How many use the larger font option?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tom Sawyer

Default How many use the larger font option?

Hello, I am a Nook wanna-be, have been to the store numerous times to hold the Nook. BUT I will need to use it in the next to largest font and am afraid I will be turning the page every 2 or 3 words!!!
    I have begged B&D to come out with a larger version Nook for those of us who are somewhat visually challenged, but have heard nothing from the requests.
    Does anyone here use the larger font setting? Does turning the pages so frequently drive you crazy?
    Has ANYONE heard of a larger screen version coming out soon?
    I have only recently found this board and am sooo happy to learn so much about the Nook. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

Default Re: How many use the larger font option?

I use the extra large font on Nook too, but it's not really "extra large" to me. The largest is too large. I'd like something in between those two. I have only had mine for about 10 days. I wonder why they didn't make more sizes to choose from? I've become used to the second largest font though.

Amazon Kindle and Bookeen Cybook Opus (5" featherweight reader) come with numerous sizes of fonts. I have both, so that's why I'd expect more sizes from B&N.

Mad Hatter

@ beachmom: First, welcome to NOOKBOARDS.

I personally don't use the large to largest size fonts on my Nook a lot, but my Mom has visual challenges so she often will pick up large print books and has tried the large (not largest) font setting on my Nook.

She said that she does have to turn the page (obviously) more than what she sees I do when I am reading on it. I think determining if the frequency of the turn... when you use the buttons (which she does) or the swipe (I do)... will be too distracting may come into play when you think about if you are a fast or slow reader.

If you haven't actually tried a Nook, have you talked to anybody at a B&N to see if they'll let you look at a working unit? It might help you figure out if this eReader is for you or not.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Donna

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

I use the larger fonts and don't seem to notice the frequent page turns. It's sort of an automatic action to me now (kind of like breathing?) - I automatically swipe or click when I get to the next to the last line. I usually use Amasis Large or Extra-Large depending on my eye-strain issues I'm having at the time. Try one of the in-store demo units (you can change the fonts on them) to see if you are comfortable with it.

Puck

I use the extra large font all the time and have not really noticed how few or many words are on each page, nor do I feel like I'm swiping so frequently that it becomes annoying. I guess it's about what you get used to. I just know that until I bought my Nook, my vision issues were preventing me from reading. After getting my Nook I'm able to read at length on most days and have read about 35 books since I got it on February 26. I've been catching up on all the reading I'd missed and wanted while trying to get these vision issues under control. They are still not the best, but having my Nook has made all the difference. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who finds they are having any sort of vision issues when reading a DTB. My opthamalogist was the one who suggested that I might consider getting an e-reader because they are much easier on the eyes. I followed her advice and it is much easier. Having the ability to enlarge the text so easily is heaven-sent. And as if that isn't enough reason, I believe you read much faster using an e-reader because each page is in sort of a 'column' format, meaning your eyes aren't moving nearly as much which in turn means less eye strain. I love my Nook. My husband tells people his wife is having an affair with some guy named McGuffey Nook

Mowgli

I have had my Nook for about 2 weeks now and I have been using the large font setting from the get go. It's perfect for me and I don't feel I am turning pages too frequently. And even if it was on the larger settings, turning the page is no big deal it's sooooo easy! Just the touch of a button or a quick swipe. The larger font would be worth it to me. I agree with another poster. Go into a B&N and have it demo'd. We had a awesome guy demo the nook for us.
    www.cindysthisandthat.typepad.com

Mad Hatter

nookiefan, how great to hear your story... I am so happy for you!

Donna

Oliver

I totally agree with nookiefan. I feel the exact same way. I use the extra-EXTRA large and have no worries turning the page. It's not big deal. I hit the button when I'm on the last line and it works just fine. I love the large text. Makes reading so much faster for me.

garden2

I've had my Nook since June and always use the extra large font. I love it! Had about given up being able to do much reading because of my eye problems. It's a huge blessing to have the Nook. I do find that I read faster, which is a bonus. My Kindle owning friend has found she reads faster also. I quickly adjusted to the page turns and don't notice. Except for occassionally when I unconsciously swipe too soon looking forward to what will happen next in the story. ha
    dell

garden2

and I might add that I tend to be really irritated at technology. But I really like the Nook!
    dell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast