what is a Nook with Android function?

Oliver

Default what is a Nook with Android function?

I'm not very high tech, obviously. What is the android function added to some Nooks? Worth it or not?

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: what is a Nook with Android function?

Hm. I'm not sure I understand your question.

The Nook OS for both Nook models is Android, albeit a version customized by B&N, so when you are using a nook you are using Android. If you can be a bit more specific with your question perhaps we can provide a better answer.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

Oliver

I keep reading about nooks that have android tablets and you can add apps and they have been unlocked and rooted... I don't know what any of that is.
    And, is all that done after you purchase a nook or is it an option when you purchase it. Like I said, I'm not tech saavy at all.

Thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mad Hatter

Karenmr: Welcome to NOOKBOARDS.

As Michael said, the operating system for the Nook eReader (classic/original and Nook Color) is Android.

Some have referred to the Nook Color as a really reasonably priced tablet 'cause of the functionality it provides aside from eReading.

Rooting a Nook is a change the owner has to make on the device. If you aren't technically savvy, even though there is the means to 'auto' root an NC, I might offer that if you do it that you get somebody you know who is somewhat more geeky to work with you.

So, what are you looking to do on a Nook aside from eReading?

Donna

Oliver

I'd probably check my email occsionally and I usually do a bit of research when I read, especially if I'm reading a historical novel. I have a laptop but i hate lugging it around. What does rooting allow you to do that you can't do without rooting?

I have a friend selling a NC with all the above "stuff". I'm a little leary. I was ready to buy at B&N until she approached me.

Puck

Well the Stock Nook Color fits many people's needs already. As has a decent web browser for web browsing and email. A couple of games.

A Rooted Nook adds a lot more functionality as a android tablet. Not only do you still have all the regular menu's and functions of the Nook. But can install additional applications. Like on mine I have Google Street Maps,Dolphin HD Browser,Google Earth,Weather 3 different e-reader programs including the default B&N reader program. Have additional pdf readers to give me more functions that are missing in the nook reader for pdf's. Like last read,bookmarks,annotating,etc. Also a zillion of time wasting addicting games like Angry Birds,Paper Toss,etc..
    Also can add a calendar,Notepad,Weather,etc.. I can also install the Kindle reader and buy kindle books if I chose so.

So it is a Nook Color + with customizing and a lot more application choices.

Oliver

OK, thanks everyone for your help. Who would have ever thought that the simple pleasure of reading would evolve as such!

Karen

Puck

True but the pleasure of reading was generally and still is for a lot of people a at home solitary quite unwind time.
    So I imagine the majority it is just that reading mainly at home.

But unfortunately for many they are constantly on the go. And just reading doesn't quite get them there.
    Waiting in an airport,bus terminal may want to update their friends with their flight status,check hotel reservations.
    Kill time reading their favorits blogs,sites, Check in to facebook,myspace,twitter and all that. And varying stresses of a hectic life needs for brainless entertainment like movies,games,music,etc.. to soothe the savage stress.

And additionally trying to minimize there load of additional weights of books,magazines,laptop,netbook,gameboy,etc...
    As a full android tablet can get them close to a no need for a dedicated laptop or computer.

Personally even tho mine is rooted it still is mainly a great reader of books. And keeps me reading 85% of the time.
    The other is when I'm not really into reading and want less cerebral pastimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Karenmr
    I'd probably check my email occsionally and I usually do a bit of research when I read, especially if I'm reading a historical novel.
    You can do all of that now, with a Nook Color right out of the box. No need to root.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin