Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    d'Artagnan

Default Amazon is nobody’s friend, part one

MikFinkel

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

d'Artagnan

When he gets this wrong: "On the other hand, the three other major ebook retailers – Apple, Barnes & Noble, and Google (plus all the independent booksellers Google partners with) – use some variation of EPUB format which is device agnostic and can be used with all the ebook readers, computers, and smart phones out there (except for the Kindle).", it's difficult for me to take the rest of it seriously. Try putting a Nook book on a Sony or Kobo reader. If you can do that, you can put it on a Kindle - or a Kindle book on a Nook, for that matter. And try putting an iBooks book on ANY non-Apple device. Just sayin'....
    em
    Kindling since August 2008, Kindle Fire, K$79; Nook Color w/N2A card; iPad 1

Puck

Yeah, he's really stretching it in a few places. For instance:

It’s interesting to note that, at Library Thing (where this is no sign of Amazon’s relationship), as opposed to Shelfari, clicking on a specific book takes you to a page where Amazon is listed as a seller, along with Abebooks, but they also list Google Books and Project Gutenberg (a world-wide free electronic library). And, if you click on the “Local Book Search” link, you’ll even find a listing for Barnes & Noble’s web-site. Of course, even once B&N shows up, the listing is alphabetical so they’re after Amazon and Abebooks. Tricksey, aren’t they?
    Unindicted conspirator of the Amazon monopoly, THE ENGLISH ALPHABET!!!

Too many of his arguments seemed based on the premise that because people are lazy and Amazon is the easiest option, Amazon has some sort of responsibility to make it harder/more expensive to get stuff from them in order to make the world a better place.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mr. Darcy

Default Bet this guy coul only afford a Nook

<<< whether you think I’m a complete crack-pot, touchy-feely, post-hippie loser who doesn’t understand the realities of business in the 21st century>>>>

Could not have said it better myself.,

I just bought a Kindle3 for $120, a month later they reduce the price to $99 and release the Kindle Touch at $79
    Amazon is the DEVIL!

All the rest of the rubbish, calibre converted all my EPUB to MOBI in seconds.
    I have only purchased 1 ebook ever, from Amazon @ $1.37 despite owning a Nook for over a year.
    Loads of places to get ebooks not on his list (what about project Gutenberg)

d'Artagnan

Quote Originally Posted by sarahsbloke View Post
    I just bought a Kindle3 for $120, a month later they reduce the price to $99 and release the Kindle Touch at $79
    Amazon is the DEVIL!

All the rest of the rubbish, calibre converted all my EPUB to MOBI in seconds.
    I have only purchased 1 ebook ever, from Amazon @ $1.37 despite owning a Nook for over a year.
    Loads of places to get ebooks not on his list (what about project Gutenberg)
    My favorite is www.feedbooks.com
    MikFinkel

d'Artagnan

If it was less than 30 days ago, and if you bought it direct from Amazon, they'd refund you the $20. I know yours is a special circumstance though, that someone bought it for you and quite possibly not from Amazon. But thought it was worth mentioning...
    em

d'Artagnan

I love feedbooks. Do they have a catalog you can load onto the Nook like the one for the Kindle? You can search for books directly from the device that way and download wirelessly - I looked briefly for one but never pursued it. Mobileread had one as well. It's kind of like Gutenberg's Magic Catalog, which does come as an ePub as well as mobi.
    em

Mr. Darcy

Quote Originally Posted by sarahsbloke View Post
    Amazon is the DEVIL!
    The Kindle Touch is $99 with "Special Offers", $139 without. The $79 model doesn't have a touchscreen (or a keyboard).

d'Artagnan

Quote Originally Posted by MarkScheuern View Post
    The Kindle Touch is $99 with "Special Offers", $139 without. The $79 model doesn't have a touchscreen (or a keyboard).
    so how do you operate it with no touch screen or keyboard?
    MikFinkel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast