[?] The contrast on my new Simple Touch with Glow Light

Mr. Darcy

Default [?] The contrast on my new Simple Touch with Glow Light

Hey guys!

So I've been using a regular Nook Simple Touch for a long time now, and I recently bought the Simple Touch with Glow light (I'll call it STGL). I have noticed that the contrast on my old Simple Touch is VASTLY superior to this new one.

I have heard that the new one has worse contrast, but by this much? I have also heard that people have for other reasons got a replacement STGL, and that the ones they got as replacements are much much better. They compared the two STGL, their old one and the replacement and the replacement has much better contrast.

My STGL is really grey whereas my old Nook is so much whiter.

My question is, should I call B&N and ask for a replacement? I have the two year extended warranty and I would really prefer to have a STGL with better contrast if possible.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

I don't know if they would just replace it for no reason, you may have to have an issue with it first. I went to BN to check out the glow lights because I would really like them. I didn't really see that big of a difference in the two, perhaps a minor difference. Maybe I'd see a difference if I was using it on a regular basis.
    www.twitter.com/decrescenzo

'The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.' - Ayn Rand

Mr. Darcy

Quote Originally Posted by DeCrescenzo View Post
    I don't know if they would just replace it for no reason, you may have to have an issue with it first. I went to BN to check out the glow lights because I would really like them. I didn't really see that big of a difference in the two, perhaps a minor difference. Maybe I'd see a difference if I was using it on a regular basis.
    Did you compare on-display glow lights? Because if so, it is possible that they are both from very early stock I suppose, and there might not be much of a difference between the two. I am hoping that maybe a refurbished replacement will have the latest changes (if any) incorporated in to it. I know it sounds crazy, but I have a feeling that it is possible that the newer stock might have been improved.

Here are photographs to compare the two. My old Simple Touch to the right, and the Glow Light version to the left. You can see that the text on the Glow Light in comparison to the old one is much blurrier, and the blacks are much duller and the white is much more gray. I do not know if this is just how it is or not because when I opened up the Glow Light version it felt like a huge downgrade to the screen. Perhaps the difference seems insignificant from the photographs (also, the photographs don't capture the difference as it is in real life), but it's hard to use this when I know my older one is so much nicer to read with in daylight. It's even harder still for me to use it when I've read reports that people's replacements have looked a lot better.

Last edited by lokesh; 11-24-2012 at 07:58 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

It does look different. I think I know what you mean. I remember when I heard about the clarity of the ST screen compared to the classic. At the time I remember thinking that the classic looked great. It was only after I got my wife the ST that I needed to upgrade because the difference was noticeable then. If someone only used the GL version they probably would be happy and not notice. This sounds petty, but what I don't like is the light colored outside edge of the GL.

All that being said, I'm probably still getting one. I do a lot of reading in the dark so it makes since. The Glowlights are what I'm looking for, because that's one less thing I need to have with me. I understand that it is a trade off.

I also love the battery life on my ST and I have to give some of it up with the GL. Do the lights use a lot of the battery life?
    www.twitter.com/decrescenzo

'The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.' - Ayn Rand

Mr. Darcy

The glowlight is so convenient, I really like it! Being able to adjust the intensity is also a really great feature. I use the glowlight at almost the lowest setting and I find that a very comfortable intensity to read at in complete darkness.

Because of the fact that I use the glowlight at such a low setting, I am not sure if my experience with battery life will be the same for you. But as of right now, just like with my older Simple Touch, I charge it so rarely that I lose track of how many days have gone by in between. This is with at least an hour or so of reading every night with the glowlight on. It probably is a lot more with the glowlight off, but it still lasts so long anyway that I pretty much can't tell the difference.