First post bought it today and did not think would be this challenged

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Oliver

Default First post bought it today and did not think would be this challenged

First off i am only going to use this for Sunday School nothing else.
    Truthfully I expected more then this 8 step start up guide. I live a distance
    from the Barnes & Nobel so the associates are not an option.
    Is there a good user guide. And yes I guess I am 80 and getting comprehension challenged,
    Please do not characterize this as a "rant" just frustrated old man.
    So got rid faces on home and want to go to bible and learn to search and save if possible
    This is $99 one
    Please advise

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

d'Artagnan

Not all that sure what you want to rant about.
    MikFinkel

Tiny Tim

Quote Originally Posted by MikFinkel View Post
    Not all that sure what you want to rant about.
    Apparently he purchased a Touch and wants to know how to use it. I don't have it, so I'm no help.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

d'Artagnan

Isn't there a guide on the device itself? On both of my nooks (3g and nook color) there is a guide installed on the device directly. You can also just ask specific questions
    here and some one can talk you through the steps. For example, do you have it registered yet? That is pretty simple and needs to be done before you get the bible you want downloaded.

d'Artagnan

Under the circumstances, it would probably be best to go in store for assistance.
    MikFinkel

Oliver

I will say that the nook simple touch is much better at loading and searching the bible than either the 1st gen or the color but it's still not as good as the real book in the hands of someone familiar with it. I think you can get the Holeman Bible free and it's got pretty good navigation controls. The free KJVs don't work well though.

Oliver

I don't know if this will help or not, you may need more basic help with just the operation of the device.

However, it helps me to remember that the NOOK is a reader, not a textbook, a personal computer or a research device. It works great when you want read a book from front to back, have it keep your place etc.. It also may help you to remember that the Bible is not one book, it is a collection of books. If you can find downloads (either study guides or commentaries or a specific website with pdfs) that have the individual books to download as ebooks, I think your results will be much better. As others have pointed out, not all ebook versions of the Bible are created equal. Some of them navigate much better than others.

If you are accustomed to studying the bible with a set of colored pencils in hand, a concordance, and a couple of commentaries, I think you are going find the NOOK lacking. If you just want a version with one set of commentaries, and to be able to bounce back and forth between references there are a couple of the newer ebooks that work pretty well.

Godspeed, and develop a thick skin if you are going to the internet forums for help.
    Last edited by mornhm; 12-20-2011 at 09:57 AM.

Oliver

Default Specifics on navigation

Quote Originally Posted by mornhm View Post
    I don't know if this will help or not, you may need more basic help with just the operation of the device.

However, it helps me to remember that the NOOK is a reader, not a textbook, a personal computer or a research device. It works great when you want read a book from front to back, have it keep your place etc.. It also may help you to remember that the Bible is not one book, it is a collection of books. If you can find downloads (either study guides or commentaries or a specific website with pdfs) that have the individual books to download as ebooks, I think your results will be much better. As others have pointed out, not all ebook versions of the Bible are created equal. Some of them navigate much better than others.

If you are accustomed to studying the bible with a set of colored pencils in hand, a concordance, and a couple of commentaries, I think you are going find the NOOK lacking. If you just want a version with one set of commentaries, and to be able to bounce back and forth between references there are a couple of the newer ebooks that work pretty well.

Godspeed, and develop a thick skin if you are going to the internet forums for help.
    Of the replies yours seemed to be the most user friendly, so with reservations I will get specific. Note I have a thick skin, I live a distance from a B&N and my only interest in the nook is bible related. Presently have (2) downloaded and want to be able to switch, between, compare and make notes. Question: in your estimation do I have the correct device? and if I do how can I better utilize B&N on PC. I am quite computer literate and at 80 am characterized as a Linux Nerd (4 operating systems)
    1. Nook is on I want Bible (A) and I want table contents all books to choose.
    2. I am in a passage in book (A) new testament in Mark lets say and from there I want to navigate to table contents to go to a book in OT chapter and verse.
    3. I want to make a note here and be able to come back to it from
    (Bible B)
    4. From that chap+verse in (A) how do I get to table contents in bible (B) and after choosing chap-verse how do i get back to the note I made.
    Note I know I am asking a great deal and perhaps this is not the device to accomplish my ends, but someone said ask questions, be specific
    so I have.
    Please advise and thank you

d'Artagnan

If you run a linux computer you can get the nook app downloaded through wine. I personally have found it to be less then ideal in all respects and use it only to get my BN books downloaded to calibre for storage. I don't think you are going to like using it for what you say you need. I have found it to be very very limited and all but useless for anything but very basic reading. I have it on my rooted nook color and dislike it there as well as on my linux laptop.

As for the rest of what you describe, I think this is going to be specific to exactly which bible you have as each will work differently. As I understand it, some bibles will allow you
    to access table of contents, some won't. Some will allow making notes and some won't. Unfortunately, unless this is mentioned in the description for each book, you won't know if a specific bible will do what you want until it is on your nook (and that might mean paying money for something that is useless to you).

I have also heard that people are having trouble getting the simple nook to act the way they want regarding highlighting and looking things up. I don't know if this is because they aren't using the device properly or if the simple nook won't do what they want it to do.

Finally, I have heard that there are books available (bibles are included in this list) that are considered 'enhanced' and are only useful on the nook color or tablet. These books might do what you want more easily. These books are not usable on the simple nook at all.

Oliver

Default Appreciate that reply

Quote Originally Posted by nookreader654 View Post
    If you run a linux computer you can get the nook app downloaded through wine. I personally have found it to be less then ideal in all respects and use it only to get my BN books downloaded to calibre for storage. I don't think you are going to like using it for what you say you need. I have found it to be very very limited and all but useless for anything but very basic reading. I have it on my rooted nook color and dislike it there as well as on my linux laptop.

As for the rest of what you describe, I think this is going to be specific to exactly which bible you have as each will work differently. As I understand it, some bibles will allow you
    to access table of contents, some won't. Some will allow making notes and some won't. Unfortunately, unless this is mentioned in the description for each book, you won't know if a specific bible will do what you want until it is on your nook (and that might mean paying money for something that is useless to you).

I have also heard that people are having trouble getting the simple nook to act the way they want regarding highlighting and looking things up. I don't know if this is because they aren't using the device properly or if the simple nook won't do what they want it to do.

Finally, I have heard that there are books available (bibles are included in this list) that are considered 'enhanced' and are only useful on the nook color or tablet. These books might do what you want more easily. These books are not usable on the simple nook at all.

I did not mean to imply I was using Linux and only mentioned it to illustrate my overall PC expertise which in my view has absolutely nothing to do
    with understanding or navigating the Nook. Your reply and its specifics got me to thinking my initial choice of the nook given my needs could have stood a little more thought.
    What I did discover was the app that in my case allowed the bible download to my PC which incidentally is the NAB was in itself quite handy. If it were possible to do that with my other bible
    the Douay-Rheims I could forget the Nook and just go between the 2 on my PC preparing my class. Again thanks for reply

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast