Charging your Nook

Mowgli

Default Charging your Nook

I'm just curious what the best way is to charge my Nook. Is it best to leave it plugged in and charging when not in use so it doesn't become very low, or is it better to let the battery run really low and then charge it? I don't want the battery to suddenly run out on me. Thanx!

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mr. Darcy

Default Re: Charging your Nook

Hey, I charge mine when I see it has about a 1/4 left, however, Nook will tell you when its time to charge and give you time to continue reading. How long after the warning I don't know because I usually finish the chapter and then plug it in.

Puck

I don't think it's necessary to let the battery run all the way down before charging. Just charge it fully whenever you need to. Mine was at 45% last night but will be doing alot of reading today while waiting for car to be serviced, so charged it up last night. Don't want to run out of juice on the road.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

Charge when ever you feel the need. lipo batteries are not prone to shorter life due to frequent charging.
    Reading Now: Hostile Intent
    Recently Finished: The Pawn

Thing 2

yeah, apparenlty the nook battery has no memory i let mine die out completely (which takes forever) but that's partially due to personal preference and partially due to i'm lazy

[quote author=Klaatu link=topic=6826.msg72577#msg72577 date=1296793819]
    'Stay thirsty, my friends.' [/quote]

Tom Sawyer

I use mine usually 2 or 3 hours a day, sometimes more, and I don't think I have gotten below half battery. But I do charge it overnight pretty much every night. But once it is fully charged I don't think there is a reason to keep charging it esp. if you aren't planning on using. It supposedly uses no battery power at all if you have it in airplane mode and it is just sitting there. From what I understand the little touchscreen and turning the pages is the only thing that uses up your battery if you have it in airplane mode. I believe that was what you were asking... if you should leave it plugged in when not in use. I don't see a reason to and might do more harm than good.

If you have it out of airplane mode and it is constantly searching for wifi, then that would eat up your battery.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?'. Douglas Adams

'No two persons ever read the same book.' Edmund Wilson

Tom Sawyer

You can leave it plugged in when not in use, there is a mechanism (I don't recall what the name is) to keep this from damaging the battery. You probably don't want to do it too often either way, as that's wasting power, but it won't hurt anything if you just happen to forget that it's plugged in.

Lithium Ion batteries do best at around 60% charge. They have a limited number of FULL charges/discharges. Charging it from around 30% and up is best. But, for the health of the battery, it is good to let it run very low (5% or so) and fully recharge it once in awhile - like every few months or so.

Hopefully all that babbling makes sense!
    Currently reading the entire Animorphs series