"To Kill a Mockingbird" on Nook Color - Purchased, Read, Then Jane Eyre?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Oliver

Default "To Kill a Mockingbird" on Nook Color - Purchased, Read, Then Jane Eyre?

First, has anything like this happened to you? Second, how would you deal with this scenario?

I had purchased "To Kill a Mockingbird" on my brand new Nook Color on 22 May 2011. For several days I had no problems, and read to I think Chapter 9. I went to read more tonight, and find that instead of TKAM (I still see TKAM's cover art) it opens to some Jane Eyre. On the Nook itself I see TKAM's cover art but in the Nook Library on their web site, I see Jane Eyre's cover art instead of the correct TKAM's art. TKAM also showed up as being archived, and I DID NOT archive it myself.

I called up B&N and their obviously offshore'd rep told me it would be about a week before they will have this fixed. So, a book I read for several days, got pretty hooked, I now have to wait a week for B&N to figure out and fix whatever the heck happened? It's a good thing I have a physical copy of this book, otherwise I'd be even more pissed off.

I want to love the Nook, I actually enjoyed reading TKAM electronically, being able to do a simple tap on a screen to hit the next page. But this is a pretty big mess up. And I have other issues with finding quality copies of the classics, but that's for another later thread. Also, I tried looking for TKAM in B&N's web site to think about just repurchasing the book so I could continue reading, but I CANNOT FIND IT now... This smacks of the old Microsoft Zune days when for a few months albums would just get yanked from the Zune Pass and your own Zune device, without warning, notice, or anything...

I want to like e-books, but it seems there are still many kinks to work out.

Jason

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: "To Kill a Mockingbird" on Nook Color - Purchased, Read, Then Jane Eyre?

I don't recall this ever happening before but have you tried to go to your B&N account and archive the book and then refresh on the nook and then unarchive and refresh? And if that does not work have you tried to unregister the nook and re-register and see if the nook will recognize your book again? Don't give up on ebooks because this is not a common problem. I am kind of surprised that TKAM was even available because there have been threads on here about it not being and why.

EDIT: Having just looked TKAM is not available as an ebook download. They probably took it off because it was not yet released.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

Puck

Default Re: "To Kill a Mockingbird" on Nook Color - Purchased, Read, Then Jane Eyre?

something went very wrong there, i have never, ever, ever seen TKAM as an ebook anywhere. study guides, analysis, spark notes, etc. but never the actual book. Harper Lee is still alive, the book is still under copyright and there has been no legal release of the book as an ebook. i have no earthly idea what you were reading but boy, oh boy, if BN put it out there as an ebook i can see why it disappeared with a quickness.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cheap-e-Reads/163454373711210#
    http://cheapereads.blogspot.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Oliver

Well, it was available, it had a cover similar to another edition of it in non-ebook format (the HarperCollins cover, I believe), but was slightly different, and I paid 9.99 for it. Sounds like B&N will be refunding my money soon if this wasn't truly meant to be sold. It is pretty rediculous this isn't available in ebook format, but I suppose that's a whole nother topic that's been beat several times a dead horse. I'm not giving up on e-books just yet, but this little episode didn't help any.

Jason

d'Artagnan

Maybe some joker put it on as a PUBIT book?
    Was it a PUBIT book?
    MikFinkel

Even if there was foul play, BN should not have pulled it from your device. They clearly haven't learned feom Amazon's snafu a few years ago with 1984.
    www.twitter.com/decrescenzo

'The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.' - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by IWantToLikeEbooks
    Well, it was available, it had a cover similar to another edition of it in non-ebook format (the HarperCollins cover, I believe), but was slightly different, and I paid 9.99 for it. Sounds like B&N will be refunding my money soon if this wasn't truly meant to be sold. It is pretty rediculous this isn't available in ebook format, but I suppose that's a whole nother topic that's been beat several times a dead horse. I'm not giving up on e-books just yet, but this little episode didn't help any.

Jason
    The industry is still slowly coming around to accepting ebooks. They aren't all as quick to embrace the awesomeness like we are.
    Glad you're liking your NC!

d'Artagnan

Quote Originally Posted by DeCrescenzo
    Even if there was foul play, BN should not have pulled it from your device. They clearly haven't learned feom Amazon's snafu a few years ago with 1984.
    I don't agree.
    Stolen property is still stolen property.
    Pull it and refund the money at the same time and send an email notice.
    Of course, world class customer service is not B&N's forte ( did I spell that right? )
    B&N, hire me. I can make you have world class c/s!!
    MikFinkel

Tiny Tim

Why wouldn't they pull it from one's Nook if it was not supposed to be on the site in the first place?
    It's the only thing to do and be fair.

Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by MikFinkel
    Was it a PUBIT book?
    I'm not sure if it was PUBIT or not. I know PUBIT is the self-publish thing, but I'm not sure how to tell if one is or not.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast