NC battery life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NC battery life

Puck

Default NC battery life

so, had to plug it in last night and as far as i can tell there is no option to charge on computer, wall outlet only. i got 15 hours out of it with light internet use and moderate reading, and it was left on sleep mode. i am not sure that it automatically disconnects from my wireless at home when it goes into sleep mode. i logged onto my PC last night with my NC downstairs in my purse and my wireless connection alerted me to my NC being online. for the type of use i give it during the week this is okay with me. we'll see how it runs down on the weekend when i have more time to spend reading. this doesnt bother me because i am used to having my phone on charge most of the time. i need a car charger and then i will be set.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cheap-e-Reads/163454373711210#
    http://cheapereads.blogspot.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: NC battery life

That doesn't sound too bad at all. The battery life right now is my biggest concern about the NC. Oh yeah, and the fact that I don't actually need a new ereader, but that's besides the point.
    www.twitter.com/decrescenzo

'The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.' - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by akfloyd
    as far as i can tell there is no option to charge on computer, wall outlet only.
    Is it not a USB cord with a wall wart to plug the cord in? Thought I saw that on the video I watched. I can't imagine that it requires more power to charge than an iPad, and that charges just fine via USB.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

Quote Originally Posted by karrde
    Is it not a USB cord with a wall wart to plug the cord in? Thought I saw that on the video I watched. I can't imagine that it requires more power to charge than an iPad, and that charges just fine via USB.
    actually, my ipad won't charge via usb to the pc.

I charged my NC for the first time this morning. I had it on since I unboxed it, reading and messing around with it quite a bit during the week. The battery seems good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Crakeur
    actually, my ipad won't charge via usb to the pc.
    Mine wouldn't when plugged into a USB hub. I had to plug it directly into the computer.

Puck

nope, it isnt a USB at all, just the plug for the wall on one end and the connector for the NC on the other. i had read a review that said it isnt able to be charged from your computer because the wall connection charges it quicker. something about the pins in the connector being the same as an Ipad too.

http://review.techworld.com/e-book-r...amicPage&print
    "Even with so much worthy of accolades, there is room for improvement, too. My biggest gripe lies with the unit's MicroUSB port. The port has a second set of pins that provide a 2000mAh (or 2AMP) rapid charge for the 4000mAH battery. (That's four times the mAh of most typical consumer electronics.)

Unfortunately, the benefit of the rapid charge, and it's fast, I was surprised by how quickly NookColor juiced up, is offset by the need to use only the included charger and cable in order to power the device. Sure, the charger has pleasing, subtle touches like an outlet plug that collapses into the compact brick, and a glowing Nook "n" that shows its charging status, but it's the only source of power. If you use a cable other than the one supplied, you can only transfer data. At the least, Barnes & Noble should have allowed for a trickle charge, just as you get on the Apple iPad. Want an additional charger? That'll be an extra $25. As for the battery, the company says it should last 8 hours."

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cheap-e-Reads/163454373711210#
    http://cheapereads.blogspot.com/

I charged my nookcolor this afternoon and have read on it for the last three hours. With wifi on it is down to 68%. I haven't played any music and there was about 20 minutes in sleep mode. I checked it every hour and it was 89% after sleep mode and the first hour of reading which was heavy on the highlighting. After that I switched to a novel and after the second hour I was at 78%. I am going to turn the wifi off tomorrow and see how that affects the battery life.

Puck

Mine charged off the included USB cable when connected directly to my laptop. It may not power off a USB hub unless that hub has it's own power supply. The connector on the included USB cable is the same size as a standard microUSB, but I can see the pins are different. The nC's cable cannot be used with other microUSB device (it wouldn't fit my phone) I tried a standard microUSB cable with the NC and it does work for sideloading, but I can't tell if it charges the nookcolor. The NC's battery icon doesn't change regardless of which cable i use, but I also have a full charge on the battery. I may need to drain it a little and try again.

Edit: Played around with it some more. The NC only charges off a USB port if the screen is off. If the screen is on it will slowly discharge the battery.

With the wifi on I let a movie run for about 20-30 minutes. Battery charge dropped from 82 to 78%. Plugged it up and turned the screen off for a while and when I checked again the battery was back to 82%. Played another movie for about 25 minutes, but with it still plugged in and the battery only dropped to 81%.

Oliver

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here. I've been reading the discussions and I'm still debating to go with the Classic or the Color. I went to B&N last night to look at the color. I forgot to ask one question about the battery. I know on the Classic you can change the battery yourself and the Color you cannot. When your battery goes on the Color, what do you do then? Go to B&N and they change it? I just don't want it to be a hassle. That was the deal breaker for me on the Kindle. The fact you have to send it back to Amazon.

Thanks!

Dana

d'Artagnan

The owners manual does state the NC only charges with the 'wall wart'. The battery % charge will read at the bottom of that line 'charging' when plugged into the wall.
    When the usb cable is plugged into the computer, it shows up the usual way like nook but the bottom of the line that shows battery % states: not charging.
    Don't forget to eject or dismount just like nook when disconnecting from the computer.
    NC is one sweet little machine. I can't believe how quick it connects to a wifi spot. Page turns are, if you blink when you turn a page you won't know it happened.
    iPad, look out!
    Wonder what Amazon has up its sleeve? Just curious, would never go over to the dark side.
    MikFinkel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast