 3G service with the nook, because if it had that I would use it as a tablet a whole lot more!!

Rachel
    Visit the Barnes & Noble Store

Now Reading: As Young as We Feel by Melanie Carlson

Mr. Darcy

The Nook Color is a very nice little tablet. The best part is it is getting better with time.

Since you mentioned games, developers like the one I work for are working really hard to bring more games to the Nook Color so that is something to look for in the near future!
    Lover of Classic Novels
    Community Manager for Toy Studio - Developer of Nook Color apps

Tiny Tim

Anyone here own both a new color Nook AND an iPad or iPhone? How would you compare the touch screens? I remember playing with an earlier Nook and finding the touch screen not as responsive as my iPhone.
    'An absorbing tale of lost love, mystery, and paranormal longing'
    - UW Bookstore Staff Favorite. (EVERLIVING)
    - LoveWebRadio Book of the Month
    - DailyCheapReads Top Four of 2010. ([i]MOURNING)

kit
    Tiny Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel
    I think the only downside is that you can't get the 3G service on the nook color, so to do something like check email you'd have to be near a free wireless hotspot or at home if you have wireless. I believe you can buy 3G service with the iPad (I could be wrong on that). I would pay for 3G service with the nook, because if it had that I would use it as a tablet a whole lot more!!
    Rachel
    Hi all. 3g would be nice, but I use my android phone as a wireless hotspot so I'm always connected. NC stock is a nice ereader with some tablet functions. Just ordered an N2A card 16 gb so I will soon have full access to the android market. I here it functions very well as a tablet. It is a dual boot card, so you can always boot back to stock NC. iPad is also nice, but the price isn't, plus it is not as portable as the NC. Just looking at the galaxy tab last night, now 199.00. If I didn't already own a NC, I think I would have bought this. Hear good things about GT also.

Puck

My wife is looking at the NC, she wants an ereader, she would also like to use it as a note taking appliance... games.

How well does it work out of the box for writing somewhat longish notes?

Puck

Here's my recommendation.

If you want a tablet, don't want to spend iPad money, and also don't want a $100 piece of crap from Hong Kong, buy a nookColor and root it.
    If you're not sure you want a tablet and would like to see what the big deal is with out really committing yourself, buy a nookColor and don't root it.
    If you want a tablet and already have an iPhone and iPod, you're in too deep already, buy an iPad.
    If you know you don't want an iPad, but do want a 10" screen, look through these: http://reviews.cnet.com/best-tablets...in;contentBody
    If none of these fit you situation, adopt a dog from the pound, it'll love you more than a tablet ever could.

Mr. Darcy

If none of these fit you situation, adopt a dog from the pound, it'll love you more than a tablet ever could.
    Haha! But does it come with an app that will pick up your yard?

To NightGoat, Nook Color has the App Evernote, which I love for taking and organizing notes.
    Lover of Classic Novels
    Community Manager for Toy Studio - Developer of Nook Color apps