Critical battery alert...won't charge

+ Reply to Thread
    Merlot

Default Critical battery alert...won't charge

I was reading yesterday when this popped up (I was trying to rush through on a low battery, my fault), so I plugged it in. I noticed the light didn't come on, so I unplugged and re-plugged and after a few seconds the yellow charge light finally lit.

I checked on it a short while later to see if there was enough charge to finish the book ( ) but it still had the same critical battery page up. Tried to turn it off to see if it would go away, didn't work. Light was off and now I can't get it to come back on. It won't charge and won't turn off, even held the power button for 30 seconds and no change.

Also, I've had a few instances where a page 'freezes' and I can't turn it or do anything until I power off and boot up again. Then when I go to 'reading now' it sends me to the wrong page.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

Default Re: Critical battery alert...won't charge

If you are using a PC to charge it, plug it into a wall outlet. Make sure that wall outlet is working first.

The charge light sometimes takes several seconds before it lights.

If your battery is truly depleted - and it sounds like it is - the nook needs to reach a minimum charge before it will turn on. I would wait at least an hour before messing with it, and let it charge fully before you unplug it.

As for freezing, that is normal. A nook is just a small computer, and occasionally it will get its software scrambled. It follows that if a problem is so confusing to the nook that it freezes or reboots itself that it will forget the page it was on.

Merlot

I left it plugged in all night to the wall, have never charged via computer. Light never came on, no change in screen.

I did just take out the battery, as that's the only other recourse I could find online. It still has the 'critical' battery low screen, which I thought would go away once the power source was completely removed.

Thanks for the response, though. I'll leave the battery out for a bit and see what happens. Hopefully if I can't get it to charge up, then I can run it into B&N tomorrow and see what they say.

Thankfully someone reminded me about the computer app, so I was able to finish the story. I had 60 pages left in the Fever series, it was like walking around with half a breath left to exhale. I feel better now

Thing 2

no, it runs on itself as well just leave the battery out it'll die then restart
    [quote author=Klaatu link=topic=6826.msg72577#msg72577 date=1296793819]
    'Stay thirsty, my friends.' [/quote]

Puck

Quote Originally Posted by Merlot

I did just take out the battery, as that's the only other recourse I could find online. It still has the 'critical' battery low screen, which I thought would go away once the power source was completely removed.
    The eink screen won't change until it powers up again.

Puck

It's possible the thing froze in the on position when it tried to do something, like save itself by powering down. When Nook freezes though it does freeze in the on position, so of course the battery continues to drain and you wouldn't know that because the e ink page doesn't show anything. Plug it in and leave it alone until the screen powers on.

If it never powers on, then pull the battery and plug in the charger via the wall. After that put the battery back in and let the thing charge overnight. Should solve it.