PDNovel WHITE Over NookColor? ETA: ADDED INPUT ON NOVEL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mowgli

Default PDNovel WHITE Over NookColor? ETA: ADDED INPUT ON NOVEL

I was all ready to pre-order the NookColor on B&N but then something told me to check eBay for prices, and I discovered the $150 (average price) NEW in box PanDigital E-Reader that has a FULL-COLOR Touch-Screen larger than Nook display and will do more than the NookColor does, for MUCH cheaper! I paid $140 and free shipping, and it is NEW in box, and according to the PanDigital website, it rivals the NookColor and is just as good if not better!
    Anyone else feel like they are over-paying for the NookColor? I am only buying this new reader because the only handheald electronic device I have besides my old Nook is a MP3/Video player, which has a tiny 1.5" screen for video playing. I am very excited to get this new reader! If I'm not happy with it, I may still buy the NookColor when the price goes down!

ETA 11/16:
    I got my Novel yesterday, after waiting all day for the slow mail to drop it at my door. I was sooooo excited to get it! When I turned it on, it was as bright and colorful as I expected, and I loved the interface and how you can see all the color covers of your books on the digital 'bookshelf'! I had such a hard time figuring out how to add covers to the Nook for my personal ebooks, that this was a luxury for me.
    But then I noticed several issues by this morning that I am severely disappointed in:
    1. I can't add a bookmark to my ebooks! There is an option to 'view bookmarks' but no add option! WTF??
    2. Reading an ebook in night mode for little over an hour made the battery drain over half way! (It only has a supposedly 6-hour battery life anyway before needing a recharge, so I am afraid to try watching videos!)
    3. While reading my ebook, a mysterious occurence: the top option bar would open, and it would auto select 'Contents' all on it's own, making me have to try to close the contents box to read a bit more! Not only that, but this happens every 3 minutes or so! (Yes, I am definitely contacting PanDigital!)
    4. Since the touch-screen seemed to be wonky and it sometimes took forever to get a button to activate or a box to close because I couldn't click the spot, I did like the book said and 'Calibrated' the touch-screen. What it does is it's supposed to put a tiny 'x' on a blank screen and you touch it so the sensors will know where to go or whatever. Well, at first it was doing ok but for some reason kept saying "Calibration failed, try again!" so after about 3 or 4 tries, all of a sudden the 'x' would only appear on the screen for a fraction of a second before saying "failed" again! WTF???
    5. I can't seem to find any active (as much as this forum is active) forums for just the Novel, but I did find one on a Droid site but it seemed to be mostly for hacking the Novel. (Which I may do, if it will erase all these bothersome and aggrivating issues!) Does anyone know of any Novel forums?

I did figure out that even though Calibre program has no Novel selection, if I plug in the Novel with the mini USB, I can still add books using the same directions I use for Nook. So, that's nice it's easy to add my books! I have collected about 200 or so since I first got my Nook!

I WAS planning on possibly selling my Nook if the Novel met the same needs and then some, but since the battery is so low (I did order a car charger however, and the Novel came with a AC adapter) I may keep Nook just for trips or overnight stays or something.

The weight is a factor, because I can't hold it without having it propped on something. If I had a nice leather hardback cover for it with straps to hold it into the cover, like the ones on eBay for the Nook and Kindle, it would be much nicer and easier to hold...

I have to give props to Pandigital for adding such neat features as the way you can just turn the Novel horizontally and it will auto-adjust the screen to be a horizon view!

So, so far I do recommend getting the Novel if you want something more than just a reader, but only if you can get it for around $100 or less. Make SURE you get the WHITE version, because although they look identical, the WHITE one for some reason has much better options and features than the Black. (I know, I wanted the Black one purely for aesthetic purposes, but then I found out the White one is the way to go.) It does originally seem like a great deal and an awesome reader/tablet, but then if you have as many issues as I've had with it, it might seem like a big waste of money. If I had just one or two minor issues (like the fact that it weight a pound or more! Feels like a harcover dictionary in weight!), I'd totally be in love! Oh well, it can't be perfect, I guess!

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

Default Re: Other E-Readers Over NookColor?

