Nook deletes all your files?

Mowgli

Default Nook deletes all your files?

I just saw this article over at Consumerist..
    "If you own a Nook, you better make sure you regularly update its software, otherwise you might lose all your files that are not B&N books. That's what happened to Michael, and customer service told him that it can happen if the device hasn't been updated recently. The updates are too much for it to handle so it has to spontaneously jettison all foreign objects! Or something like that."

First, has this happened to you or anyone you know?
    Second, Who doesn't back up their side loads?
    'Eating solid food since 1957'

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: Nook deletes all your files?

I'm going to call shenanigans on that. There has to be some other reason for this guy (not me by the way) losing his side-loaded content. I'll bet a dollar it was because he never properly ejected his Nook from his computer.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

Mr. Darcy

I had what I thought was a similar problem. I went to "My Documents" and noticed that the vast majority of my books were not listed! I went back and forth trying different things and finally just completely powered it down and turned it back on. Wouldn't you know - everything was back.

I should mention that all the "missing" files were on my microSD card and not the main internal memory. Obviously a bug in there somewhere. At least nothing was truly lost.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Anyway, it's ridiculous to say "to regular update it's software" because the only software updates come from B&N and the updates are not what I would call "regular." I haven't ever had a problem after an update. I agree with you Michael, it was probably the result of not ejecting properly. I doubt that CS would say that this happens "if the device hasn't been updated recently" because that would mean it's B&N's fault and if they don't pump out the updates quickly we're all in risk of losing our books.. give me a break.
    Currently reading:
    The Poisoned House - Michael Ford
    Book Challenge 2011 38 bks read of 60

12,724 Pages Read of 12,000

My Shelf Confessions

Tom Sawyer

And since they are side-loaded - more than likely you have a copy anyway unless you deleted it as soon as you side-loaded it.

I had something weird (and similar, kind of) happen to me last week, where my B&N library just completely disappeared on me. My Nook's battery died, so I recharged it and when it turned back on, it was all "gone." It said something like "No Items." That was it. So I rebooted it, and the same thing happened again. I think on the 3rd reboot, it all came back.

I wasn't terribly worried, because everything is backed up, but it was a little aggravating.

Puck

A person should never use one device to hold their important data. Everything that is important to me exists in at least three different locations. I would no sooner trust my nook to never fail than I would my hard drive.