BN to discontinue 3G Nook?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    d'Artagnan

Default BN to discontinue 3G Nook?

According to Engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/24/e...cites-lack-of/

This doesn't really surprise me. Yesterday a BN representative told me that they were all out of 3G Nooks, and that it could take up to two weeks for them to be able to send us out a replacement for my daughter.

So it's probably going to be WiFi only from here on out.

I really hate to think that I bought a 3G Nook for full price last year along with a two year warranty, and that I might not be able to get it replaced if I need to one year from now.
    Currently Reading:
    A Song of Ice and Fire Series

Next up:
    The Entire Oz Series

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: BN to discontinue 3G Nook?

This was one I saw coming but I am also worried about warranties or their support for 3G. I hope they don't just stop their deal with AT&T. I figure sooner or later they will but they should leave it in place for a few years.
    www.twitter.com/decrescenzo

'The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.' - Ayn Rand

Oliver

Makes me glad I got the WiFi version. Not only saved money, but saved aggravation later.
    Fritz Stein

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

I really hope they keep the 3g going for a few years at least. I use 3g exclusively on my nook. I am on a public wifi network and haven't been able to figure out the magic of going to the web browser and accepting the terms and conditions before shopping or downloading a book. I LOVE the 3g. I dont know what I would do without it. I would exclusively sideload I guess.
    Currently reading:
    The Poisoned House - Michael Ford
    Book Challenge 2011 38 bks read of 60

12,724 Pages Read of 12,000

My Shelf Confessions

Tom Sawyer

My guess is that they are discontinuing the 3G models to make way for the newer nook classic 2 that will be 4G.

Puck

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJones
    My guess is that they are discontinuing the 3G models to make way for the newer nook classic 2 that will be 4G.
    Yeah, most likely.
    'Education consists mainly of what we have unlearned.'~Mark Twain

Tom Sawyer

Quote Originally Posted by Fireflywishes
    I really hope they keep the 3g going for a few years at least.
    Even if they discontinue the 3G model the 3G network isn't going anywhere.

JeffinNormal

3G model owner here as well and seriously, I've rarely used it. The only reason I spent the extra $$ was my impatience to actually wait until a wi-fi only model was received. But I don't regret it. I have two ways to connect if I need it and really, most of my stuff is done wi-fi, so if the 3G deal with AT&T would stop, I wouldn't really be affected. Figured I paid the premium but things change quick when it comes to technology.

Mr. Darcy

I happen to use the 3g all the time, I live out in the middle of no where and I do not have a wifi spot within 5 miles of my house. so the 3g becomes very handy over time. Just my 2 cents

Puck

Wow. I bought my nook 12 months ago when 3G was the only option (and I paid the early adopter premium). No regrets however, I love my nook and find myself reading more than ever.

It is interesting that B&N appears to be abandoning 3G for their classic as many people, myself included, use 3G exclusively to download B&N ebooks. (Many because this is the only option, or like me, are too lazy to make home WIFI connectivity work). This also concedes a selling point to the dark empire (Amazon).

It is doubtful that current 3G users have anything to worry about as B&N still advertises 3G as follows: "Or choose NOOK 3G and get anytime, anywhere access with no monthly fees." Can you spell class action lawsuit?? I'm not advocating this but we all know that someone somewhere will try.

I also wonder if this decision will put a premium on used 3G devices being sold. I'm looking at purchasing a NC in the near future (still waiting to see actual App Store & Froyo update). Maybe I'll be able to get a few extra bucks if and/or when I decide to sell.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast