Autographed eBooks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tom Sawyer

Default Autographed eBooks

Since the number of actual books sold is declining each year, and the number of ebooks tripling each year, the need for in store book signings seems like a pointless exercise. Well, it seems that someone was looking out for the authors and their chance to meet and greet their fans.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/15/e...line-in-every/

With this new system, you can have the author digitally autograph your ebook. Not sure how it well it works or whether it's worth it since, at some point, you will wind up removing the book from your collection and it does not make your ebook more valuable as an asset that can be sold or as a nifty shelf display item but, still, a cool concept nonetheless.

Additional Source Material:
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/15/e...line-in-every/

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mr. Darcy

Default Re: Autographed eBooks

it does not make your ebook more valuable as an asset that can be sold
    Obviously I cannot speak for anyone else, but I have a collection of signed paper books, but never thought about selling them. Getting a signature was really more about meeting the author than anything else and the signature itself was a sort of "photographic memory" of the experience.

Still the concept of a "signed" eBook is interesting ...

Tom Sawyer

Quote Originally Posted by miksons
    Obviously I cannot speak for anyone else, but I have a collection of signed paper books, but never thought about selling them. Getting a signature was really more about meeting the author than anything else and the signature itself was a sort of "photographic memory" of the experience.

Still the concept of a "signed" eBook is interesting ...
    What miksons said. For me, getting an autographed book is more about the experience of meeting the author but I understand there are a lot of people selling autographed books on places like ebay. I think autographing an ebook is a pretty cool idea.
    Accomplished in Murder ~ Victorian Mystery

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

I certainly didn't mean to imply that having the signed books was pointless, jus that the signed ebook seemed a bit less worthwhile. Meeting the author is a cool experience for sure. I have a small collection of signed books, mostly stuff I bought that was signed at a book signing that I didn't go to. I'm not the type of person to sit on line for an autograph but I totally understand how others would do it.

Puck

I've had quite a few booksignings, and I've never had much of a line of readers waiting for my autograph. However, I've done well, and speaking from the viewpoint of an author, I am always humbled and totally blown away when people stop at my table for a book. I feel the same way about fan mail. I am honored beyond description when someone I've never met takes the time to write to me.

Thank you readers. Without you, we authors would be nothing.
    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/books/product.aspx?ean=2940011835407

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/books/product.aspx?ean=2940011822049

Tom Sawyer

Quote Originally Posted by bobavey
    I feel the same way about fan mail. I am honored beyond description when someone I've never met takes the time to write to me.
    No stalkers yet?

I'm kidding, of course. I think it's great when celebrities of any arena take the time to acknowledge their fans. When I was a kid, I was tasked with writing a reserach paper and I chose to write about Stephen King. I don't recall the thrust of the paper but it was about him and his books and I wrote a letter to him, seeking information that couldn't be found in the various places (at the time, this meant scouring microfiche for interviews).

I wound up switching the topic as he never got back to me and the information I could find wasn't of any use but, several months later, I received a notecard with a short but very grateful note, typed by the man himself (had to be him - too many mistakes and whiteouts (go on kids, look up white out) for a secretary). He seemed perplexed that a kid ( I was in 9th or 10th grade) my age was writing a paper of this sort about someone as not essential as himself.

If only I still had that note. It was the coolest thing in the world to me, at the time.

Mr. Darcy

Quote Originally Posted by Crakeur
    No stalkers yet?

I'm kidding, of course. I think it's great when celebrities of any arena take the time to acknowledge their fans. When I was a kid, I was tasked with writing a reserach paper and I chose to write about Stephen King. I don't recall the thrust of the paper but it was about him and his books and I wrote a letter to him, seeking information that couldn't be found in the various places (at the time, this meant scouring microfiche for interviews).

I wound up switching the topic as he never got back to me and the information I could find wasn't of any use but, several months later, I received a notecard with a short but very grateful note, typed by the man himself (had to be him - too many mistakes and whiteouts (go on kids, look up white out) for a secretary). He seemed perplexed that a kid ( I was in 9th or 10th grade) my age was writing a paper of this sort about someone as not essential as himself.

If only I still had that note. It was the coolest thing in the world to me, at the time.
    Stephen King seems very down to earth to me. He came into my store twice when I worked in FL. One of my coworkers told me that he would randomly sign some of his books and put them back on the shelf.
    Currently reading:
    Poison by Sara Poole

Tom Sawyer

He always comes across as somewhat in awe of the his celebrity.

Quote Originally Posted by CAFlanny
    Stephen King seems very down to earth to me. He came into my store twice when I worked in FL. One of my coworkers told me that he would randomly sign some of his books and put them back on the shelf.
    So he defaced store property without paying for it? I would have him arrested.

An aside, I've never been an autograph hound. Whenever I see celebrities I always see people making fools of themselves. I don't approach them. What do I say, if they make eye contact, I might make a comment or just say hello. I never got the awe that people get over someone famous. My wife reads the trash magazines that talk about celebrities. I don't know why I should care about their private life, they don't care about mine.
    www.twitter.com/decrescenzo

'The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.' - Ayn Rand

Tom Sawyer

Quote Originally Posted by CAFlanny
    There used to be a Waldenbooks in North Conway, New Hampshire where you could almost always find a handful of books with his autograph if you dug keep enough. Of course it helped that North Conway is only a few towns away from his Lovell, Maine home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast