New nook? - Page 11

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: New nook?

Default Re: New nook?

Quote Originally Posted by Meemo
    Not to mention Kindle - assuming Kobo & B&N have done the touch screen right, I predict a touch screen Kindle by fall.
    I think it will certainly be interesting to see if Amazon will do away with their keyboard.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

d'Artagnan

Quote Originally Posted by turtlenook
    I originally thought that too. But then I realized, sometimes I don't take my nook with me, because it doesn't fit in my purse and I don't want to leave it in the car. Okay I can see how you don't have that problem Dbeman. And although, a new purse is cheaper than a Simple Touch (I'm not a name brand shopper as purses go), it actually may give people more options are far as general portability goes.

Is Nook friends, a facebook thing?
    The new nook will be close enough to the same size as the original nook that it won't change it's portability in that respect. Personally, I'd suggest you get a new purse and keep your nook with you at all times. I ended up getting a new backpack/purse thing from REI so I could keep my NC and 3g with me at all times
    I know that the nook friends thing syncs to facebook but I don't know if it's exclusively facebook. The NC has that (or it's coming or something) as well. I don't use it but I know there is a way to hook to twitter or facebook or google or whatever. I just had my SO connect my NC to my home email.

d'Artagnan

Quote Originally Posted by Codefox
    Actually, Sony has had touch screens much longer than a year. At least since 2009 with the PRS-600.
    The 700 back in 2008. But I believe this infrared technology for the technology was new in 2010. The older touch Sony's were more like "push" readers than "touch". The infrared touch screens don't actually require touching the screen at all, just breaking the infrared plane.
    em
    Kindling since August 2008, Kindle Fire, K$79; Nook Color w/N2A card; iPad 1

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

d'Artagnan

Quote Originally Posted by cmessmore
    I just pre-ordered the Simple Touch. I was hooked on the battery life! I never use the 3G on my Nook Color, and keep the wifi turned off to conserve battery... of course then its not synced with last page read when I am someplace and use my Droid Nook app... irritates me to have to thumb thru to the right page.
    Just a point of information, that predicted battery life is based on 1/2 hour of reading per day, so it's definitely a YMMV thing (of course battery life always is, but it's good to know what it's based on).
    em
    Kindling since August 2008, Kindle Fire, K$79; Nook Color w/N2A card; iPad 1

Tom Sawyer

Quote Originally Posted by Meemo
    Just a point of information, that predicted battery life is based on 1/2 hour of reading per day, so it's definitely a YMMV thing (of course battery life always is, but it's good to know what it's based on).
    Just out of curiosity, where is that spec coming from? I can't find it on the nook site, yet this is the second time I've seen mention of it (the other was on a blog). Is there any kind of number-of-page-turns estimate as well, like the kobo has?

d'Artagnan

Quote Originally Posted by pelespen
    Just out of curiosity, where is that spec coming from? I can't find it on the nook site, yet this is the second time I've seen mention of it (the other was on a blog). Is there any kind of number-of-page-turns estimate as well, like the kobo has?
    BN says it's based on page turns/hours, actually:

With WiFi disabled on both devices, B&N says it managed 150 hours on the new Nook when turning a page every minute. The current-gen Kindle, meanwhile, petered out after 56.
    We've also done a continuous page turn test and at one page turn per second, the All-New NOOK offers more than 25,000 continuous page turns on a single charge.
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/25/b...calls-out-kin/
    Currently Reading:
    A Song of Ice and Fire Series

Next up:
    The Entire Oz Series

Tom Sawyer

Thanks CocoaSugarbaker - good to know! I'm really eying both the kobo and the nook so actual figures is more than helpful!

A half hour of reading a day is simply an unreasonable test; those page turns engadget did are more accurate. But at least the battery is now capable of going at least 3 weeks or more between charges. This is a huge improvement, in my opinion, over the 1st gen. Nook, which B&N claimed completely unreasonable battery usage stats for.

Based on what I have read so far, except for the square size, this 2nd gen. Nook answers all of the complaints I had about the 1st gen.

Regards,
    Michael
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

d'Artagnan

Quote Originally Posted by Klaatu
    A half hour of reading a day is simply an unreasonable test; those page turns engadget did are more accurate. But at least the battery is now capable of going at least 3 weeks or more between charges. This is a huge improvement, in my opinion, over the 1st gen. Nook, which B&N claimed completely unreasonable battery usage stats for.

Based on what I have read so far, except for the square size, this 2nd gen. Nook answers all of the complaints I had about the 1st gen.

Regards,
    Michael
    Engadget didn't do the tests, BN did. They released a statement to Engadget and other tech media after Amazon went and changed the battery stats on the K3 to match the new Nook. BN provided battery life based on page turns and hours. Amazon has not countered again, as far as I know.

Seriously. One month, two months, it really doesn't matter to me. If you're annoyed having to charge a device once per month, then you probably shouldn't have an ereader to begin with. But I understand why BN is putting so much emphasis on it--Amazon and Kindle users by extension were downright fanatical sometimes about battery usage. One less thing they have to crow about, I suppose.
    Currently Reading:
    A Song of Ice and Fire Series

Next up:
    The Entire Oz Series

Ah, so it is. I kind of missed the quotes. Heh.

At any rate I'm still glad to see B&N really improving the time this Nook needs between charges.

Regards,
    Michael
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast