The Curse of "Network Unavailable" or "Error c6120"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Oliver

Default The Curse of "Network Unavailable" or "Error c6120"

I bought the classic, WiFi-only NOOK six months ago, and very few material acquisitions in life have brought me this much gladness as this did. But, about five days ago, something strange started happening. If I wanted to Shop, or try to read "the daily," or use the web browser, or download anything new, I would get the error message "Network Unavailable." The Nook is connected to my WiFi, but it cannot grab any content from the Internet.

However, if I connect through my neighbor's WiFi, then my Nook can and does grab content from the Internet.

So, is my WiFi broken? That is hard to accept. We have one desktop computer (the one I am on right now), two laptops, and one smartphone in this household -- all different brands -- that are using the WiFi without a hitch.

I researched this on the Internet for hours, and tried many remedies (I can list them out, if anyone asks), but nothing worked.

Then, I spent over five hours on the phone with BN Support yesterday and today. They had me tweak my settings on the Nook, and then my home WiFi settings for ever and ever (until, at point, it was broken . . . I needed to call NetGear to re-set it). Finally, they suggested that they restore it to "factory default."

That takes time. But, I did that. Wiped it clean. Re-birth. Then, I tried to register my Nook. It refuses to register, with "Error c6120" (which, in essence, is a connectivity error).

I hopped on to my my neighbor's WiFi, and then, I could register easily. (All my "shelves" are gone though.)

Today, BN Support agreed to send me a replacement. And, I am VERY appreciative that they offered that. But, you know what? There is no reason why the new device will not behave exactly the same way. Why do I say this? Because, I think, the problem lies with Nook's software, which makes it unable to read some (but, not all) specific DNS servers.

Where did I get this idea? Read this -- a diagnosis from a technician: http://j.mp/f6NM9a .

Anyhow, I will await and see how the replacement Nook does.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mowgli

Default Re: The Curse of "Network Unavailable" or "Error c6120"

I am having the very same issue, but since it was with a free book I didn't want to complain. However, because of this I have not purchased a book for fear of having the same problem, and have been using my 3G/wi-fi Nook exclusively for library books.

At least now I know it's not just me, but I'm not sure I want to devote a ton of time to a CS call that netted you no results except for the promise of a new device (which may or may not work either).

Oliver

I have downloaded over twenty free Nookbooks. Even earlier today, using my neighbor's unsecured WiFi, I downloaded a free Nookbook. A part of the fun of having the Nook is being able to get them.

BTW, the replacement unit they are sending me is a "new certified pre-owned" device.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Keep us updated, that's an interesting predicament, to say the least. I'm curious what the outcome will be. Good luck!

Somewhere else on this site someone posted that they resolved this issue, or one similar, by opening a port on their router. What security setting are you using and have you tried taking off the security, momentarily, to see if you can connect through your router? If you can then you know the problem lies with your router and not with the nook. If you are using WEP try changing to WAP2 and see if you have the same issue.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

Oliver

I had tried all of the following:

• No Security
    • WEP
    • WPA-PSK [TKIP]
    • WPA2-PSK [AES]

None worked.

But, as is my luck, the day after BN Customer Support makes arrangement to send me the "new, certified, pre-owned" replacement, my NOOK decides to start behaving itself!

And, since the last time I used it, no change had been made to it, except that the unit had not been used for about 16 hours. (It was just on "sleep.") The problem had appeared on its own, out of the blue. And, again, it left on its own.

While I am happy that it has gone, I have three reasons to be anxious. I don't know what to tell BN Customer Support now; this almost makes me look like I made up all of this!

Second, when the replacment unit arrives, which one do I keep? Finally, since this problem appeared (and departed) without any apparent reason (having confounded me and BN Customer Support), who knows when it will return.

My best guess still remains that there is something about the way Clear Communications (my ISP) sends its information regarding the DNS, which the NOOK cannot fathom from time to time. And, since this information can be dynamic (meaning, it can change), when Clear Comm sends information in a way that the NOOK can digest, all is well again.

Of all the electronic gadgets I have at home, clearly, NOOK is the baby! It can only digest pureed food.

Actually these kind of problems are usually a battery issue and 9 times out of ten correct themselves after the unit is fully charged and rebooted again. I would keep the one they are sending to replace it and attach a note that it has sporadic trouble connecting to the internet via wifi. Be sure you check the replacement thoroughly before unregistering and resetting it back to factory though.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

Oliver

@javacafe, that's very interesting that you wrote: "BTW, the replacement unit they are sending me is a "new certified pre-owned" device." I've wondered myself about this. I've had three nooks; two of them sent to me by B&n as replacements. My first ever nook developed a crack in its frame. The second one had a line down the middle of the screen. I tried fiddling with the battery, called tech support, nothing helped. On to the third nook which has now developed wi fi connectivity issues, but that's a whole other story . . . anyway, i've wondered if the second and third nook were pre-owns. B&N was certainly willing and quick to offer to send replacements, which I appreciated at the time, but now that I think about it, there's always a catch!

Do you mind if I ask, how do you know they're certified pre-owns? When I told my husband about my suspicion he dismissed the whole thing "Oh, no they wouldn't do that."

d'Artagnan

"Oh, no they wouldn't do that."

Yes, they do actually. Rarely have they sent out a new replacement.
    Mine was replaced recently with a refurb and it has been fine.
    Still wish I had the original as in the end I don't think anything was really wrong with it.
    The refurb works great tho.
    MikFinkel

Quote Originally Posted by meewow
    @javacafe, that's very interesting that you wrote: "BTW, the replacement unit they are sending me is a "new certified pre-owned" device." I've wondered myself about this. I've had three nooks; two of them sent to me by B&n as replacements. My first ever nook developed a crack in its frame. The second one had a line down the middle of the screen. I tried fiddling with the battery, called tech support, nothing helped. On to the third nook which has now developed wi fi connectivity issues, but that's a whole other story . . . anyway, i've wondered if the second and third nook were pre-owns. B&N was certainly willing and quick to offer to send replacements, which I appreciated at the time, but now that I think about it, there's always a catch!

Do you mind if I ask, how do you know they're certified pre-owns? When I told my husband about my suspicion he dismissed the whole thing "Oh, no they wouldn't do that."
    It depends on when you purchased and what their stock looks like, whether you receive a new or a CPO Nook. My first replacement was brand new, in original packaging and everything. The second replacement came in a CPO box. You'll be able to tell the difference. I bought my Nook July 1st of last year and received warranty replacements in September (eink spots on screen) and January (bad charging port), respectively.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast