Florida High School Plans To Replace Textbooks With E-Readers Next Year. - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mad Hatter

Default Re: Florida High School Plans To Replace Textbooks With E-Readers Next Year.

Quote Originally Posted by lmcanon
    Thats pretty cool. When I was a freshman in high school...15 years ago, they talked about getting all the ap students some type of laptop/small computer device but it never happened.
    Maybe be glad that it didn't... http://www.boingboing.net/2010/02/17...+(Boing+Boing)

Donna

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: Florida High School Plans To Replace Textbooks With E-Readers Next Year.

Quote Originally Posted by wdblevin
    That is just so absolutely wrong. The person who did is also of highly questionable morals and should not be allowed to be in a position of any authority.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

This is such a bad idea.

Nook...Kindle...they aren't good for textbooks that need color illustrations and a larger screen. At this point, trying to use a Nook or a Kindle for textbooks is a recipe for failure.

So then what happens? The conventional wisdom spreads that ebooks aren't any good for schools. Even when they've evolved to the point where they ARE good for textbooks, they'll have this bad rap from a too-early, too-ambitious experiment.

They should phase the ebook readers in. Use them where they make sense, not where they don't.

I work for a school district and I see the kids laboring under these bad, back-destroying backpacks, and I know that ereaders will be the answer eventually. But they need to be worked in where they make sense and not shoehorned in ahead of their time.
    Jan Strnad
    Author of Risen, a supernatural thriller. Available DRM-free!

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Thing 2

<---insertion of opinon based on first post--->
    Clearwater is po-dunk-ville IMPO so, they need it
    that's not far from where i live. anyways i think
    it's an excellent plan, if my highschool didn't suck so bad
    i'd tell them to get on that boat but.. there's like 5000 students
    and that numbers grown since i left

[quote author=Klaatu link=topic=6826.msg72577#msg72577 date=1296793819]
    'Stay thirsty, my friends.' [/quote]

I actually think the idea of providing students with an "ereader" type device is a good idea. But I don't think this particular school district is thinking about it in the right way, or thinking big enough. Jan is right that the current crop of dedicated ereaders are not suited to text books at any grade level.

However I think an iPad-type device, that is designed specifically for text books is a way to go with this. Now, I see you getting that look on your face but hear me out.

I think if a touch screen device were to be designed about the same dimensions of the iPad and with some of the same features were designed specifically for the school and college text book market it would be perfect. Think about how richly interactive text books could be on a device like the iPad, then scale the features down to just the iBooks app. Biology texts, for example, could be completely new experiences for students with not just static texts but video and audio commentary. Think how immersive an Astronomy text could be if a student could zoom in on high def pictures of distant stars and galaxies. Wouldn't you like to be able to count the stars being born in the stellar nursery of the Horsehead Nebula? The possibilities are huge to improve the text book experience. Just using a Kindle or Nook in the classroom is, in my opinion, too limiting for the students.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

Thing 2

i'd have to agree. being ""fresh"" out of highschool (i say fresh it's been like 4 yrs)
    having things like this would've kept me interested in learning. i'm a drop out G.E.D
    grad and still proud but i think i'd have at least stayed longer if not graduated if
    my school would've shown an intrest in something like this.. i think the iPad(ish) deal
    is better than a nook. i'd have to agree with michael on this one

[quote author=Klaatu link=topic=6826.msg72577#msg72577 date=1296793819]
    'Stay thirsty, my friends.' [/quote]

I'm with Klaatu on this one. I love my nook for my leisure, linear reading. Textbooks are neither leisure or linear. This has already failed, and will fail here. A Textbook eReader should have the following:

• color - either this is LCD or the advancement of color eInk I don't care, though eInk is prefered
    • touch screen - I mean completely touch screen. I don't need this reading a leisure novel, but with images and charts the abilty to pick them out eaisly is needed, also for quick insert of notes and highlights. Kids don't have time to fiddle around slowly while the teacher is lecturing. This also increases the usefullness of hyperlinking within the book.
    • pinch to zoom - for the above mentioned pictures and charts but in the reverse. Picture looking at the current page, if I'm at 1 page per screen I can zoom in for more detail, or I can zoom out and get an index view of all the pages in the current chapter. Zoom out again and I get an index view of all the chapters. Zoom out again and I'm in a "bookshelf" ( I just realized that I want this for my leisure reading too, but it's a must for textbooks.)
    • independence of bookstore - school boards need to be able to get materials though the book companies they want, not what is proscribed though a specific store like Amazon or B&N

I also agree that this "experment" will taint the use of eReaders in the future, because of the massive failure this will be.

Puck

the only DTBs I buy right now are "text" as in research and instructional stuff. Ereaders are awful for this as it is too tedious to flip around.

This is a bad idea. there are better things the funds could be spent on like updating the existing texts.
    Reading Now: Hostile Intent
    Recently Finished: The Pawn

Tom Sawyer

This thread got me thinking of what maybe a bright future for kids at school somewhere in 20xx
    Slates have finally begun to appear at this Computex and they are here to stay. Some decent display tech and say Android for OS, edu reform (sure) to create the eco system (apps, media enriched "handbooks", tests, etc) and here we are. Well, I won't be alive by that time but definitely in developed countries it would be a way scholars will be taught one day. Hey at least we experienced what a backpack loaded with books is like, people
    wbr,
    Vad

Tom Sawyer

So Lower Merion is just 2 districts away from where my kids go. Glad we're not using macbooks like they are/were. The kids all have tape over their cameras, and many did before this came out in the public-they suspected that they were being "watched" because the light would come on randomly.

Now, as much as I love my nook-I don't think this is appropriate. As mentioned previously, text books dont work well in the ebook format. You don't read them the same way...you need to quickly flip form pg 29 to pg 257. Also, I'd rather see the school district take the money spent on the devices and putting all the correct etext books on them and instead hire a teacher or two. Not sure what the market is like there, but in many places (NJ, CA) teachers are getting riffed left and right.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast