Nook won't download BN.com eBook I bought. BN Reader won't either.



+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    ianoas
    Guest

    Default Nook won't download BN.com eBook I bought. BN Reader won't either.

    I am assuming this may be due to the overwhelming amount of download traffic that BN is probably getting today (December 25th), but I bought a book "The Running Man," by Stephen King, and though it shows up on my Nook as new, it won't download -- just says "Please Wait" and in my BN Reader on my PC it shows up but won't download either. Any ideas? Anyone else having similar problems with books they bought today?

    Thanks for any help.

    Best,

    Ian

  2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    d'Artagnan Astoria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    870

    Default Re: Nook won't download BN.com eBook I bought. BN Reader won't either.

    Quote Originally Posted by ianoas
    I am assuming this may be due to the overwhelming amount of download traffic that BN is probably getting today (December 25th), but I bought a book "The Running Man," by Stephen King, and though it shows up on my Nook as new, it won't download -- just says "Please Wait" and in my BN Reader on my PC it shows up but won't download either. Any ideas? Anyone else having similar problems with books they bought today?

    Thanks for any help.

    Best,

    Ian
    I having the same problem. This is the first time this has happend. I was thinking the same thing that there may be a overwhelming amount of download traffic today. I am going to try again later tonight. I had the same problem a couple of times with my kindle. Also it is raining here in New York not sure if that has anything to do with it.


  4. #3
    Benjamin Button ktrek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,097

    Default Re: Nook won't download BN.com eBook I bought. BN Reader won't either.

    When you make a purchase doesn't the system also send you a download link by email? Have you tried downloading the file to your computer manually and then transferring it to the nook?

    Kevin
    NOW READING:

    STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

  5. #4
    d'Artagnan Astoria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    870

    Default Re: Nook won't download BN.com eBook I bought. BN Reader won't either.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ktrek
    When you make a purchase doesn't the system also send you a download link by email? Have you tried downloading the file to your computer manually and then transferring it to the nook?

    Kevin

    I may try that tomorrow. I am being lazy tonight. I am in no rush for the book.

  6. #5
    Tom Sawyer
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    83

    Default Re: Nook won't download BN.com eBook I bought. BN Reader won't either.

    This seems to be a system-wide issue due to holiday overload. People are positively flipping about it over on the B&N e-book boards.

    I had trouble downloading an issue of the WSJ earlier today but it did finally go through. Later on, I purchased a book and no, it won't download. I'm thinking of waking up in the middle of the night and trying it again.

    Since I have a Mac, sideloading it is not going to be possible. Never was able to get the e-reader to function on the Mac. My DH is going to have to lend me his computer, where I did successfully load the e-reader. A shame Macs seem to have been left out in the cold on this one, but at least I've got access in some way.

    I feel kind of sorry for whomever has to deal with this mess at B&N when they come in to work tomorrow. The unfortunate thing is it isn't doing anything positive for their press, which is a shame. The recent software fix improved so many of the early issues but now this new issue has come up.

  7. #6
    d'Artagnan Astoria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    870

    Default Re: Nook won't download BN.com eBook I bought. BN Reader won't either.

    Quote Originally Posted by Copynik
    This seems to be a system-wide issue due to holiday overload. People are positively flipping about it over on the B&N e-book boards.

    I had trouble downloading an issue of the WSJ earlier today but it did finally go through. Later on, I purchased a book and no, it won't download. I'm thinking of waking up in the middle of the night and trying it again.

    Since I have a Mac, sideloading it is not going to be possible. Never was able to get the e-reader to function on the Mac. My DH is going to have to lend me his computer, where I did successfully load the e-reader. A shame Macs seem to have been left out in the cold on this one, but at least I've got access in some way.

    I feel kind of sorry for whomever has to deal with this mess at B&N when they come in to work tomorrow. The unfortunate thing is it isn't doing anything positive for their press, which is a shame. The recent software fix improved so many of the early issues but now this new issue has come up.

    Thanks I did not even think to check over at the B&N boards. I reading another book anyway so it not big deal for me to wait. I was just feeling a bit sad and decided to buy a couple of books for my Nook,

  8. #7
    Thing 1 Klaatu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,716

    Default Re: Nook won't download BN.com eBook I bought. BN Reader won't either.

    Quote Originally Posted by Copynik
    Since I have a Mac, sideloading it is not going to be possible. Never was able to get the e-reader to function on the Mac. My DH is going to have to lend me his computer, where I did successfully load the e-reader. A shame Macs seem to have been left out in the cold on this one, but at least I've got access in some way.
    Nikki, it is possible to side-load content using a Mac. You don't need to have the eReader software installed to do that. I successfully side-loaded content by simple drag-n-drop once I connected Tethys (my Nook) to my MacBook Pro via USB. You could also install Calibre and use that to sync your content to Nook. That works like a charm.

    Since I now have a Nook I'm going to use it for a few days so I can get used to it and post my own review next week.

    Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

    CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

  9. #8
    Tom Sawyer
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    83

    Default Re: Nook won't download BN.com eBook I bought. BN Reader won't either.

    Michael, I'm not so sure even that would work with my Mac. I tried to load my own screensaver onto my nook by plugging in the USB to my Mac. No matter how many times I dragged the screensaver into the nook's screensaver file, it did not take. And since I cannot download the book onto my Mac (due to not having the e-reader), how would dragging it from the B&N site on the Mac onto my nook make it download?

    What I find frustrating is that most of B&N's directions about how to do this stuff does not seem to pertain to the Mac. I'm no Mac expert but some of the things they mention just do not appear on my computer.

  10. #9
    Thing 1 Klaatu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,716

    Default Re: Nook won't download BN.com eBook I bought. BN Reader won't either.

    For the screen saver I had to create a sub-folder in the "my screensavers" folder before my images would be accessible as a screen saver. Now my images show up in Settings > Screen Savers and I can choose them. This little tip does not seem to be mentioned in the manual as explicitly being how to make your own screen savers.

    As I mentioned previously you don't have to have the eReader software installed to download a book to your Mac. You can download the ebook directly from your My B&N account. Once you've downloaded the ebook to your Mac, plug in Nook's USB cable and drag-n-drop the ebook from your hard drive to the "my documents" folder on the Nook.

    Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

    CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

  11. #10
    d'Artagnan
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    642

    Default Re: Nook won't download BN.com eBook I bought. BN Reader won't either.

    I tried to download 4 new purchases and not 1 downloaded and I had already figured it was a B&N problem and after reading this I guess that is what is happening.
    I wouldn't mind so much but I have a 2 day old nook and don't really know how to use it yet.
    No matter what I try I can not get a book out of my ereader.com ereader and I can't a book out of the ADE reader. Can anyone give me some direction?
    Thanks, Michael
    MikFinkel

Similar Threads

  1. tablet won't download books bought from computer
    By tdiewold in forum nook color/tablet
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-29-2012, 10:15 AM
  2. The Best Budget Ebook Reader You Can Buy is.......
    By phlieger in forum nook Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-02-2011, 04:11 PM
  3. EBook Promotion - FREE DOWNLOAD - Offer expires SAT29OCT!!!!
    By DanaKokla in forum Free Books, Promotions, and Contests
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-26-2011, 06:02 AM
  4. Kobo ebook reader - Pay attention B&N
    By punking in forum nook Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-07-2010, 06:47 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-22-2009, 11:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.0