Can my friend add library books to my nook?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tom Sawyer

Default Can my friend add library books to my nook?

I bought an extra nook to loan to my friend who is currently reading a library book I have checked out.

I'm probably not going to see her until Xmas, and she was wondering if she could put a book on it?

She could easily get her own library card, or maybe borrow my number, but could she authorize my adobe ID on her computer?

My nook and ADE id are actually not the same anyway, so could she just authorize that nook on her own ADE id if she got her own library card?

I'm guessing that the ADE and the library emails are the ones that actually need to match?

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Default Re: Can my friend add library books to my nook?

Wait until someone more knowledgable then me comes along.. but I think more than just the emails need to match. The nook and ADE somehow recognize each other, and it goes beyond just email addresses, I forgt exactly what though since I registered mine along time ago and haven't had problems.. something tells me that you might need to do something else then what you're planning though.

I think though to keep things simple, to have her register the nook on her own ID and her own computer with ADE account, and not use yours.. then you won't run into problems, but like I said, someone else more expert than me to come along and answer
    Currently reading:
    The Poisoned House - Michael Ford
    Book Challenge 2011 38 bks read of 60

12,724 Pages Read of 12,000

My Shelf Confessions

Tom Sawyer

I think that you would have to get the file from the same Adobe Digital Editions on the same computer. I know that I can put my library ebooks on my Nook, Sony and Cybook Opus readers, from my ADE. But if you email the file to your friend, I don't think it would work for them to put the file on ADE in THEIR computer. It has something to do with the DRM.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

So your friend could bring their reader over and load the book from your ADE on your computer, but you may have to authorize their device (that's never been a problem for me with my 3 epub readers).

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

Thanks for the advice so far!

I'm not going to see my friend until xmas, so my thinking was that anything she downloaded would be straight to her own computer, either logging into my library account or getting her own. She would also have to download ADE. I'm just not sure what to advise her as to what has to match, as my nook's email address is different from my library/ADE email addresses, but I'm sure it would be no problem to wipe the nook and authorize it to her ADE if she were to create her own.

It may be easier for her to just create her own, and probably there's nothing she would want to read that doesn't have a wait, but I suspect she may be "long term borrowing" my second nook, so if we can figure out to best go about it from two separate locations that would be great! (And if we only had to go through the waiting list once and read the same books, that would be extraordinary! This is what we were doing just now, but I just don't see her often enough to transfer all the books from my hard drive/ADE to both of our nooks)

Mowgli

I'm not completely sure but I would encourage her to go ahead and download ADE and open her library account using the same email address. I know if you gave her the Nook she would be able to add things on (although then the Nook would be registered to her own account). I don't think trying will hurt the Nook in any way. If it doesn't work it just won't let her add the book on the device.

I also think you can have your ADE account on more than one computer in your own house so I think you could give her your ADE email and password and try it that way.

d'Artagnan

Wait! No one has zeroed in on the important information in this thread. YOU ARE WITHOUT YOUR NOOK UNTIL XMAS?!?!?!?!

Tom Sawyer

Quote Originally Posted by nookreader654
    Wait! No one has zeroed in on the important information in this thread. YOU ARE WITHOUT YOUR NOOK UNTIL XMAS?!?!?!?!
    NO WAY!!

I bought a second nook pretty much to provide this kindle-determined friend (though she doesn't have one yet) to be able to borrow library books - - but now she thinks she might want a nook instead!!

But what will I do with the kindle I bought her for xmas???

Mad Hatter

Quote Originally Posted by AmberLi
    I bought a second nook pretty much to provide this kindle-determined friend (though she doesn't have one yet) to be able to borrow library books - - but now she thinks she might want a nook instead!!

But what will I do with the kindle I bought her for xmas???
    Give her the extra Nook you bought and return the Kindle?

Donna

Puck

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but my question is so similar to the OP's I hate to start a brand new topic for it.
    My Mom wants to get a Nook. I live in TN and she lives in FL. My library is hooked up with OverDrive and has a pretty good selection. Her library doesn't. If I give her my Library Card info, could she log into my READS acct. and check out eBooks to use on her Nook through her ADE software? My very basic understanding of Libraries and ADE leads me to believe that could work, but I could be totally wrong. I also know she could sign up with the Philadelphia Library for a small yearly fee, but I'd want her to experience the library aspect before doing that.
    P.S. I have already checked my Libraries policies on Loaning the card. They say it is "strongly discouraged" for the simple fact that the holder will be responsible for any fees accrued. Not worried about that with Mom or eBooks.

</hijack>
    Sorry AmberLi!

Mad Hatter

@ ItsMe: I have done (in the reverse - Mom to me) what you described... I will deny any knowledge of your doing this should your Mom's library contact me. Good luck!

<back on topic>

Donna

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast