Your opinion of nook color! Rate 1-10

View Poll Results: What is your impression of nook color?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll

49 37.69%

32 24.62%

31 23.85%

7 5.38%

2 1.54%

3 2.31%

4 3.08%

0 0%

0 0%

2 1.54%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator

Default Your opinion of nook color! Rate 1-10

We have a poll for the original nook, how about one for nook color? It is different from the original nook since it is backlit and does not have e-ink, but it is special in it's own way as well.

If you have tried it, pick a rating 1 – 10, with 10 being "Buy it! It’s the best backlit, tablet device out there right now," and 1 being "Don’t you dare buy this piece of junk."

Give us you opinion as well by posting below, but remember to be respectful of other people’s opinions. This thread is meant to be a collection of thoughts for people looking to buy, so please do not respond to other people's opinions. Responses may (and most likely will) be removed. Discussions can happen anywhere else in the forum, this is meant to be a place where someone can come to read reviews on the nook.

If you are having technical difficulties with your device, please visit our tech forums before posting here. We have a lot for members ready and willing to help you fix your device and make it more enjoyable for you to use. Once fixed, your opinion of the nook color may change so be sure to give it a fair shake before posting.

(You may change your vote as well if you want to as you play more.)

Cheers!
    Rachel
    Visit the Barnes & Noble Store

Now Reading: As Young as We Feel by Melanie Carlson

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: Your opinion of nook color! Rate 1-10

I absolutely love my Nook Color! I have no problems reading on the LCD screen for extended periods, and I like the size of the screen. It's almost like reading a normal paperback, only better! I enjoy listening to Pandora, and the Crosswords app is fun. The NC was an impulse buy when I was in my local B&N and saw one -- no regrets at all!

Although I love my nook color and think it is a fantastic device and a real value for what it does I voted an 8. Mostly because I have found it to be a little buggy at times. It loses my shelves sometimes which, can be frustrating since the one I lost had 181 books on it. I found the wifi a little buggy but I think the update might have fixed it because I haven't had as much problems getting connected now. I think if I softrooted the device I would really really love it and I may just do that very soon.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

i love the NC and gave it a 9 only because BN doesnt have apps ready for it yet and it doesnt have 2.2. i know those are coming soon so i am waiting patiently. i love reading on my NC and all the organization it gives me for my library. i like that it syncs with facebook and allows me to share passages from books i am reading. i havent had any major or even minor issues with mine and i am very happy with it. BN hit a homerun with me.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cheap-e-Reads/163454373711210#
    http://cheapereads.blogspot.com/

Tiny Tim

I gave it an 8 for a couple of reasons.

1. It's a first generation device. The device will have growing pains for the first generation or two
    2. It was not complete, it needed a bit of work to make it a 10 (rooting the Nook)
    3. Battery life (only 8 hours)
    4. No 3G

Now for the TON of positives:

1. Color reading! This is a dream come true for me! I read books with lots of graphs and charts and I am able to use the nook to see all of the charts and graphs that explain a concept.
    2. Web links in books - click on the web link and the nook takes you to the web page it is referencing. Awesome
    3. The Apps - look much better in color
    4. Web browsing - I don't need a data plan for it and I can use it wherever there is Wi-Fi
    5. Brightness adjustments and adjustments to the text (backgrounds, fonts and font size adjustments)
    6. Magazines look MUCH better!
    7. Cookbooks and Craft books look just like the print edition.
    8. Public library access
    9. Ease of use - very intuitive
    10. Try before you buy - between the book samples and being able to read a book for an hour at a B&N store, this gives you a really good idea if you want to buy the book.

I have LOVED my Nook Color. I have only had one technical issue with it and it was a problem on the B&N end not a problem with my Nook. (problem with a magazine not opening up). This has been a wonderful e-reader for me and I will use it for a long time!

Tiny Tim

I give it an 8 out of the box, and a 9 after rooting. A perfect 10 would include Bluetooth and Menu and Back hardware keys.

@LaurieGator: 3G won't happen unless it's carrier-tied with a data plan; I don't see B&N adding that hardware. Also, have you discovered turning off the cellphone-specific services yet? My battery life is fantastic after doing that.

Tom Sawyer

While I cannot rate the Nook Color as I do not own one, just fiddled with a friend's, I wonder what percentage of the use is actually used for reading among owners. My friend bought it mainly for use as a softrooted Android tablet. He uses his Kindle mainly for reading and the NC for fun and games.
    Reading Now: Leaders Who Last by Dave Kraft & The Burning Bridge by John Flanagan

[quote]Calvin: Hey Hobbes, what's a 'paper tiger'?
    Hobbes: It's like a paper boy. You know, a tiger with a newspaper route.
    Calvin: Oh... This book makes no sense at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Tiger
    While I cannot rate the Nook Color as I do not own one, just fiddled with a friend's, I wonder what percentage of the use is actually used for reading among owners. My friend bought it mainly for use as a softrooted Android tablet. He uses his Kindle mainly for reading and the NC for fun and games.
    Good question! I know for me personally I use it about 80% for reading and 20% for other things. The option to be able to do those other things (web, videos, music, pics etc.) makes the device that much more special but I still use it mostly for reading and LOVE it!

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

I gave it an 8 in the poll, but agree with Gtriever about it being a 9 after rooting. I also believe that it will be worthy of a 9 with a new pdf reader and a few bugs fixed.

Pros:
    Adjustable font size, margins, reading modes and brightness make reading on the LCD screen very easy on the eyes even for extended (6-8 hours) of time.
    Touch screen makes for easy navigation. I find it so much easier than navigating the Classic Nook.
    Book covers displayed in My Library. I have over 300 books currently on my NC and I can easily I.D. books by their covers allowing very quick scrolling while looking for the right book.
    Easy highlighting and notes and word look-up. Another touch screen perk.
    Special section in the "Contents" menu shows all highlights and notes. Big perk for me.
    The U.I. is very intuitive and easy to use. Though figuring out where to touch to open the book menu and not turn pages took me a couple of days.
    Magazines! I hate buying magazines because then I either have to get rid of them or store them. If I clip an article out then I lose it at some point. This way I have all my magazines and get to keep them.

Cons:
    Battery life. I think the battery life is actually better than advertised, but I only get a day of reading. Of course I only get 2.5 days on the classic nook so it isn't a huge difference for me.
    PDFs. I don't like the quick office pdf reader for reading novels. Some I convert look fine in calibre and some don't. Since I rooted it I have added ezpdf and love it. They are considering making a version for the B&N app store.
    Highlighting can be a little buggy. If highlighting section titles it wants to leave off the last letter. That makes me crazy(ier.)
    A little buggy. For example if I don't exit my book before plugging in to the computer it will lose my last page. Some of the smashwords books on B&N don't use night mode correctly.
    Photo Gallery is almost useless. There is no organization and it pulls all the jpegs from the device so all of your side-loaded covers are in your photo gallery.

I really, really like my Nookcolor. I almost feel a little bad about how I have been ignoring my Classic nook, but I find the color easier to use and lovely to read on. I can only comment on the reading aspects of the Nookcolor since I have never watched videos or listened to music on the Color. But for reading it is a great device.

jstro

I gave it an 8. While it is great, there is obvious room for improvement. To me a 10 means it can't get any better. I have a NOOKcolor and and Kindle3G. I switched back and forth chapter by chapter at first to get a feel for both but now I almost never touch the Kindle. I'll probably give the Kindle to my daughter.

I wrote up a list of new year's resolutions for B&N which would help move it up to a 9. Make it lighter, add 3G, and add landscape reading for books. Those topped my list.
    ~jon

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast