Teens and eReaders

d'Artagnan

Default Teens and eReaders

My daughter came to me last week telling me about a disagreement she'd had with one of her friends. Apparently, her friend--who has a Kindle-- told her that her Nook was considered the "cheap" version of the Kindle, and it upset my kid.

It seems so ridiculous, but I see the same posturing and competitiveness from the forums on the internet, and all I could do was shake my head, and explain to her the differences between the two devices, and that some people count out other readers because the Kindle is considered "name brand". But just because it's not a Kindle doesn't make it a budget reader in any way. And even if it IS a budget reader, who cares if the end result means you get to keep and read all of your books in your library?

In the end, she felt better about her Nook, and bragged to her friend about being able to check books out of the library, and being able to easily request BN gift cards from relatives in order to buy books.

She's also plotting to meet her at BN next week so that she can flash her Nook and get a free smoothie from the cafe. *smh*

I feel like she and her friend would fit right in on various ebook forums. I find it incredible that these kids will rag on each other about ANYTHING--shoes, clothes, iPods, phones, and apparently ... eReaders.
    Currently Reading:
    A Song of Ice and Fire Series

Next up:
    The Entire Oz Series

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mr. Darcy

Default Re: Teens and eReaders

My 10 year-old stepdaughter recently got into a Facebook flaming war with one of her friends, because my girl used her Christmas money to buy a 32-gig iPod Touch. The friend was apparently jealous and was causing a huge public ruckus over it. It was...ridiculous. And uncalled for.

When I was their age, I would've been ecstatic to have anything even remotely like these electronic goodies that we're so fortunate to have now!

Honestly, there's something for everyone Not everyone wants a Nook, and that's fine with me. More bandwidth for me to exploit when I'm downloading books and other goodies! I chose it over the Kindle for a host of specific reasons (which I know you're all familiar with) and I'm very happy with my choice. The idea that the Nook (especially the NC) is second-rate is just flat out laughable!
    Currently reading... The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown (Nook Color).

Quote Originally Posted by CocoaSugarbaker
    My daughter came to me last week telling me about a disagreement she'd had with one of her friends. Apparently, her friend--who has a Kindle-- told her that her Nook was considered the "cheap" version of the Kindle, and it upset my kid.

It seems so ridiculous, but I see the same posturing and competitiveness from the forums on the internet, and all I could do was shake my head, and explain to her the differences between the two devices, and that some people count out other readers because the Kindle is considered "name brand". But just because it's not a Kindle doesn't make it a budget reader in any way. And even if it IS a budget reader, who cares if the end result means you get to keep and read all of your books in your library?

In the end, she felt better about her Nook, and bragged to her friend about being able to check books out of the library, and being able to easily request BN gift cards from relatives in order to buy books.

She's also plotting to meet her at BN next week so that she can flash her Nook and get a free smoothie from the cafe. *smh*

I feel like she and her friend would fit right in on various ebook forums. I find it incredible that these kids will rag on each other about ANYTHING--shoes, clothes, iPods, phones, and apparently ... eReaders.
    Her friend has an interesting concept, given that the Nook actually costs more.
    That aside, I agree with you 100%. They're both good devices, but kids will be kids.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

d'Artagnan

So true on the cost. I didn't want to say that and encourage boasting, bragging behavior, but it's true, the Nook is $10 more, so how is it "cheaper"?
    Kids.

She's waiting to start Hunger Games until her friend is able to get her parents to buy the book for her on Kindle, so they can read the book together. My daughter got a ton of BN gift cards for Christmas, so she doesn't have to come begging from us for quite some time for books.
    I know that you can "gift" a book and a gift certificate to Amazon, but I never realized that being able to give someone a BN gift card as a gift is easier and more of the norm than giving Amazon credit. Another plus for the Nook.
    Currently Reading:
    A Song of Ice and Fire Series

Next up:
    The Entire Oz Series

Puck

i am starting to think (been thinking it for years actually) that our kids are so spoiled. i remember that having a turntable in my room was a big deal, LOL. my brother and i would take turns, he'd have it one week, me the next. we never got to choose what to watch on TV either. no cellphones, no music players beyond the 8 track and then later the cassette. if i'd have had something like an ereader i would have keeled over.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cheap-e-Reads/163454373711210#
    http://cheapereads.blogspot.com/

Benjamin Button

Oy! These kids. Mine expect the world too. They're spoiled compared to what we grew up with. Everything is a big deal to youngsters; they haven't suffered enough to realize such arguments are petty.

I like to hold to the maxim that if you don't argue, neither can they Silence is golden.

Tom Sawyer

My DDs friend also has gotten a kindle. However they both like their e-readers for different reasons. They are just thrilled to have the e-goodies. But that is the way it is for most of the kids in her circle. My older DD just bought herself the IPOD touch 8 GB. She feels glad to have the goodies. Maybe it is because they realize how hard it is to get these things.

Puck

Quote Originally Posted by sunshinejenn03
    Her friend has an interesting concept, given that the Nook actually costs more.
    That aside, I agree with you 100%. They're both good devices, but kids will be kids.
    Yes nooks cost more and have a only a small portion of a market dominated by the Kindle. That makes them more like the Macs of the ereader market.

Being a teen is about status and pecking order. Tell your daughter to ask "why? " and make her friend back up her statement.
    www.twitter.com/decrescenzo

'The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.' - Ayn Rand

Tom Sawyer

Haha,funny.That's a childhood.