Am I missing something?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mr. Darcy

Default Am I missing something?

I have been a Kindle user for over two years. I just got my Nook this Christmas. Love them both, but I got my Nook with the express purpose to be able to download library books.

It is an extremely difficult task!!! Whenever I head over to the few sights I have to try and download books, they do not have what I want!! What is the deal? Do libraries not have a great assortment of e-books? Are certain libraries better than others? Since December I have ordered a whopping 2 books to download from libraries, and never actually downloaded them because either it took too long (to get them to download), or I had read them already in a different format.

I am thinking my Nook is going to become obsolete because I can't find any free library e-books to download!!

Any ideas?
    Check out my blog www.lizhubbs.blogspot.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

Default Re: Am I missing something?

You may want to check out one of the library threads that we have on here (I am short on time, or I would hunt them down and add links). I use 3 different libraries - my local one, one in Pittsburgh, and one in Florida. I typically download several library books each week, and I always go through and see what new books have been added that I want to place a hold on. Most of the authors that I have searched on have been available, and new books are continually added. I haven't had any problems downloading - ADE (Adobe Digital Editions) downloads them in a flash. There are some helpful threads out there on using ADE, as well.

I would encourage you to keep trying the library, and feel free to ask us any questions. I know that A LOT of us Nookboarders use the library feature and absolutely love it. Best of luck!
    Currently Reading: Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris
    Just finished: House of Night series

Puck

The Philadelphia Free Library has an excellent selection, as does the Chicago Public Library (which I don't think is open to non-residents).

Instead of searching for specific titles you wish to read, consider browsing instead. I check the newly added titles weekly, and if something looks good I add it to my wishlist. I keep one or two titles on my hold list, and when I those are available to read I download them and add another from my wishlist. I have more than 100 books on my wishlists from both PFL and CPL, and I always have at least one library book that I am reading, in addition to one or more books I own.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

d'Artagnan

Yes. When you bought your Nook for reading library books on it exclusively, did you see what kind of selection of books your library offered?

Just as with paper books, the selection of ebooks varies from library to library, and the robustness of the selection of books depends on what kind of funding your library receives.

For me, I live in California and the library of my city is broke and canceled their ebook subscription because no one ever used it, and they couldn't justify the costs. Luckily, I can join other libraries in my state with a valid California drivers license or military ID, and proof of residency. I also hold library accounts in Maryland, and I share library accounts with friends who live in New York and Virginia.

I would suggest checking if you can join other library counties in your state. Some might let you join for free, others for a nominal fee. Someone already suggested the Philadelphia Public Library, which you can join for $15 a year.

As for sideloading the books, once you create an account with Adobe and download the software onto your computer, it should be relatively simple to get your books sideloaded onto your Nook.

Also, obsolete will never apply to the Nook as long as it's able to power up and read books. At the end of the day, it's just as much of an ereader as a Kindle with the EXACT same technology, and it does what it's supposed to do.
    Currently Reading:
    A Song of Ice and Fire Series

Next up:
    The Entire Oz Series

Mr. Darcy

My library is great. I use arapahoe county libraries in Colorado. Usually I have to ask them to purchase the ebooks I want to read, because they hardly have any Christian fiction. Which they will do for free, as long as overdrive carries it. Using a computer and Adobe Digital Addition (ADE) it is very easy to download books from the library. Do a search on ADE or public library and you should get all the info you need.
    Tracy<><

The Alachua County library has a pretty good selection and it's free for ecard members.
    The Free Library of Philadelphia was a great investment for me....I've already placed a ton of books on hold, wishlisted others, etc. The yearly membership of $15 was well worth it.
    I also have a membership to the Maryland Library Consortium and the Fairfax County Library here in Virginia. They have okay selections...not great, not bad.

Oliver

I think the lending of e-books is pretty new, so libraries are just starting to "purchase" titles to lend. I know that my 2 local libraries just started lending e-books a few months ago and they add titles all the time. So hopefully your local library will have some decent books soon!

Quote Originally Posted by amastel
    I think the lending of e-books is pretty new, so libraries are just starting to "purchase" titles to lend. I know that my 2 local libraries just started lending e-books a few months ago and they add titles all the time. So hopefully your local library will have some decent books soon!

Welcome to the boards, amastel!

Tom Sawyer

I definitely use the library a decent amount (the Maryland library consortium, and Prince George's county, which isn't a member of the consortium, and often has more books...go figure). The thing that baffles me is when they have some books in a series and not others. Now I can understand if the earlier ones came out before they started getting ebooks, and so they've just gotten the newer ones as they came out. In those cases I have to get the dead tree version from the library, and then I can continue with the e-version. However, I was recently looking at a series where all three came out in 2010, and the library only had the 2nd in the series available on Overdrive. Who only wants the 2nd in a series?!!

I do at times get frustrated that they don't have things I want, but its led me to discover some other authors I wouldn't have noticed if I wasn't poking around looking for something to read.

Mr. Darcy

I'm in a similar situation, except that my problem is Adobe Digital Editions. It is crappy software.
    Yep, I'm one of THOSE people..I have a Nook, a Kindle and an iPad..I'm sick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast