cant decide

Thread: cant decide

Tiny Tim

Default cant decide

i have a "original" nook, bought last march. as soon as the nookcolor came out i wanted it. but with no reason to get rid of the awesome nook i had, i just put my want aside. well dh tells me he needs an ereader to put all his pubs from work on. i am gladly donating my nook to him. now the question has come up; what do i get? i have been patiently waiting for the ipad two to come out and now i think maybe i will go back to my orignial want a nookcolor. anyone have both and willing to talk about it? i really just want to read books and surf the web. i like ipad because of the new cameras coming out, but i do skype on my laptop, altought its a PITA.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

Default Re: cant decide

What I would do, make a list of the pros and cons, things you want from your device, things the devices may lack (for you). Place them side-by-side, for each device. Then put those pros side-by-side for the Nook Colour and the iPad and see how they match up.

This way you get a more personal idea of what you want rather than the biases of others, though people owning both devices can provide valuable input.

Question: how is your laptop a piece of flatbread?

Puck

Unless the new ipads have had some significant new changes/additions made to them..
    You'd be better off going with nook color.
    better deal by a long shot.

Cool to gift your nook to your husband.

"P.I.T.A." means "pain in the 'arse', nightgoat. lol
    'Education consists mainly of what we have unlearned.'~Mark Twain

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

the new ipad will have a camera. knowing apple, it will be front facing only so that, in 6 months to a year, they can release a new ipad with a rear facing camera too.

the nook color will be an excellent android tablet, once we get that promised update (hint hint Messieurs Barnes and Noble).

You should know that reading with the nook color, or the ipad, outdoors, is terrible. reflective glare makes it near impossible to sit in the sun and read.

Lastly, if you are dead set on a color tablet type device, you might want to wait a couple more weeks to see what HP is releasing. The two tablets that have been leaked recently should be incredible. Of course, they use webOS which, while far superior to anything out there (iOS, android, windows 7), is limited in apps due to the lack of popularity (read stupidity of the masses).

Puck

Quote Originally Posted by Crakeur
    the new ipad will have a camera. knowing apple, it will be front facing only so that, in 6 months to a year, they can release a new ipad with a rear facing camera too.

the nook color will be an excellent android tablet, once we get that promised update (hint hint Messieurs Barnes and Noble).

You should know that reading with the nook color, or the ipad, outdoors, is terrible. reflective glare makes it near impossible to sit in the sun and read.

Lastly, if you are dead set on a color tablet type device, you might want to wait a couple more weeks to see what HP is releasing. The two tablets that have been leaked recently should be incredible. Of course, they use webOS which, while far superior to anything out there (iOS, android, windows 7), is limited in apps due to the lack of popularity (read stupidity of the masses).

lol, right.

Well,
    if the only change(s) to the 'new' ipad,
    is a camera being incorporated.. (oohhh, ahhh, a camera!)
    that is simply laughable to me...
    and still not worth 1/2 of what they charge. lol

nook color, or samsung galaxy tab are far superior in every way.
    'Education consists mainly of what we have unlearned.'~Mark Twain

Tom Sawyer

agreed. I have the maxipod ipad (a work thing) and it's useless outdoors but my kids love it for the gaming.

once the color gets the updated software (hint hint again BandN) the color will be a very impressive tablet.

The necessity of a tablet varies from person to person but the ipad, in its current form, is severely limited. The galaxy tab does more and, in my eyes, has far more uses. The ipad is, probably, the most pointless of the bunch but it's apple and we all know how essential and innovative everything that comes out of apple is. I mean, seriously, did you guys know there was a band called the beatles?

Quote Originally Posted by Crakeur
    But fanboys will line up for each when they are announced. And cry like children because they got the latest gadget with a fruit on it.
    www.twitter.com/decrescenzo

'The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.' - Ayn Rand

I haven't really read on an Ipad, but I have played around with my brother's and I find it to be significantly heavier than the NC. I don't have too much problem with the weight of the NC, but sometimes in some positions it does require readjusting. The Ipad just feels too heavy to try and read on for a long period of time.

I love my NC and can't recommend it enough. I would look at the display for the new IPad will it be improved over the old IPad and if possible I would like to see the Ipad apps from the different ebook stores. For instance I love the night mode on my NC, but don't care for the night mode on Kindle for Android.

Here is a thread where people were discussing the Ipad vs NC
    https://www.nookboards.com/forum/inde...66525#msg66525