Hacked Nook Color vs. Nook Tablet for 11 year old - cost a factor

Oliver

Default Hacked Nook Color vs. Nook Tablet for 11 year old - cost a factor

I'm considering a reader or tablet for my girl's 11th birthday in early December or at least for Christmas. A couple months ago I zeroed-in on the concept of a rooted or otherwise hacked Color Nook. She's a voracious reader, but has no computer of her own. When she gets to borrow Mom's iPad or a PC, she loves educational games and visiting websites that have the same. She also uses the internet for school assignments too - basic web surfing. I can also see her starting a music collection and loading some movies for a car or airplane trip. She'll continue to have access to our PCs for things that might be tough on a Nook ... printing, word processing, etc. But she would be elated to have a device that is "her's" that will fill 90% of her electronic gadgetry needs. I'm pretty sure a rooted Color Nook would fill the bill for everything she needs. It looks like B&N has refurbished Color Nooks for $149 now. So we are talking $100 less than the soon-to-be Nook Tablet. This kid is smart, but sometimes clumsy or forgetful. One of my main concerns is containing the losses if she damages or misplaces such a wonderful device (we'll hammer her with threats, but it's still possible!); we'd be within $50 of a replacement Color Nook for the amount spent on one Nook Tablet. But if the Tablet is going to be vastly superior in capability and function, we'll consider it. Of course then we have to give consideration to a host of other Android tablets in the same price range. Bottom line is that I'm not sure just how a hacked Nook stacks up against the Nook Tablet and other Androids. So will the Nook Tablet be worth the extra $100 for our uses, do you think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Oliver

Ooops, meant Best Buy has the refurbs for $149

I think a rooted nook would be great. B&N has a lot of kids stuff, and with access to the android market, I think it would be a good combination. I have heard some of the read to me books are pretty cool.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

d'Artagnan

I got a Vizio 8" tablet at BJ's for $189.95 and wish I knew they had a $20 warranty instead of the $89.95 SquareTrade warranty.
    The Vizio is awesome, a full Android tablet with the Aldiko, Kindle and B&N app works awesome as an ereader.
    Way better than rooting.
    MikFinkel

d'Artagnan

I don't see a significant increase in the Nook Tablet over the Nookcolor to justify paying a premium. And BN has great refurb units.
    Currently Reading:
    A Song of Ice and Fire Series

Next up:
    The Entire Oz Series

Puck

Even better as was considering a refrub and Now B&N ebay has them for $119 So Even Better!

Oliver

I went with the Nook Tablet, it has a microphone and I can record books in my voice for my child. Although the microphone by itself doesn't necessarily justify an extra $100, the other hardware specs (such as a dual core processor) does - at least for me.