Screen won't unlock

+ Reply to Thread
    Mr. Darcy

Default Screen won't unlock

Bought my wife a ST for Christmas and she fell in love with it! Problem is now just a couple weeks later she can't get the screen to unlock. Battery shows a 91% charge, turns on and off with no problem but the screen doesn't react to swiping along the unlock strip. Any ideas?
    Peace
    Jay

Just a guy trying to make it in this
    craxy, mized up world...

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

Have you tried connecting it to the PC?

Mr. Darcy

Default Problem resolved - no idea why

Yes, I tried fully charging it and plugging into the PC. Didn't seem help. Then I noticed that there was a kind of shadow just above the unlock swipe area. So I swiped there. Worked fine. Since then the ST has worked fine and perfectly normal.

No idea. Just glad it works.
    Peace
    Jay

Just a guy trying to make it in this
    craxy, mized up world...

Oliver

As a formality I hope you don't mind my adding to your thread regarding the "lock" on the Simple Touch.

My newly received Nook Simple Touch has started off badly. Registering it does require WiFi and there is no WiFi in my building so I had to find a Hot Spot. This machine was received 6/19/12 - registration complete 6/22/12 - and then I immediately experienced problems with the "LOCK" on the device. The machine (obviously) is fully charged. It did unlock when I first registered it - then later in the day would not unlock!

I tried restarting the device. I personally have 32 years experience with computers and systems so I am no novice. I tried light pressure, I tried hard pressure - nothing. I then came to your Bulletin Boards only to find I had to register again (which seems silly since one has an account and is registered with B&N). So rather than go into that last night - I looked for entries and found I am not alone with this issue. I then went to Chat and discussed this with a tech person who at the end of the brief dialog said I must de-register the device and start over.

Meanwhile I looked up "software upgrades" - found one (not knowing if my system is already on that version) and if I can break into my own device today - will try that upgrade first. Then I will attempt 1 de-registration. That is as far as I am prepared to go with a BRAND NEW device. I believe they have a software/hardware issue here - either one or both. I just want to be on the BB system in a formal sense.

In any event WHY would they put a faux "lock" on a device that does not require a Password to operate it. There should be a way to 'turn off' this function if they insist on keeping it. Thank you.