Extra Storage via microSDHC

Tom Sawyer

Default Extra Storage via microSDHC

Does anyone extend their nook memory with extra micro disks? How does this work? (just save ePub files to the disk and they show up in nook Documents?)

Also, is there a special nook compatibility reason why these items are so pricey on the B&N site? (See nook Essentials - scroll down to microSDHC examples here http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/a...?cds2Pid=30253). I'm finding what appears to be a similar thing for much better prices elsewhere online (SanDisk 8GB microSDHC for 1/3 the price on BN.com), but I have only bought extra storage disks a few times, and that was just for a camera, so wanted to double check here in case there's something special to be aware of.

(And no, I haven't run out of space yet!)

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tiny Tim

Default Re: Extra Storage via microSDHC

Hi

I'll only answer one part of your questions until I don't have my Nook.

You can buy any Micro SDHC you want. The only difference you'll find can be the speed between two different models. But, this only affects the transfer speed when you load ebooks from your computer. You won't see any difference when you read your Nook.
    Position of Nook: Probably a street in Bordeaux.

Puck

Does anyone extend their nook memory with extra micro disks? How does this work? (just save ePub files to the disk and they show up in nook Documents?)

Yep will show up in My Documents.

Also, is there a special nook compatibility reason why these items are so pricey on the B&N site?

Because B&N doesn't buy & sell in large quantiles. And is one of those high-profit margin items. Just like Camera batteries are always near retail and usually can save quite a few dollars going online or 3rd party equivalents.

If 8gb are too high then go to 4gb. And you can buy them on sale at Best Buy,Amazon,etc for best price when on sale. SD cards are priced to demand highest price for maximum size. Where as a step or two down gives you best bang for the dollar.

Personally I have over 70 books on the nook and about 130 on the computer kept backed up,tagged and organized by the Free Calibre software. Also until nook gets folder or genre type organizing I would like to keep finding a book easier than wading thru 100's of books slowly with the way nook does it now.

And for me I really don't see a need for an SD card for it. If I was doing a lot of audio books or mp3 music files then Maybe. As am only using about 10% of the internal 2gb memory as it is.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

Thanks orb9220 and Almamida! This is very helpful. I may not need the extra storage but definitely good to know any type (as long as right type) is acceptable, and also where the items would show up. I don't have much on mine yet (a screen's worth) but can see that organization is going to be an issue.

P.S. Almamida, love the "position of nook" tag line. You should make a map to show it's trajectory!

Tiny Tim

Thanks for the correction ! I change it right now.
    Otherwise I'll try to make a map.
    Position of Nook: Probably a street in Bordeaux.

Benjamin Button

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner
    Thanks orb9220 and Almamida! This is very helpful. I may not need the extra storage but definitely good to know any type (as long as right type) is acceptable, and also where the items would show up. I don't have much on mine yet (a screen's worth) but can see that organization is going to be an issue.
    If you don't mind waiting a few months, the best time to buy memory cards is Black Friday (day after Thanksgiving sale). I only buy my cards during this sale. Last year, I picked up SanDisk 8GB microSDHC cards for $15 each. I hope to pick up 16GB cards this year.

Tom Sawyer

Quote Originally Posted by tubemonkey
    If you don't mind waiting a few months, the best time to buy memory cards is Black Friday (day after Thanksgiving sale).
    Good point...I think we got s.t. for a camera one year. Will keep this in mind! (Good xmas list item, too...)

Quote Originally Posted by tubemonkey
    If you don't mind waiting a few months, the best time to buy memory cards is Black Friday (day after Thanksgiving sale). I only buy my cards during this sale. Last year, I picked up SanDisk 8GB microSDHC cards for $15 each. I hope to pick up 16GB cards this year.
    Great idea!! I have an 8GB but would like to pick up a "cheap" 16GB in hopes that B&N will eventually fix the organization issue. Yes, I am an optimist!
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.