B&N has a bigger ebook market share than they do in paper

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default B&N has a bigger ebook market share than they do in paper

I just read this..

--------cut
    Barnes & Noble released their FY2010 financial reports today. Income is up (good), they posted a small loss (not so good), and here’s the kicker:

“In fact, in just a brief 12 months since we launched the Barnes and Noble ebookstore, our share of the digital market already exceeds our share of the retail book market,” said William Lynch, chief executive officer of Barnes & Noble, Inc.

I’m not surprised. When it comes to paper, B&N is getting their buts handed to them by internet retailers like Amazon. B&N can’t cut prices or increase in-store selection to match Amazon. But when it comes to ebooks, B&N is on a level playing field.

-------paste

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Benjamin Button

Default Re: B&N has a bigger ebook market share than they do in paper

Paper's on the way out and soon it'll be obsolete. It's a digital world and once again, trees will flourish.

Mad Hatter

Quote Originally Posted by tubemonkey
    Paper's on the way out and soon it'll be obsolete. It's a digital world and once again, trees will flourish.
    Do you remember when IT (use to be called DP) said that one of its premises was to allow us to go paperless... You gotta' see some of the developers around me printing out their code for code reviews - Their desks are like somebody took a full 10 ream box of paper and just dumped it on top!

Donna

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

I think this bit is even better news...

---------cut
    In light of the exciting digital opportunity before us, we are planning to redirect a significant portion of our financial resources towards investments in technology, sales and marketing. These investments will impact our bottom line in 2011, but we believe they will enable Barnes & Noble to capitalize on the significant mid-to-long-term growth opportunities presented by the digital markets.

-------------paste

sounds like new and better toys and special deals coming our way :-)

Benjamin Button

Quote Originally Posted by wdblevin
    Do you remember when IT (use to be called DP) said that one of its premises was to allow us to go paperless... You gotta' see some of the developers around me printing out their code for code reviews - Their desks are like somebody took a full 10 ream box of paper and just dumped it on top!
    They lied! It's worse. They have us tracking things on paper; and all they have to do is look it up in the computer. Amazing!

That said, print will be obsolete one soon in the near future. I have no desire to read printed material if it's available online. I read newspapers and magazines online. The death knell for print will sound once tablets are cheap, lightweight, and fairly unbreakable.

Benjamin Button

Quote Originally Posted by iandix
    sounds like new and better toys and special deals coming our way :-)
    Tablets for magazines, newspapers and documents would be nice. Thin, lightweight, unbreakable displays and under $100 would be nice.

Puck

Quote Originally Posted by wdblevin
    I HATE when people do this. I've had someone hand me a pile of code...hundreds of pages. "Here, I printed this for you." Why, its on my computer...??
    twitter: http://www.twitter.com/codefox/
    shout.net/identi.ca: http://ninetail.me/shout/codefox (Join the federated social revolution!)
    blog: http://ninetail.me

Puck

It looks a bit larger than a small loss: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_629049.html

The loss for the three months ended May totaled $32 million, or 58 cents per share. That compares with a loss of $2.7 million, or 5 cents per share, last year.

Administrator

That is good news!! Thanks for sharing that with us, here’s hoping they turn this into better toys for us the consumers that helped them succeed like that!!

Rachel
    Visit the Barnes & Noble Store

Now Reading: As Young as We Feel by Melanie Carlson

Tom Sawyer

I'm a little surprised that their ebook market is better than their DTB market. Before I became an ebook reader, I used to order lots of DTB's. I usually would do a preliminary order at Amazon and then do a preliminary order at B&N to see which was cheapest. With my member discount and free shipping, it was almost always B&N that was cheaper.

Speaking of B&N membership, I wish they gave us a discount on ebooks as well! As a matter of fact, now that I have a Nook I probably won't renew my membership, since I won't be buying DTB's any more.
    Visit my Etsy shop for custom made Nook bags! http://www.etsy.com/shop/pg4003

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast