Nook Simple Touch Reader Reviews

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Oliver

Default Nook Simple Touch Reader Reviews

My first post to the site. I'm new to the eBook world, and I really want the new Nook to be my first eBook reading device.

Looks like a few reviews have already started to appear:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/01/b...k-wifi-review/

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2386228,00.asp

http://reviews.cnet.com/e-book-reade...-34748399.html

http://gizmodo.com/5807381/barnes-an...eader-you-want

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Oliver

Default Re: Nook Simple Touch Reader Reviews

I keep having to edit my original post. There are lots of reviews now.

Looks like the consensus is that if you just want a simple eBook reader, the Nook is the way to go right now. I'm sure the new Kindle will be even better than this, but I don't want to wait months for that to come out... I'll be getting one of these

Oh, I don't know that a refreshed Kindle will be "better" than the Nook 2nd gen. I think simple is always good. Based on what I've read the new Nook seems to be a well thought out device and B&N has seemed to have learned from some of the mistakes they made with the 1st gen. Nook.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

the reviews are all very good, so long as you don't find the inability to act as a tablet and the lack of 3g to be detrimental to an ereader. Personally, I find both of those aspects to be completely non-essential and I'm buying one of these as soon as I hear that the cross-nook sync issues are no more.

Agreed. I think one of the mistakes B&N made with the 1st gen. Nook was they allowed the perception that it could be a sort-of "tablet lite." The e-ink display just isn't appropriate for that and they realized it soon after release and so came the Nook Color, which can be a "tablet lite." I also do not find the lack of 3G a barrier to purchase. Frankly, I think the inclusion of Wi Fi on an eReader is also over-rated, but it is a standard feature now and people expect it, so it is here to stay. At least it doesn't drive up the cost of the devices like the 3G could.

Now if we could just get rid of this dratted DRM and convince the publishers to pay more attention to quality control when producing eBooks we'll really be getting somewhere.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Klaatu
    Now if we could just get rid of this dratted DRM and convince the publishers to pay more attention to quality control when producing eBooks we'll really be getting somewhere.

Regards,
    Michael
    Exactly! My poor hubby with his beloved Sony can not read any of my B&N books. The new nook may well be just the thing for him in order to access my B&N library. Then he can return to Pern and his beloved Sony. LOL!
    The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.
    [color=#339966]~ Albert Einstein[color=#339966]

Tiny Tim

Sorry if 'Im being dense, but what does this mean "Touchscreen less than ideal for non-reading interaction"? I don't know what non-reading interaction is

Tom Sawyer

they might mean surfing the web but it's an ereader so it shouldn't really matter. it's like they were told to come up with a negative comment or two to balance out the review.

Tom Sawyer

Quote Originally Posted by cmessmore
    Sorry if 'Im being dense, but what does this mean "Touchscreen less than ideal for non-reading interaction"? I don't know what non-reading interaction is
    It probably means things like highlighting text. I've read on several of the reviews that there is a very slight pause between touching the screen and having it respond to you, so if you are trying to highlight specific words on the screen, I could see where that slight pause could be troublesome until you get used to it.

d'Artagnan

I'm beginning to have no patience for these reviews anymore. And not just with the Nook, but they're docking points for stupid reasons, such as "no 3G" (on a WiFi device? Really? Would you dock an iPod for not having 3G capabilities?), "Not a Kindle" (because if it's not a Kindle, what's the point?), and "single purpose device" (because we don't have enough media devices to play Angry Birds on).

Currently Reading:
    A Song of Ice and Fire Series

Next up:
    The Entire Oz Series

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast