How to use Dropbox on your Nook/Laptop and access your Library anywhere

+ Reply to Thread

Default How to use Dropbox on your Nook/Laptop and access your Library anywhere

Here we go, after trying to get Trook to work, I thought why not share your library to everywhere you go and every device you have in 1 go.
    You do need to softroot your Nook to do this.

Setting up your Library as a website
    On your PC
    1) Open a Dropbox account https://www.dropbox.com/downloading

2) Create a Folder called "library" inside your "Public" dropbox folder
    This should create a local folder on your PC at "C:/Documents and Settings/user/My Documents/My Dropbox/Public/library"

3) Install Calibre v7.16 on your PC http://calibre-ebook.com/download
    Organise your Library so it is created in "C:/Documents and Settings/user/My Documents/My Dropbox/Public/library"
    Add books, covers, metadata as required, exit Calibre

4) Install Calibre2opds V2.3 https://launchpad.net/calibre2opds

5) Run Calibre2opds and use these settings
    Calibre default (top left bookshelf icon)
    Main Options, browse Database folder to "C:/Documents and Settings/user/My Documents/My Dropbox/Public/library"
    Catalog Generation Option, only Browse by Cover Mode (HTML) and when browsing do not split by letter should be ticked
    (if you don't tick "browse by cover", you get a text list, which you might prefer)
    Advanced Options, I like to only have EPUB formats available (so I erase the rest), you may want a bigger cover thumbnail size

6) Hit the "Generate Catalogs" and you are finished on the PC side.

7) When it has finished double click on your "Dropbox" icon (bottom right taskbar) and your dropbox folder window should appear
    navigate to Public, library, _catalog, then right click on the catalog.html file, select "dropbox " from the popup, then "copy public link"
    You can paste this link in your web browser window to check the library works
    Your dropbox link will be something like this hxxp://dl.dropbox.com/w/xxxxxxx/library/_catalog/catalog.html

It looks better in colour on a laptop

On the Nook
    I'm assuming you have Trook and the Nookdevs web browser installed
    8) Connect your Nook to a wifi connection with internet and open Nookdevs web browser, it will show your home page on the LCD

9) press the "swap screens" button on the LCD (^v top left corner), the web page jumps to e-ink screen and a control panel should appear on the LCD screen
    (if it doesn't press the "swap controls" button on the LCD (middle left LCD <>) to get the control panel)

10) Select address and type in hxxp://dl.dropbox.com/w/xxxxxxx/library/_catalog/catalog.html (your dropbox link you got from your PC) then "submit". You should now see the menu of your online Library.

11) Select "favorites" on the LCD, select "add current", you have now saved your dropbox account on your Nook, never type it again.

12) You can now browse your library from your Nook, using the right hand LCD touchpad (centre of pad to select link)

13) Navigate to a book, open the book cover, scroll down to the bottom where it says Download this ebook as ..... and hit the centre pad to download, it takes 10-15 seconds to download the book, clicking the "Download" button a second time opens the book for reading.
    The downloaded book will be stored in SDCard, My documents, dl.dropbox.com, w, xxxxxxx, library, etc.
    I usually use Trook, My Books, My documents, dl.dropbox.com, w, xxxxxxx, library, etc. to browse and re-open these downloaded books.

You an also use your Library on any other PC/laptop connected to the internet using your same dropbox link

Hope this was helpful.
    SB

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mowgli
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How to use Dropbox on your Nook/Laptop and access your Library anywhere

Wow! Thanks for sharing. I don't have a Nook yet, but this makes it all that more attractive.
    Bet you can't...FIND ME
    The Gifts, A Jacody Ives Mystery
    Sacred Secrets, A Jacody Ives Mystery

Mr. Darcy

Default Re: How to use Dropbox on your Nook/Laptop and access your Library anywhere

Hey sarahsbloke,

Fantastic tutorial... That&#180;s why the Nook is the best e-reader you should buy now.

You can either browse and donwload your e-books in the cloud using the Nookdevs web browser or Trook.

There&#180;s a lot of new things to do with Nook and here will be the place to share our experiences.

davidp57

Hi Sarah,

I'm David, one of Calibre2Opds developpers.

Thanks for this nice tutorial, and the publicity it generates

I'd like to add a few things :
    • calibre2opds is multi-platform; this means it works on all Windows PC, but also on Linux, and on Mac OS X (in fact, that's the computer I use)
    • documentation for the program is available on the MobileRead wiki (http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Calibre2opds)
    • the publication of your library works (great) with Dropbox, but also with any NAS you happen to own and use
    • your tutorial explains how to set up an HTML catalog; this is a secondary feature of calibre2opds, which generates OPDS catalogs (this is Stanza and Feedbooks format); in the wiki, you will find out how to generate a local OPDS catalog for Trook, or how to generate it on a remote server (e.g. Dropbox)

But great tutorial nonetheless !

By the way I'm open to suggestions regarding future versions of calibre2opds...

Puck

Great tutorial! thanks for sharing. I gotta try this.
    Now Reading - Riptide - Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child
    Goodreads User koolkat67

Puck

Got it working...this is very cool. I'm always bringing side loaded material for friends, now I can just give them my link.
    Now Reading - Riptide - Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child
    Goodreads User koolkat67

davidp57

Hi all,

Talking about suggestions, we opened a new user support forum at GetSatisfaction : http://getsatisfaction.com/calibre2opds/products/calibre2opds_calibre2opds