Things look grim for B&N

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mr. Darcy

Default Things look grim for B&N

I just read this article on the front page of Yahoo: http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/110381/clearance-sale-barnes-noble-didnt-evolve-enough?mod=career-leadership

I'm worried about what this means for the nook. Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mowgli

Default Re: Things look grim for B&N

Even if they do go under you can always buy ebooks from elsewhere, thats the good thing about the Nook. More then likely someone will buy them (or at least the name) and fix them up.

What this means for people who purchased ebooks from them who knows? You can't put them on just any ereader after all.

Mowgli

I'm new to the ebook realm but I thought the advantage of the B&N ebooks was their epub format, that allowed them to be read on other hardware. I am soooo confused. I think I'm going back to paper.
    Mr. Bill

Currently reading:

The Old Testament
    John MacArthur's guide to the Book of Hebrews (Bible stuff)
    Tess Gerritsen's - Rizzoli and Isles series

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

There's a few other threads on here about this subject with more thoughts on the subject, but I think we'll be fine.

Mad Hatter

There have been a number of threads on this very topic.

We (Nook owners) can buy from a variety of sources (and use other formats beside EPUB (which does show up the best)) and we have libraries that we can borrow eBooks from.

I don't envision all eBook retailers going away any time soon.

Donna

Benjamin Button

I don't care about B&N's problems. I just want them to either release Nook 2 or drop the price of Nook 1 to something reasonable for its dated technology. Black Friday may hold some nice surprises for us. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Tom Sawyer

Quote Originally Posted by tubemonkey
    I don't care about B&N's problems. I just want them to either release Nook 2 or drop the price of Nook 1 to something reasonable for its dated technology. Black Friday may hold some nice surprises for us. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Well said and I agree with you very much!
    Currently Reading:
    Harry Potter & The Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling

Mowgli

I've been tracking this since B&N first announced they decided to put together an evaluation team. I've been tracking it because (a) I'm concerned about the future of the Nook and (2) I've been interviewing with B&N for the past several months (I start the 30th!)

So, here's my take on the subject:

B&N announced one of the options the board is considering is selling the company to private investors, effectively taking the company private. To my knowledge they never mentioned putting the company on the block, so all the buzz about Amazon or Borders buying B&N is pure speculation. Personally, I don't believe Borders is in any position to buy anything. Amazon had a chance to buy Borders back when Borders was worth something, and chose not to. Amazon is doing very well with their current business model. Why buy a brick and mortar chain when partnering with one would be more cost effective? Of course, if B&N kicks into high gear they will need to do better than they're doing with Target.

Taking B&N private makes a lot of sense. The last thing B&N needs is a bunch of Wall Street analysts second guessing everything they do. Wall Street is very short sighted and has little patience for companies that are rebuilding themselves. B&N's current stock price reflects that.

I'm not worried about the future of the Nook. B&N is throwing a lot of money behind the Nook and it's related products. I don't see that changing in the foreseeable future. I'm looking forward to seeing the Nook Boutique, though personally I wish they would call it something else. Whenever I hear "boutique" I think of the perfume counter at Macy's.

There are some things B&N needs to do to compete with Amazon, but I think they are on the right track. The main thing is to get Wall Street off their back. If they can do that, I'm not worried about the future of the company or the Nook.

Puck

I'm hoping if they do go belly-up they will somehow release the DRM for the books I paid for.

If B&N goes away, my Nooks dies... then what?

Benjamin Button

Quote Originally Posted by NightGoat
    If B&N goes away, my Nooks dies... then what?
    Strip the DRM and get a Kindle.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast