Hmm, weird coincidence?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    d'Artagnan

Default Hmm, weird coincidence?!

So, this week my Econ teacher asks the students these questions, I am wondering if she is comparing companies for an e-reader purchase?!

As we learn from chapter 10, monopolistically competitive and oligopolistic companies often sell very differentiated product (p. 508). But what if products are identical, say books? In this case businesses differentiate themselves by making SHOPPING EXPERIENCE different.

Use a search engine to find the current listings on the New York Times best-seller lists. Choose one hardbound book of fiction and one hardbound book of nonfiction from the top-five lists. Next, find the price, including shipping to your address, of your two books at both Amazon, http://www.amazon.com, and Barnes and Noble, http://www.barnesandnoble.com.

Please note, that Amazon requires registration to receive shipping quote. If you do not have Amazon account yet, you DON'T HAVE to create one. But you must address this in your post as one of the non-price competition features.

1. Is one company less expensive?
    2. How do sellers differentiate identical books?
    3. Identify service differentiation that might lead you to order from one company rather than the other (be very specific! One of the ways to do it is to create a list of features and compare two sites. You may want to consider ease of site navigation, shipping, membership, book preview, etc.).

Needless to say, this is probably the most excited I've been in my Econ discussions.
    [quote author=horse_girl link=topic=2435.msg32487#msg32487 date=1280350006]
    Good thing with the crotch grabbing and gummi butt crack.
    [/quote]

[quote author=Fireflywishes link=topic=2831.msg37328#msg37328 date=1282252903]
    yummy, yummy, in my tummy!
    [/quote]

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mad Hatter

Default Re: Hmm, weird coincidence?!

@ SidheKist

That is so cool that it is a subject that is near/dear to your heart.

Has anybody else in your class indicated that they eRead?

Even if the teacher is going with a topic because it has been in the news as of late, I am glad it'll won't be too painful for you to do that assignment.

Donna

That's a pretty cool assignment and sounds like you have a pretty cool and with it teacher!

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mad Hatter

SidheKist, can you do the assignment in class, bring your Nook and go 'shopping' at B&N?

That would be a hoot to see people's responses!

Donna

d'Artagnan

Quote Originally Posted by wdblevin
    @ SidheKist

Has anybody else in your class indicated that they eRead?
    Actually no, I think the majority has kind of thought it weird..

Quote Originally Posted by wdblevin
    SidheKist, can you do the assignment in class, bring your Nook and go 'shopping' at B&N?
    Of course! I always bring my Nook, though.
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Thing 2

SHOOT! i'd love this assignment i think i'd get too in rant mode on it A.T.M though
    apparently i care to much about the aesthetic realm of my nook :P @Kevin

[quote author=Klaatu link=topic=6826.msg72577#msg72577 date=1296793819]
    'Stay thirsty, my friends.' [/quote]

Mad Hatter

Quote Originally Posted by SidheKist
    Actually no, I think the majority has kind of thought it weird..

Of course! I always bring my Nook, though.
    Let us know what happens!

Donna

Super Moderator

I wish my econ class that I took in college ever got that interesting.. the subject was so dull I fell asleep reading the book (and i don't ever do that) and then on top of that the teacher was a recent immigrant from Kenya (not to be discriminating, he was a really nice guy!) but his accent was so thick it was hard to decipher all the technicalities of what he was talking about on these difficult topics AND work through his accent to get at the actual WORDS he was saying. I honestly think I would've done much better with another teacher - and it's a shame because he was so well qualified for it, full Ph.D and everything and incredibly smart and good sense of humor, but he also had a quieteness and a certain way of asking questions that just indimated EVERYONE - and it totally was unintentional but there all the same.

Anyways.. glad to hear you are getting some measure of enjoyment out of your class, sorry about the blah blah about my class. LOL
    Currently reading:
    The Poisoned House - Michael Ford
    Book Challenge 2011 38 bks read of 60

12,724 Pages Read of 12,000

My Shelf Confessions

Mad Hatter

Quote Originally Posted by Fireflywishes
    sorry about the blah blah about my class. LOL
    I have many stories about some not-the-best teachers that would curl your hair... I am very lucky, though, to have seriously admired some in the school that I finished my Master's at.

Donna

d'Artagnan

My Econ teacher is from Ukraine, this is my second class with her as my professor and she is great. I actually love teachers with accents because I feel that it adds another level of interest to the class.. A's in both classes though, so far, I still have a couple weeks of my current Econ class to go, but I'm not worried.

Anyway, most of my class prefers Amazon just because of the prices usually being less than B&N but! There were a number - a somewhat small number - of people who said that although B&N is a little more expensive they would go with them because of the company having brick and mortar locations and the familiarity/nostalgia of B&N over Amazon - which is actually one of the reasons I bought a Nook. Even though I've shopped at Amazon plenty and plenty of times, I used to go to B&N all the time, I mean, ever since I was little I would make my mom drive me there whenever possible, while most kids wanted to hang out at the mall. It is kind of funny when I think about it. I've met new friends at B&N, had coffee/browsed books with old friends, gone on dates to B&N (as it is right across from the Cinemark)
    One day I even walked 7 miles (one way) in my before-driving age days to go because I couldn't find a ride.. and I had to walk home, too. What a trek! Both ways uphill, barefoot in the snow!
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast