New nook?

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New nook?

Puck

Default New nook?

Does anyone know anything about the "new" e-reader B&N is announcing later this month? Have there been any leaks?

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/bar...-24-2011-05-04

Is it a Mirasol touch screen, with 3G...ok, a girl can dream, right?

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mowgli

Default Re: New nook?

Interesting. I hope it's not just a new reader's tablet, because the Color is less than six months old. Upgrading that already seems like overkill. It would make more sense to me to update the Classic, since that's been out for nearly two years, and if we assume the device won't be on sale the moment's it's announced, it probably will be two years. Plus, doesn't Kindle come out with something knew approximately every two years?

If it's not a Nook Classic 2, it would be nice if B&N did something like their own version of the DX. People who read a lot of PDFs but don't want the LCD might really like that. Or something that does both eink and color somehow.

Puck

Quote Originally Posted by PFMdg
    Does anyone know anything about the "new" e-reader B&N is announcing later this month? Have there been any leaks?

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/bar...-24-2011-05-04

Is it a Mirasol touch screen, with 3G...ok, a girl can dream, right?

Oooh! Hmmm. Thanks for posting this! Just before I got a Sony 950 too... so maybe now I'll sit back and see what BN is bringing to the table! Just in case it is something I'd like better.

Actually, there is a new product that I think BN could bring to the table and be quite successful with. I think there is a growing market for an inexpensive KIDS reader/tablet. One with parental controls and perhaps its own separate ebook store, so parents don't have to worry about their children seeing the dubious covers and titles of the many erotic and romance novels out there. So maybe an LCD color reader for children?

I mean, why not? Hook a generation of younger readers into your books and system... and maybe they don't all grow up and go buy Kindles! I keep thinking BN is missing a beat by NOT doing this, since it's something that Amazon isn't currently offering. I keep seeing parents who are interested in or actually giving their kids e-readers, but with legitimate concerns about content the kids might inadvertently see.

Of course, *I'm* hoping it's a cool new e-ink reader... either color of some sort, or Pearl with touchscreen. Hopefully with great battery life! Also hopefully with ONE combined library finally!

Oh man, waiting is going to be MURDER!

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Graycyn, I agree about the kids readers, but not over the top like a VTech. Something nice looking but slightly more durable. I looked for something for my daughter for a while before I got a deal on the Literati. She loves it but the battery life is aweful. What I did for her as far as a parental control was create an account on Kobo for her but not link a credit card to it. When she wants a book I buy it from my account and gift it to her. Then, since she has an account, she can download it directly to her Literati.
    www.twitter.com/decrescenzo

'The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.' - Ayn Rand

Oliver

If this new e-reader is going to better than the current nook color I will be upset. In March I bought 2 nook colors, one for me and one for my wife. There will be no way I would be allowed to upgrade already.

d'Artagnan

Unless this is a 9 or 10 inch tablet reader, there really isn't much they can do to upgrade the Nookcolor at the moment. As it is, the internals are solid, it's well built, and it has one (if not the) of the best screens on the market today. The cult following/modding community support for the NC is unreal, and I think BN knows this, and wouldn't do anything to piss off their core base of customers right now.
    And all for a very affordable price, which is why they've sold over three million units. If it isn't broke ...

I'm going to place my bets on a new Nook Classic! I don't think BN has given up on our original model at all.

I love my Aries and not giving it up, but it would be nice to know that there's something to upgrade to when I'm ready.
    Currently Reading:
    A Song of Ice and Fire Series

Next up:
    The Entire Oz Series

Mr. Darcy

If we do see a new nook device from B&N in the near future, I think it is almost certain to utilise e-ink technology and be be an evolution of the original nook. This is purely my own speculation, but I'd look for it to feature full touchscreen capability on a Pearl e-ink display, a colour "Triton" e-ink display, or both.

Puck

Quote Originally Posted by Padawan
    If we do see a new nook device from B&N in the near future, I think it is almost certain to utilise e-ink technology and be be an evolution of the original nook. This is purely my own speculation, but I'd look for it to feature full touchscreen capability on a Pearl e-ink display, a colour "Triton" e-ink display, or both.
    That would be my bet as well.
    Living in my own Private Idaho...

Mowgli

"Barnes & Noble unusually chose to confirm plans for a future Nook with an SEC filing on Wednesday. The posting says only that an unveiling for a “new eReader device” was planned for May 24. It remained silent on details but admitted that it had been forced to make the filing after it hinted at plans in an analyst meeting.

Very little is known about the device’s plans outside of its existence. The bookseller filed for a Nook2 trademark late last year and is very likely to keep running Android in spite of Microsoft’s shakedown lawsuit. A Nook Color launch last fall, along with the Nook2 name, would also imply that the new hardware would use e-paper and not an LCD."
    A great oak was once a defiant nut.
    I am that nut.

Mr. Darcy

There are definite signs that the current eInk Nook is being phased out:
    Sale on cover
    Once accessoires/covers sell out they don't seem to restock.

Hopefully a new eInk with better battery life.
    Asa

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast