Received replacement nook - ? on setting up new one

+ Reply to Thread

Default Received replacement nook - ? on setting up new one

So I got my replacement nook (because first one has a crack in the bezel)...
    I'm charging the new one up now- and have backed up all the info from the old one on an external harddrive...
    My question is - what are the steps to setting up the new one - do I need to 'un-register" the old one first? Do I register new one then sideload my backed up material? Do I sideload THEN register? I just don't want to flub it up!
    Joy Hamilton
    Joy Hamilton Photography
    www.joyhamiltonphotography.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: Received replacement nook - ? on setting up new one

BUMPY BUMPY - anyone anyone?!
    Joy Hamilton
    Joy Hamilton Photography

Hi Joy,
    I've set up a couple of replacement nooks. So here's some answers from my expereince
    • You can register the new Nook without unregistering the old one (BTW: you can have up to 6 nooks on one acct)
    • When you unregister the old one all of your data, including sideloaded books will disappear
    • Register the new Nook first and then sideload the other books
    I hope that answers all of your questions. Oh, some of your B&N books may not open on the new Nook so you'll need to got "View Item Details & Options) for the book and press download.
    ~CeCe

Default Re: Received replacement nook - ? on setting up UPDATE!!! OMG

OMG OMG OMG
    just about 2 hours working on this problem - just today - not counting the hour or so I fiddled with it last night.
    So I get the new one all registered...see my B&N library just fine...sideload my other content NOTHING. All I see in "my documents" is the Tour Guide and Manual. Now I can SEE all the books listed in Windows Explorer just fine..they are just not "there" when I eject the nook from the PC and look in "my documents"
    I did all sorts of combinations. Unregistered old one, re-registered new one, delete all books, re-load using ADE, that didn't work, reload using calibre, that doesn't work, reload just ONE - nope still nothing.

So after the second tech support person (three if you count the one I talked to on the phone while standing at the nook counter in my physical B&N), the last guy tells me to basically fall back to factory...so I go through holding the power button counting to 20 SIX times, that initiates the nook going back to the original firmware it was built with (pre 1.4), I load one book just dragging and dropping - and ta daaaaa - yes it is there.

Now here comes the moment of truth. As soon as it booted up - of course it says you have new updates. (to 1.4). So the rep tells me to update and then side load...
    I held my breath till I went to 'my documents' and saw that the file could actually STILL be seen and again when I added another couple books to see if they would show up!!!!!! YES - WHEW - now I can get this cracked one back to B&N

There really needs to be a better option (like using a paperclip to initiate going back to factory firmware OR SOMETHING) instead of the holding the power button for 20 seconds SIX times....

Even as technically inclined as I am - that was PAINFUL
    Joy Hamilton
    Joy Hamilton Photography

Mad Hatter

Joy, gosh I think my heart woulda' stopped if that had happened... I am so glad things seem okay for you now!
    Donna

Well being that I've had some very close calls almost losing some images of my last baby's first year...and some client images....I back up and back up again. I have all my nook material backed up on an external, that is replicated to another one! Sounds excessive -but when you've had the external hardrive with all of your baby's first year pictures stored on it no longer boot up, you get over cautious
    Joy Hamilton
    Joy Hamilton Photography