Florida High School Plans To Replace Textbooks With E-Readers Next Year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tom Sawyer

Default Florida High School Plans To Replace Textbooks With E-Readers Next Year.

From NEA "The Opening Bell":

Florida High School Plans To Replace Textbooks With E-Readers Next Year.

The St. Petersburg Times (6/2, Catalanello) reports that next year, Clearwater High School in Pinellas county, Florida, "will replace traditional textbooks with e-readers." Currently, "school officials are negotiating with Amazon Kindle to try to equip all 2,100 students with the 10-ounce devices this fall." Teachers have already been issued e-readers. "Principal Keith Mastorides said he was inspired to make the switch earlier this school year after campus surveys revealed a desire to integrate more technology with classroom instruction." While some schools nationwide "have used e-readers," most have done so "on a per class basis." According the school district's assistant superintendent for management information systems, John Just, "Kindle officials told the district that no other high school had embarked on" an effort like Clearwater's.

currently reading on nook:

Home Safe - Elizabeth Berg
    Pandora's Star - Peter F. Hamilton

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

d'Artagnan

Default Re: Florida High School Plans To Replace Textbooks With E-Readers Next Year.

I think it's a great idea, but I think the decision to go with Kindle is a bad choice. They should give the kids an eReader that gives them the option to check out books from their local library system.
    Currently Reading:
    A Song of Ice and Fire Series

Next up:
    The Entire Oz Series

Mowgli

Default Re: Florida High School Plans To Replace Textbooks With E-Readers Next Year.

They probably went with Kindle because it's more well-known and honestly, it's much more user-friendly than the Nook. Not that the Nook is difficult in any way, but I've seen lots of people pick up both and generally it takes less time for them to figure out the Kindle than the Nook.

Either way, though, it's a good step even for Nook fans. The more the e-Reader market gets attention, the more the market will become.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

d'Artagnan

Quote Originally Posted by Ayesuku
    They probably went with Kindle because it's more well-known and honestly, it's much more user-friendly than the Nook. Not that the Nook is difficult in any way, but I've seen lots of people pick up both and generally it takes less time for them to figure out the Kindle than the Nook.

Either way, though, it's a good step even for Nook fans. The more the e-Reader market gets attention, the more the market will become.
    These are teenagers though, and they have a better grasp of technology and gadgets than older people would. I've never handled a Kindle so I can't say for sure if it's more user friendly, but the touchscreen options on the Nook reminds me of the machines used at McDonalds. Press a "button", get to a new page.
    Currently Reading:
    A Song of Ice and Fire Series

Next up:
    The Entire Oz Series

d'Artagnan

The Kindle got a big thumbs down from this college test last fall:
    Kindle fails first college test.
    Maybe high school kids will be more forgiving...
    peace out...

As a gadget geek and an nook lover, this sounds great. As a taxpayer I don't think I would want to give kids age 14 -18 expensive devices.
    www.twitter.com/decrescenzo

'The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.' - Ayn Rand

Puck

Quote Originally Posted by DeCrescenzo
    As a gadget geek and an nook lover, this sounds great. As a taxpayer I don't think I would want to give kids age 14 -18 expensive devices.
    This pretty much sums up my opinion as well. Couldn't they find a less expensive reader to use?
    Bethany

Mad Hatter

They are thinking iPads around here @ some schools... http://www.journaltimes.com/news/loc...cc4c002e0.html

Donna

Puck

I don't have a link handy but I recall a story a month or two ago about a college that was planning on replacing textbooks with ereaders.

However in that case the idea was shot down after a group sued because the ereaders wouldn't be accessible enough for disabled students.

Mowgli

Thats pretty cool. When I was a freshman in high school...15 years ago, they talked about getting all the ap students some type of laptop/small computer device but it never happened. But an ereader would be good, will be bad for the parents that have to pay for the fines when they get broken or lost though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast