my NC is charging

d'Artagnan

Default my NC is charging

And I can't wait to start playing with it!! I am waiting very patiently for it get a good charge on it so I can mess around a lot. I am trying two magazines (fit living and NatGeo) while I wait to hear back from the magazine people about my current subscriptions. I want to cancel the real
    magazine delivery and move it over to being digital *fingers crossed* So, the first thing I noticed is that the demos don't do the real thing justice. It's as if they are limited in what they can do or maybe it's because my NC is linked to my account so it automatically has my stuff on it already.
    And, not only did I get a NC but I was given $ to use as well! I was VERY surprised about that!!! The kids picked out a basic chocolate brown book like cover with clips for the NC so that is what it is wearing for now. I'm sure it will 'need' something else as well before too long. Tomorrow I'll get a screen protector. I'm hoping to convince the SO to wait until after the update before he roots it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

Default Re: my NC is charging

congrats on your new baby entering the world. I hope you enjoy. Feel free to ask any questions.

Yes your books will sync and download from you bn account as soon as you go wifi. If not hit the sync button the bottom of the library(the double arrows).
    So ready for this to be the end, for this to be the twilight of your life, though your life has barely started. You’re ready to give up everything. - Edward Cullen

Mad Hatter

Hi nookreader654: I was just wondering if you got your NC... Great news and happy (belated now) birthday!

Donna

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

and.................<holding breath>....................<turning blue>............................<passing out>............................

d'Artagnan

And... it's quite anti-climactic The web browser is better than trying to use the nook browser but not as useful as my phone. Sudoku is the same on both nooks. While actually reading a book the NC is ok but the nook is better. Finding a book on the NC is a JOKE! What the @#$% were they thinking when they designed _that_?!?!? What I do is go to my nook, find what I want, go to the NC, type in the name I need to find, and THEN do what I need to do. The NC seems pretty confused about the concept of archive, download, etc. I did finally realize that the books listed on the NC are the same as my online libary (which is also a pain to navigate through).
    There really isn't anything else to do with the NC yet. I am in the process of getting my magazines and journals digitized so I can use the NC for the primary reason I wanted it. I have two magazines so far and both of them work perfectly on the NC (thus demonstrating that the nook is the best ereader and the NC is the best periodical reader). I do have about 12 kids books set up so the kids can use it. The battery definitely lasts longer than I thought it would *phew* and reading on the lcd screen is really not a problem once I set it up with a grey background, turned the backlight WAY down and changed the font (which caused the dang device to freeze, good thing I was in a BN at that time. I handed it to the nook guru and he fixed it ) I love the landscape mode for reading magazines and using the browser. Oh, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE Pandora
    I will keep it as is until the update and then probably have the SO root it. It really needs a way to take notes and angry birds and maybe a word processor and maybe a pda and...

I'm wondering if we both own the same device!

I find the way NC does books is a whole lot better than the classic nook. Navigation is a breeze. Never yet a problem with the B&N store on the NC. There is no confusion about archive, downloads etc. I think perhaps you need to take the time to read the users manual and learn how to use the device the way it was intended. I admit that it is a lot more useful as a rooted system but up until this week I have found the NC a great device as it comes from the factory without rooting.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

d'Artagnan

Quote Originally Posted by Ktrek
    I'm wondering if we both own the same device!

I find the way NC does books is a whole lot better than the classic nook. Navigation is a breeze. Never yet a problem with the B&N store on the NC. There is no confusion about archive, downloads etc. I think perhaps you need to take the time to read the users manual and learn how to use the device the way it was intended. I admit that it is a lot more useful as a rooted system but up until this week I have found the NC a great device as it comes from the factory without rooting.

Kevin
    I read the entire manual first thing (well, _first_ I let it charge completely and THEN I read the manual) I spent a lot of time yesterday really trying to figure out how 'my library' is organized and I think I have that figured out. It seems that it matches my online library for the most part which is not at all how I have my nook set up, so that explains _that_ confusion. Of course when I set up my nook I had about 200 books total and now I'm up to just over 600 so it is a bit more complicated to get the NC 'just right' I'm working on it... Plus the NC seems to have a default setting I haven't
    found how to change so that it keeps resetting itself back to a format that I hate (shows covers).

Another thing that continues to baffle me is how the NC seems to randomly move things. For example, I have a kids book listed on the 'kids' shelf and it is archived. It will periodically show up on my home page, sometimes listed as a magazine. It has unarchived itself once. It was a freebie that came with the NC. I haven't even opened the book since I got the NC. I saw it, moved it to the kids shelf and then archived it. It just wanders around the NC

I know one huge problem for me is that I am NOT a gui person. I am very very text based. The NC has a lot more graphics and 'windows' like
    interaction than I am used to. On my computer I have as much as possible set it to be very text based (no microsoft for me!) so when my NC decides to show me covers or to arrange my books with pictures (it keeps taking it out of list format and putting it into show covers format, I think it's a default setting) I get confused and have sensory overload.

I spent more time messing with the web browser today and figured out how to make it useful. I turn it sideways Just to prove it made sense I
    used it to order a new charger cable for the NC so I can charge it in the car. Not that I think I'm going to need it much. I charged it the day I got it, have used it for at least 2 hours a day since then and it is STILL at about 35%. Good battery!!!

And I continue to love it for what I bought it for, to read magazines. I just heard back from two of my magazines and they have allowed me to
    switch to a digital edition without a hassle *huge grin* And I started another new subscription, so I'm up to five magazines as of today.

Puck

I can't believe I held my breath for 26 hours for this Definitely anticlimactic I also don't understand...NC navigation seems much more intuitive to me, oh well.

d'Artagnan

So I spent more time messing with it and it is getting more obvious to me. I am just not graphically oriented. It also didn't help that it apparently was 'stuck' in some weird mode and wasn't allowing me to do some things that seemed obvious to me. I went to a BN today and checked with a clerk. He confirmed that what I wanted to do _should_ work, pointed out that it was stuck, I turned it off and back on and TA DA a whole bunch of features suddenly made a lot more sense I really like reading magazines on it and its web browser is definitely better than on the nook. I also spent about an hour just reading a book on it to try that out and it is ok. Had I never owned a nook I would be in love with reading on the NC. It is also a LOT more complex than I realized so I can absolutely understand how it is going to be an awesome tablet once it gets rooted.

One advantage of rooting is that you can use other browsers. The most frustrating thing to me about the nook browser is having to scroll all the way back up to the top just to use the go back function. I hate that! I using the Dolphin browser on my rooted NC and it is an improvement but I may try Opera or some other just to compare and decide which I like the best. Whenever you open the web browser the rooted nook asks you which browser you want to use so the original browser is still available.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE