SD card not formatting

+ Reply to Thread
    Tiny Tim

Default SD card not formatting

I inserted the SD card I had from my Nook Classic into my new Nook Touch. It recognizes it. However when trying to format, it states that formatting failed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: SD card not formatting

Can you format it on your computer? When you look at the "properties" on the disc does it look like it has all its memory available? It's possible that the microSD card is or has failed and not the ST. There is a great program I have used to fix my microSD card when it would not format called HP USB Disc Storage Format Tool. It's available free online. If you run it and it seems like it stalls on the formatting just let it work. It will fix any problem with the card but it might take up to two hours (usually only 20 minutes). That should resolve the problem. Of course you have to use an SD adapter in order to insert into your PCs SD card slot. I hope that helps.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

Tiny Tim

I know my desktop does not have an sd adapter. Hopefully, my laptop does. I will check. Thanks!

Tiny Tim

Just curious about formatting a micro-SD card - just purchased the Nook Color and the other day I ordered 2 SanDisk micro-SD cards (they were so cheap!) - one I put in the Nook and it was recognized and formatted w/ a bunch of Nook-type folders; added some MP3 files to the music folder.

The other I've not yet done any formatting; it shows up when inserted into my Windows Vista laptop (using the standard size SD adapter) - of course, with a right-click, format is an option - so my question, if the micro-SD card is formatted on a Vista OS, will it need to be re-formatted by the Nook? Thanks for any input!

I formatted my card on my PC first and just put it in my nook. If the nook reformatted it I never could tell. It just recognized the card on boot up.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

BY DAVID MCINTEE

Tiny Tim

I inserted the sd card into my laptop and Windows will not reformat it. I tried the HP formatting tool, but I couldn't get that to work either. I still have alot of storage on my nook(even with 36 pages of books to read), so I guess I will worry about buying a new sd card when it becomes pressing...if at all.
    Thanks for the help, though. I think the card is fried.

I wasn't kidding when I said it may take that format tool a while to repair the card. Even if it looks like the program is stalled it is probably still working on the fix. I was told by a tech that it fixes 90% of all card issues they have.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

BY DAVID MCINTEE