Nook for audio books?

murphy t

Default Nook for audio books?

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone has any experience using the Nook with audio books. I was thinking of getting one for my mother who is visually impaired. It looks as tho it would be easy for her to use once I download a book for her.
    Thanks in advance, Murphy

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

Default Re: Nook for audio books?

If that is the sole purpose of the Nook, IMO there are much better options out there. I was going to download an audiobook once onto my Nook, but then found out the file size is so big it will only hold 4 audiobooks.

murphy t

Thanks for the reply. I have been looking at other mp3 players etc. but the Nook is by far the easiest for the visually impaired, Once I set her up with a book all she has to do is turn it on and hit the play button, which I can mark below where it is located. Can you remove the books once you are done with them I would most likely use library books.
    Also, do you have to download the mp3 books to your computer first, even if you are getting them from B&N?
    Murphy

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

My experience with audiobooks is only from buying from itunes or downloading from the library. I've never pulled an audiobook from itunes to the Nook. For the library books that you check out online you just download to overdrive media console. When you check out the book it should give you the option to download the console program. Open up the media console and select transfer, and the program will automatically search for a device to transfer the audiofile to. You can delete the audiobook off the Nook once your finished. There maybe an easier way, but I just hook it up to the computer and open the nook in explorer and delete the files off.

In your case, if your mom is going to listen to alot of books, your going to want to spend the extra $16 and get a SD memory card.

murphy t

Thanks turtleneck.
    I am going to B&N now to look at the Nook again. Will get SD memory card if I decide to get the Nook.
    Murphy

Puck

Quote Originally Posted by murphy t
    Thanks turtleneck.
    I am going to B&N now to look at the Nook again. Will get SD memory card if I decide to get the Nook.
    Murphy
    Probably a little late but I listen to audio books all the time, but not on my nook. I think you'd be better getting a simple MP3 player that supports audible.com and wma overdrive files. You can get a monthly subscription to audible for around $14 and download others through overdrive. Sansa has some good players and audible has a list of supported players.