Can any of you read your NOOKcolor outside? I'm considering upgrading.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tiny Tim

Default Can any of you read your NOOKcolor outside? I'm considering upgrading.

Here's my dilemma --> I have a Nook 3G and LOVE it. Zero complaints. However the 3G recently became defective and BN couldn't fix it. They were so nice to give me a brand new one in the box. So there it sits UNOPENED with receipt in my hand and I all of a sudden have this bright idea that maybe I could pay the $50 and upgrade to the NookColor.
    My problem is that I do read alot outside, whether lounging by the pool or sitting at my kids' baseball games/practices, etc. I would say I'm 50/50 with my time reading my nook indoors v. outdoors.

Are the perks of the NOOKcolor worth the possible loss of reading outdoors?

Any insight in appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: Can any of you read your NOOKcolor outside? I'm considering upgrading.

The nook color is readable outside, but as much as I love my nook color( ) if I was going to be reading for a significant amount of time outside I would use my Classic nook. I have tested my NC with full sun shining directly on the screen and could still read it as long as the brightness was turned all the way up. But I could also see my reflection and it was kind of annoying. It isn't near as bad if you are reading under an umbrella or in shade. Turning the brightness all the way up drains the battery, but if you don't read for more than a couple of hours a day then it probably won't matter.There are anti-glare screens, but I haven't used one.

As far as perks the NC is much faster than the classic, when waking up and turning pages, but to me the real bonus comes from the touch screen. I was amazed at how much easier navigating is on the NC. I have almost 500 books on the Color and I have no problem getting to the book I want. I would never put that many books on my classic it is just too slow and too difficult to organize. The Color also makes highlighting and note-taking a breeze if you read a lot of non-fiction and it is easy to find your highlights and notes. But no 3G means that you can't just download a book white at the ball field. I hope this rambling post has been helpful. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Tiny Tim

Default Re: Can any of you read your NOOKcolor outside? I'm considering upgrading.

This is SO helpful! Thank you!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tiny Tim

I have a Nook Color and love the flexibility of it, but I wouldn't be happy reading it outside except perhaps in very deep shade. Too sensitive to reflections!

Tiny Tim

Thank you HC! Very helpful!

Mowgli

I do not believe the Nook Color best meets your needs if you read outside 50% of the time.

d'Artagnan

I sit outside in my truck waiting for my kids to get out of school every day. In order to read my NC I have position it just right, put the sun shade up to block the light and/or adjust the brightness (which drains the battery quickly). In order to read my 3g in the exact same spot all I have to do is turn it on Plus, the NC is wifi only. I am rapidly losing track of how annoying this is! Yesterday I turned on my 3g and it told me I had a new edition of a magazine waiting. I eagerly flipped open my NC and turned on wifi. Huh, apparently there are places that SAY 'free wifi' but won't allow the NC to connect to anything but their website. I tried for 1/2 hour and got a clerk to help and we never figured out how to get it to allow me to get to my magazine. It refused to allow me to log in and accept their terms. I know I have used the same wifi spot with my laptop. I have also found that the wifi connectivity is weaker with my NC. I can sit in a store (BN comes to mind) and turn on both devices. The 3g will show excellent connectivity and the NC will show less than excellent. This seems to be consistently the case, so it's not like the problem comes and goes. As much as I like my NC I can't get rid of my 3g! EVER!

Tiny Tim

Ironically, before the NC you could never read any LCD screen device outdoors; a la iPad, Pandigital, et al. The reflected sunlight would burn a hole through your skull, kill birds and down aeroplanes. But now that we have the Nook Colour it's all hunky-dory-okay to read outside. In fact, it's friggin incredible!

I have used my nook color outdoors but it certainly is less than "ideal" conditions. It's close to impossible to read with direct sunlight on the screen but in shaded areas I have no problems whatsoever. So if you are a beach lover then you might consider keeping your classic nook but if you want more flexibility as to what you can do with your ereader than I say sell the classic nook and get yourself a color because in my opinion it is a whole lot more useful.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

Quote Originally Posted by JerkyTreat
    Ironically, before the NC you could never read any LCD screen device outdoors; a la iPad, Pandigital, et al. The reflected sunlight would burn a hole through your skull, kill birds and down aeroplanes. But now that we have the Nook Colour it's all hunky-dory-okay to read outside. In fact, it's friggin incredible!
    Actually I can't use most LCD devices outside. Even in the car I have a hard time using my laptop on a sunny day, the same is true of the lcd of the classic. I believe the reason the lcd on the Nook color is readable is simply because it gets brighter than most other devices. It definitely gets brighter than my laptop. Still for significant outdoor reading the classic is a better bet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast