Using Nook in Australia

Oliver

Default Using Nook in Australia

I have just discovered that I am limited as to what I can purchase outside of the US and Canada. Does anyone else have the same problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: Using Nook in Australia

Yes, everyone has the same "issue."

B&N doesn't have permission from the book publishers to sell outside the U.S., its territories, or Canada, so no shopping directly on the Nook. You might want to check out the "Traveling" section of the FAQ on B&N's Nook web site.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

Puck

Default Re: Using Nook in Australia

I can't recommend a specific vendor, but you can always try a VPN provider or maybe a proxy.

Basically B&N limits your choices because when you visit their website they can see that your computer's IP address is an Australian IP and not a US address. VPN's create secure connections to another system. Once that connection is up anything you do online will appear to come from the other system. If you log in to a VPN server based in the US, then go to BN.com they'll only see the American server and should let you purchase books as if you were physically in America.

Proxies work similarly, but are less secure than VPN (although for something like this security isn't really an issue) and only affect your web browser as opposed to everything on your computer. You may even be able to find free proxy services somewhere.