Books in Series on Nook Simple Touch (CALIBRE)

Tom Sawyer

Default Books in Series on Nook Simple Touch (CALIBRE)

Some helpful soul over on the BN boards dropped this bit of brilliance, and I thought I'd share it here, for anyone who is already familiar with book organization and Metadata Plugboards in Calibre. You *can* get the ST to recognize and organize books by series title and number. I was rather put out when I first got mine, because I'd set up my Nook Classic to recognize series through Calibre, and figured, the metadata was on my SD card, so I should have been able to just pop it out of my Classic and into my Simple Touch and just go. But my series information got lost.

Apparently, in Calibre, you have to set it up a Nook Color metadata plugboard, and that is what the Simple Touch will recognize. The details on how to do this are in this thread here: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...unread-message

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

d'Artagnan

Default Re: Books in Series on Nook Simple Touch (CALIBRE)

Quote Originally Posted by pelespen
    Some helpful soul over on the BN boards dropped this bit of brilliance, and I thought I'd share it here, for anyone who is already familiar with book organization and Metadata Plugboards in Calibre. You *can* get the ST to recognize and organize books by series title and number. I was rather put out when I first got mine, because I'd set up my Nook Classic to recognize series through Calibre, and figured, the metadata was on my SD card, so I should have been able to just pop it out of my Classic and into my Simple Touch and just go. But my series information got lost.

Apparently, in Calibre, you have to set it up a Nook Color metadata plugboard, and that is what the Simple Touch will recognize. The details on how to do this are in this thread here: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...unread-message

I haven't messed with those plug-ins (but do use others) - but I always go into the metadata to change the title of my series books so that they'll sort in order - example: for the Harry Dresden series by Jim Butcher, I go to metadata and Storm Front becomes Dresden 01 - Storm Front, Fool Moon is Dresden 02 - Full Moon, etc, etc. If there are novellas in between they become something like Dresden 12.5 - Side Jobs. I add the 0 in front of the single digit numbers so they'll pop up first, otherwise they'll usually end up in the wrong place.

I did notice something else regarding metadata, though, not quite the same as your situation, but it might be related. When my laptop had a semi-crash recently, I'd already backed up my Calibre library on a flash drive, and when I reloaded Calibre and tried to dump the library straight back into Calibre, my metadata changes seemed to be lost. Wasn't happy about that, I'd spent a fair amount of time on it. But then I realized I needed to add them back Calibre differently - for the life of me I can't remember for sure (and it wasn't that long ago!!), but I believe I'd first tried to used the "Add Books from a Single Directory" option, but realized I needed to add from directories including sub-directories, assuming every file is a different book. I think. My aging brain just can't remember for sure right now. But sure enough, when I did it correctly all my metadata changes were still intact, which was a huge relief!
    em
    Kindling since August 2008, Kindle Fire, K$79; Nook Color w/N2A card; iPad 1

Tom Sawyer

Just out of curiosity...do you need to get involved with any DRM mumbo-jumbo to edit metadata in Calibre?

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

If the file is protected by DRM, then yes. There apparently might be plug-ins that will do that for you, but I would know NOTHING ABOUT THAT.

I tried the Plugboard, but the series are still not showing up on my ST?

d'Artagnan

Quote Originally Posted by dbeman
    Just out of curiosity...do you need to get involved with any DRM mumbo-jumbo to edit metadata in Calibre?
    Nope. You can edit the metadata in DRMed books. (Used to not be the case, but it's been possible for a while now.)

ETA: At least that's the case with Kindle books. I don't know that I've tried to edit the metadata on books with B&N DRM on them.
    em

Meemo-
    Did you happen to figure out how to get the Series in the title name? I think I'm missing a step in the Plugboard settings and I can't figure out what?

d'Artagnan

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf99
    Meemo-
    Did you happen to figure out how to get the Series in the title name? I think I'm missing a step in the Plugboard settings and I can't figure out what?
    I don't use the plug-ins to change metadata - I just highlight a book, select "Edit Metadata", and change the name of the book to whatever I want. I also make sure the author's name is Last Name, First Name in both author fields while I'm at it, so they'll all sort the same way. I also add the name of the series and the # in the Edit Metadata area. That way I can also sort by series in Calibre and see all the series I have grouped together.

I didn't see the value of Calibre for a long time, now I automatically send all my books there as soon as I get them & clean up the metadata the way I want them.
    em

Mowgli

Here's the instructions for creating the plugboard:
    Go to Preferences->Metadata Plugboards
    then add the following:
    Format [Any format] Device [Nook] (Or whichever version of Nook you use)
    Source template: {series} {series_index:0>2s} {title}
    Destination Field [title]
    and save
    Here's a screenshot of what my plugboards look like:
    [img width=600 height=209]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v137/coastal_artist/plugboardscreen.png[/img]
    Attached Images Attached Images