Florida High School Plans To Replace Textbooks With E-Readers Next Year. - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thing 2

Default Re: Florida High School Plans To Replace Textbooks With E-Readers Next Year.

i'm having trouble seeing this evening for some reason. must be cause of sleep deprivation.
    however i think there are a few opinions that IMO are wrong.
    i would've thrived and worked my tail off in school for an eReader
    even just to borrow from the library... be realistic it's opening doors
    just gotta open a few closets in the room before you find the one
    with the outfit you want... yah know.

[quote author=Klaatu link=topic=6826.msg72577#msg72577 date=1296793819]
    'Stay thirsty, my friends.' [/quote]

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Default Re: Florida High School Plans To Replace Textbooks With E-Readers Next Year.

I am not a fan of apple or the iPad, but I agree, with textbooks iPad-like devices would be marvelous for the learning experience. I know I sure could've used those type of features in my macroeconomics course reading that book made me fall asleep no matter how hard I tried (and I'm not a person that usually falls asleep when reading textbooks, I really do love to learn.) Just to have that iPad and be able to zoom in on graphs and charts, to hear someone talk about what I'm reading or what I'm looking at I know would've bumped my grade up. A lot of time you go home after hearing a lecture and you just scratch your head wondering what in the heck the teacher spent so much time talking about and the iPad would be SO much lighter in your bag than a million textbooks.

My big question: are these students being able to take these eReaders HOME for like homework? Or are they just for use in-class? Because we had laptops in our school but we weren't allowed to take them home. I think that would be an appropriate idea for english classes, to read on eReaders - for one thing all the classics are FREE, so that would save school districts money in the long run.

I think if they used these in english classes - for reading regular books not textbooks, that it might interest kids in reading that normally would just zone out. They might be more in tune to reading on a high-tech device than a regular ol' paper book.
    Currently reading:
    The Poisoned House - Michael Ford
    Book Challenge 2011 38 bks read of 60

12,724 Pages Read of 12,000

My Shelf Confessions

Puck

I think the Kindle is worthless for textbooks but for English classes that is a very interesting idea. I don't think a nearly $300 Kindle is the way to save money. Give a student a $150 Kobo as a Freshman that they'd carry for 4 years. At a bulk rate the school would likely pay less than $150. If most books read in English were of the free variety and I suspect many are, that would come close to evening out. But I think it is better to consider an iPad type device since that would assuredly both make its cost back (and then some) as well as eliminate the hardship of carrying heavy books.

There are lots of color e-ink technologies just on the horizon that promise refresh rates as fast as LCD with the ability to have battery life similar to eReaders. Ultimately there is no device out there, right now, good enough for school. An eReader is a poor idea because its horrible for non-linear reading, note taking, and expanding the utility of school texts in any meaningful way (and really probably decrease the value...) and a tablet device, while cool and capable of doing all the things we would want it to do in regards to making the learning experience better, still suffers from at best, the 10 hour battery life of the iPad. If a student doesn't charge their iPad just a single day then they're not going to be able to do any work at school the next day at all.

So we're close and I expect within the next 10 years we'll see it happen (and work) at some level of education. But not yet.
    twitter: http://www.twitter.com/codefox/
    shout.net/identi.ca: http://ninetail.me/shout/codefox (Join the federated social revolution!)
    blog: http://ninetail.me

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Thing 2

got to agree with firefly. tech v DTB tech wins. every time in my generation

[quote author=Klaatu link=topic=6826.msg72577#msg72577 date=1296793819]
    'Stay thirsty, my friends.' [/quote]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123