Go here. Everything about the Novel. You did buy the white one didn't you? The black one is inferior to the white Novel.
    http://www.slatedroid.com/pandigital...et-discussion/

BTW If the NookColor turns out to have a capacitive touchscreen, it will be much better than the Novel. Also, I think the NookColor has a better processor & is running Android 2.1. Anyway, there is a discussion at Slatedroid about the NookColor. Oh, the Novel will not do more than the NookColor. Son't know where you got that.

Cheers,
    kev

d'Artagnan

Quote Originally Posted by slow_mo_panda
    I was all ready to pre-order the NookColor on B&N but then something told me to check eBay for prices, and I discovered the $150 (average price) NEW in box PanDigital E-Reader that has a FULL-COLOR Touch-Screen larger than Nook display and will do more than the NookColor does, for MUCH cheaper! I paid $140 and free shipping, and it is NEW in box, and according to the PanDigital website, it rivals the NookColor and is just as good if not better!
    Anyone else feel like they are over-paying for the NookColor? I am only buying this new reader because the only handheald electronic device I have besides my old Nook is a MP3/Video player, which has a tiny 1.5" screen for video playing. I am very excited to get this new reader! If I'm not happy with it, I may still buy the NookColor when the price goes down!
    No. I could have bought the Pandigital a couple of weeks ago for $80, and didn't think it was worth even that.

But good luck with it though. I'm not seeing where or how it's so much better than the Nook Color. For the high end hardware and specs, I'm actually pleasantly surprised that it has a $250 price point.
    Currently Reading:
    A Song of Ice and Fire Series

Next up:
    The Entire Oz Series

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Don't go with the Pandigital! I'm not saying that because this is a nook board but because the Pandigital is not a very good product. There are lots of videos on Youtube for you to see how the device works and I guarantee you will be disappointed. I thought at first the Pandigital would be similar to the way the Ipad works but it is not. To navigate around you have to tap pretty hard on the screen to get it to do anything. It's frustrating trying to navigate. The screen is not bad once you get there it's just the getting there that's such a pain!

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

Mr. Darcy

I think I'm going to be content with my nookoriginal for my e-reader and wait until a decent tablet comes out for color touchscreen device. Not a fan of what is available right now and waiting for them to get slimmer, sleeker, and more functional

Puck

I have a Pandigital. pulled it out of the box maybe 3 times, it's a TERRIBLE product! reminds me of the knock off iPhone I bought. the touch screen is HORRID and it is SLOOOOOOW! good luck with yours, I hope you have better luck with it than I did. I would never buy another of their products.
    Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.

Puck

this review doesnt sound too promising - but i hope you have better luck with yours.
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/20/p...-novel-review/
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cheap-e-Reads/163454373711210#
    http://cheapereads.blogspot.com/

Mowgli

Thank you all for the heads-up! I hope that the seller did send me the white one he had in the auction and not a black one! Also, I am not too extremely picky about slow speed or hard touch-screen as long as the fuctions and apps are good! It is rather frustrating that I have to go downtown to get wifi and 3G access, though! If I lived in a 3-G zone I would not hesitate to have gotten a 3-G NookColor, since I love being online!
    I hope that the Novel is not too extremely heavy, it did say that it has a glass screen?
    Thanks to you all for the info!

Mowgli

Quote Originally Posted by slow_mo_panda
    It is rather frustrating that I have to go downtown to get wifi and 3G access, though! If I lived in a 3-G zone I would not hesitate to have gotten a 3-G NookColor, since I love being online!
    I hope that the Novel is not too extremely heavy, it did say that it has a glass screen?
    Thanks to you all for the info!
    Sadly there isn't a 3G NookColor. It's wifi only.

I've read reviews that say the Novel weighs about 16 ounces? That's a few oz more than the original nook, so I'd say that would be noticeable but not TOO heavy. Hope you like it.

Mowgli

I have watched several videos on the Novel, and it can also be 'soft-rooted' to become more like an Android Tablet, and it will have more downloadable apps, and more cool features. I think I will be happy enough with what it originally comes with though. Also, it has been said by many users who commented on the videos that if I use a stylus to the touch screen, it will work much easier. I may order a stylus for that reason.
    I am expecting to get my Novel either Monday or Tuesday, and I can't wait!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast