NST will not unlock

+ Reply to Thread
    Oliver

Default NST will not unlock

Hello,

I have a used Nook Simple Touch that I need help with. I've had it since ~September. I've been having trouble with it since just around Christmas with it intermittently not unlocking. In the past, I was able to reboot it using the six-restart method, but that is not working anymore.

1) I have tried rebooting.
    2) I have tried rebooting six times to reset, and the Nook appears to go through all the motions but then restarts in a locked mode.
    3) I am unable to completely power down the device by pressing the power button and selecting the Power Off option. It appears, but I cannot select it.
    4) I backed up all my side-loaded books on my hard drive, so I don't care about erasing everything.

What can I do?

Thanks,
    DeAnna
    Writer DeAnna Knippling/De Kenyon at B&N. SF/F/H for adults and middle-grade adventure for kids. Websites at www.deannaknippling.com and www.dekenyon.com.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

d'Artagnan

Obviously, the easiest thing to try is to unregister, shut it down, wipe it clean and start over. But it sounds like it might be a hardware problem, so that won't fix it anyway. OTOH, if you are ok with trying this approach, maybe you should. I assume it doesn't have a warranty? I don't remember what it costs to get these fixed without one, but it's probably going to be cheaper to buy a new one if it comes down to it. Another thing to try is to have it check for updates. If it is corrupt in some way, re-loading the latest update might help. I have heard of people suggesting that you plug the device into your computer. I don't know why that would matter, but apparently for some people it does. You plug it in by usb and then do the shut down, turn off, reboot, while it's connected to BN. *shrug* Again, worth trying. And one last thought, you are totally completely absolutely SURE it has a full battery? Low batteries can cause some really bizarre problems on these devices!!

Puck

Quote Originally Posted by dknippling View Post
    Hello,

I have a used Nook Simple Touch that I need help with. I've had it since ~September. I've been having trouble with it since just around Christmas with it intermittently not unlocking. In the past, I was able to reboot it using the six-restart method, but that is not working anymore.

1) I have tried rebooting.
    2) I have tried rebooting six times to reset, and the Nook appears to go through all the motions but then restarts in a locked mode.
    3) I am unable to completely power down the device by pressing the power button and selecting the Power Off option. It appears, but I cannot select it.
    4) I backed up all my side-loaded books on my hard drive, so I don't care about erasing everything.

What can I do?

Thanks,
    DeAnna
    It should still be under warranty. Call B&N cust support.

Oliver

My newly received Nook Simple Touch has started off badly. Registering it does require WiFi and there is no WiFi in my building so I had to find a Hot Spot. This machine was received 6/19/12 - registration complete 6/22/12 - and then I immediately experienced problems with the "LOCK" on the device. The machine (obviously) is fully charged. It did unlock when I first registered it - then later in the day would not unlock!

I tried restarting the device. I personally have 32 years experience with computers and systems so I am no novice. I tried light pressure, I tried hard pressure - nothing. I then came to your Bulletin Boards only to find I had to register again (which seems silly since one has an account and is registered with B&N). So rather than go into that last night - I looked for entries and found I am not alone with this issue. I then went to Chat and discussed this with a tech person who at the end of the brief dialog said I must de-register the device and start over.

Meanwhile I looked up "software upgrades" - found one (not knowing if my system is already on that version) and if I can break into my own device today - will try that upgrade first. Then I will attempt 1 de-registration. That is as far as I am prepared to go with a BRAND NEW device. I believe they (B&N Nook) have a software/hardware issue here - either one or both. I just want to be on the BB system in a formal sense. Thank you.