Charging through USB connection

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mr. Darcy

Default Charging through USB connection

I thought that if the nook is connected to my computer through a USB connection, it was supposed to be charging the battery. Perhaps not as fast as a wall socket charge, but still a positive charge.

I find that to NOT be the case. Consistently, the percentage of charge decreases when connected to the computer.

For example, this evening, I took the nook off the wall charge, and connected it to the computer. It showed 100% battery charge. I then proceeded to add 4 books to it using Calibre. I did nothing else. When I disconnected it from the computer, I immediately checked the charge, which showed 91%.

Something is rotten in Denmark.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: Charging through USB connection

That's really odd! This is the first we have heard of this symptom. I've charged mine via my PC several times with no problem. I would call customer support and tell them there is something draining the battery while connected to your computer.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

d'Artagnan

If my Nook is connected to the computer and mounted, as in, I am doing stuff with it, adding books/files whatever, then no, it is not charging.

In Windows, I have to go in My Computer and right click on the nook drive and the MicroSD drive and click "Eject" and only then will it charge.
    [quote author=horse_girl link=topic=2435.msg32487#msg32487 date=1280350006]
    Good thing with the crotch grabbing and gummi butt crack.
    [/quote]

[quote author=Fireflywishes link=topic=2831.msg37328#msg37328 date=1282252903]
    yummy, yummy, in my tummy!
    [/quote]

Puck

I show the same with my nook connected to a MacBook, SidheKist: If it's an active data connection the nook isn't charging, once I "eject" the nook, and it's memory card, the nook begins charging from the laptop's USB connection.
    Nook Classic 3g and Simple Touch
    Admin: http://ScionLife.com/forums

How interesting! I've never ejected my nook and have left it on to charge overnight and it did so just fine. hmmm....

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

I find this odd as well. I use my MacBook Pro's USB port to charge my Nook all the time and it charges regardless if the internal storage is mounted or not. Is the amber light lit when it is mounted?

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

Mr. Darcy

I'm going to test it. I just connected it, looked at a few books using Calibre, then ejected and took it off the connection. It dropped from 100% to 98% after that short amount of activity.

Now I reconnected it, but did not eject it. I'm going to work and will check it when i get home tonight.

Puck

If your power settings on your computer are set to put it into sleep/hibernate mode, power may be shut off to the USB ports and it won't charge. The computer must be active. This is especially true for a laptop!
    Paul...
    Proud owner of a rare and exclusive autographed copy of the soon to be classic novel: Boomerang, by Alan Hutcheson!

Now reading:
    Man of Steel, by Dave Conifer
    The Murder of King Tut, by James Patterson

Puck

I think the effect may be similar to my smartphone in the same circumstance - if the device is drawing enough power from a 500mA USB port that there is little to no "extra" left to charge the battery, the power management system in the device doesn't turn the charge circuits up.

My smartphone can pull up to 1200mA just to run itself, so with things running flat out (cellular, WiFi, GPS, and Bluetooth radios, screen, CPU, MP3) even with a high-power 1000mA charger it looses ground. Shut down (or let return to idle) enough of the segments and it will charge just fine.

The nook when actively using it's lighted touch screen, CPU and WiFi or Cellular data radios, probably pulls around 500mA, maybe even more, depending on signal strength, etc. If that is the case, one should expect to see the battery charge go down even while connected to a standard (250 or 500mA USB port), while if left connected, and the device "goes to sleep" there can be enough current capacity left to charge the battery.

That's essentially what I'm seeing with my setup: When I have the nook connected to the laptop it is usually for a reason, and it is actively pulling a lot of power, bf I let it sit for a while and everything goes to "idle" state, it charges the battery.

For those not seeing battery charging at all when connected to a standard USB port, there may be something going on with the data port portion of the connection to keep the CPU in the nook awake (a "keep alive" or whatever from the other end). That's only a guess, but if that is the case, and something is keeping the nook from sleeping internally, there might not be enough power from a standard or low power USB port to both run the nook and charge it's battery.

One additional thought: Not all USB ports are capable of putting out the same amount of power.

High power USB charger: Up to 2000mA
    Regular USB port straight from computer: 500mA
    USB port on keyboard: Usually less than 250mA
    USB hub without external power supply: As little as 50mA

There are explanations for all of those power levels, but just remember, not all USB ports are created equal, and some are not capable of charging a nook battery - or even of supplying power at all...
    Nook Classic 3g and Simple Touch
    Admin: http://ScionLife.com/forums

jds
    Mr. Darcy

My nook charges just fine off the USB 2.0 ports on my laptop, whether it's mounted or not. YMMV.