Just bought a nook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tom Sawyer

Default Just bought a nook

Now I'm wondering if I should have held off. I only bought it last week so I guess I could exchange it. Although if there is a new nook it will take a while to get one I imagine. If it is a color screen I am really not interested though. I read in black and white and the bottom screen already has color. I can see this being great for magazines and children's books. However I don't plan on using those on my nook. Who can keep up with this, it seems every year or so there is a "new and improved" version.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

Default Re: Just bought a nook

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa
    Now I'm wondering if I should have held off. I only bought it last week so I guess I could exchange it. Although if there is a new nook it will take a while to get one I imagine. If it is a color screen I am really not interested though. I read in black and white and the bottom screen already has color. I can see this being great for magazines and children's books. However I don't plan on using those on my nook. Who can keep up with this, it seems every year or so there is a "new and improved" version.
    Congratulations for grabbing a nook! I agree that I don't need color when I'm reading at all. It'd just be a distraction at best and an annoyance at worst. As for constant updates, companies do that on purpose. They love to have you fishing in your wallet as often as they can.

What genres do you enjoy reading most?
    http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/a...uspense125.jpg
    My Nook Books: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/c/jason-letts

Tom Sawyer

Mainly fantasy,some bestsellers and historical novels.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa
    Until Tuesday when the event is held, everything being said is all rumor and speculation. I tend to think it's NOT going to be a nook2 because of where the event is being held - in a somewhat smaller venue that is only really big enough for author signings (from what one article said.) I think it's more likely going to be a demonstration of the new updates features, and maybe some new accessories - one article mentioned colored snap on bevels for the nook - which would be cool. But even that is part of the rumor mill. No one knows anything for sure!

I don't think you bought your nook at a bad time, you bought it an excellent time because the new update is coming up soon! The nook has not even been around a year yet, so it'd be a little too soon to even hit the one year mark - if that is the determination on when a new generation of a product is expected - and I don't think it should be that way.

WElcome to nookboards, we're happy to have you - please feel free to imbibe in the koolaid!!

Don't forget to check out the Nook Knacks section of the board where you will find tons of accesorries to go with your new nook!!
    Currently reading:
    The Poisoned House - Michael Ford
    Book Challenge 2011 38 bks read of 60

12,724 Pages Read of 12,000

My Shelf Confessions

Mad Hatter

Donna

Tom Sawyer

Hi, Melissa! Congratulations of your nook!

Don't forget to get the free book on Fridays. Someone helpfully posts a link here for that. I got a fair number of free books - even before I got my nook - and I have noticed that they have been heavy in the scifi/fantasy genre.

You can also go into Search on your nook, tap the 123 key on the keyboard, and type "0.00" in the search box. That will bring up a host of free stuff, including some that are Smashwords ebooks...lots of your favorite genre there, too.

Puck

I wouldn't worry about a new and improved version, it's bound to happen eventually no matter when you bought your device.

I really don't have much trust in a company that cranks out a new and improved version every year or so on a device.
    It's either digging in our pockets, playing on our hedonistic desires for the latest and greatest or saying that their current/past product is junk and needs an upgrade.

It won't break my heart if we don't see nook2 until next year this time or later.

Tom Sawyer

Quote Originally Posted by inkonvelvet
    I join the chorus in welcoming you and congratulation you on joining the nook cult family!
    Haha, just stay away from the kool-aid, Melissa!
    http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/a...uspense125.jpg
    My Nook Books: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/c/jason-letts

Oliver

Hi Melissa,

Welcome to the nook family! I also just bought mine. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Puck

I wouldn't worry too much. If they announce anything, I think it will be as the rumors say, Nook Color. Which most likely will be an LCD device rather than a color e-Ink screen or something like that. I've heard they have already registered the http://www.nookcolor.com domain and it appears true, since going there re-directs to a BN.com page not found error.

At any rate, it's not worrying me, because the rumors also say that it will be priced around $250. I would only be remotely tempted if it were an e-Ink screen and even then, it probably wouldn't be worth it to me. The existing Nook is a nice reader. One that hopefully will be a bit better with the coming update. Most of what I want to read is in black and white as well. At any rate, we should know more two days from now and you can decide then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast