Proper PDF formatting

Tiny Tim

Default Proper PDF formatting

I downloaded some PDF books and while they look perfect in ADE, they don't in the Nook. In the Nook the pages break in weird places and there are loads of blank pages. Is this something that would be fixed by running them through Calibre? Or something else?

In general, should PDF books be loaded onto the Nook through ADE, or File Explorer, or does it matter?

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mr. Darcy

Default Re: Proper PDF formatting

the blank pages are most likely images that isn't compatible with nook. oh and as for loading pdf's it shouldn't matter how u do it. But if you can u should try to use epub formatted books to avoid this kind of problem.

Tiny Tim

In calibre you can convert to epub. There is an option in the conversion settings to change the way that spacing works (it's an real number <1). Try setting it to .5.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tiny Tim

Won't that mess up ALL the spacing? It's just the blank pages and stuff... the rest of the spacing (i.e. between lines) is fine

Super Moderator

From what I know PDF files are for whatever reason not perfectly formatted for the nook screen or something and usually look a little off with spaces at weird places, odd line breaks and blank pages. Like someone suggested you can try to convert them to EPUB format if they aren't DRMed but other than that there isn;t much you can do. I've found that although PDF files don't display perfectly they still are readable and since most of the PDF's I download are from the library (since when I buy books I always make sure it's an EPUB) it's worth the slight discombobulation experienced while reading because it's free.
    Currently reading:
    The Poisoned House - Michael Ford
    Book Challenge 2011 38 bks read of 60

12,724 Pages Read of 12,000

My Shelf Confessions

Puck

Yep more hassle than just live with it.
    I have a pdf does pretty good but still has blank or pages with one sentence on it.
    Or even worse last page of a chapter occasionally the text is in micro-font.
    Requiring a magnifying glass to read it.

Puck

If you view the pdf in small font the formatting is perfect.

If you view the pdf in small font you will need a magnifying glass to read it.

You will get page breaks in funny places, some hyphenation issues, and some line-break issues when reflowing a pdf. Usually these aren't bad enough to matter when reading a book (ie the benefits of the larger font outweighs the infelicities). When they are, I abandon the pdf--I only get pdfs for free or from the library, I don't buy them.

It doesn't matter how you load them unless they are DRMed in which case you need ADE.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Joykins
    If you view the pdf in small font the formatting is perfect.

If you view the pdf in small font you will need a magnifying glass to read it.

I've had the same problems even leaving the PDF in the original font size (usually small). I've never NOT had issues with PDF formatting correctly for my nook. So I guess you're lucky if you can have the format turn out perfect in small format - just bust out that magnifying lens, or that new page-magnifier I've been seeing on TV, it's roughly the same size as the nook and you'll be golden!
    Currently reading:
    The Poisoned House - Michael Ford
    Book Challenge 2011 38 bks read of 60

12,724 Pages Read of 12,000

My Shelf Confessions